LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Bold Predictions - 1.0

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Aldon Smith breaks Michael Strahan's single season sack record.
Originally posted by cashmahne:

Nope... and the only reason is because he'll see double-teams now, just like Clay Matthews last year. But having our monstrous D-line and Ahmad Brooks on the other side does help tremendously.
gore will be in the backfield on 3rd down more than expected
Prediction of 3rd down sets starting by game 5:

La Michael set wide in the backfield to rt, and AJ set in slot to left. On snap, alex gives quick look at AJ( and throws if open), then quick peek at Vernon, with a pump fake, and then a shovel or short pass to La Michael running laterally. ONe of the three will be open. Also alex takes a quick peek at mario(or moss, crbtre, delanie, etc) if no one else is open. But with La Michael there, my guess he is always open, and then he dances for 1st down.
La Michael James will have 2300 all purpose yards and 7 tds scored multiple ways. Alex will have a pro-bowl quality start, get injured, Kaep will take over and take the league by storm. Alex will then become expendable, but qb hungry teams will offer us a 1 and a 2 for him. We will accept and be dominant for years to come!!!
[ Edited by Irish40Niner on May 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
La Michael James will have 2300 all purpose yards and 7 tds scored multiple ways. Alex will have a pro-bowl quality start, get injured, Kaep will take over and take the league by storm. Alex will then become expendable, but qb hungry teams will offer us a 1 and a 2 for him. We will except and be dominant for years to come!!!

Originally posted by NCommand:
Lets make no mistake about this, the coaches BADLY want to get Boone on the field and with as poor of an OL we had last year (44 sacks, lead the league in QB pressures under 3 seconds, poor short yardage team, horrendous 1st and 3rd down %'s, etc.), I have no doubt this OL will be under heavy scrutiny this offseason and many combinations will be tried.

Staley has never been a guy who has ever been challenged for his position. I agree with FO and other sites after reviewing tape of Staley all year long that he was well below average and a bigger issue than fans realize which was only magnified by his pro bowl birth. He gave up quite a few key sacks, a lot of hits/pressures and was typically destroyed 1x1 in the run-game and that was WITH a ton of help from Iupati sliding over to help on virtually every snap. He is a big reason we rarely run off-tackle to his side. That said, he's very athletic, has a great attitude and work ethic and nobody is better at blocking down field on the run.

I think with plenty of tape to review, including last year's performance, we genuinely could see Staley challenged by Boone who does appear stronger, just as athletic and hungry as Staley. He's ready and like so many last year (Brooks, Brown, Aldon, Bowman, etc.) he just needs a chance and an opportunity to grow.

If, and it's a BIG IF, Kilgore or another owns the RG spot, I could see a bold prediction of Boone winning a T spot, Staley being traded for a high pick and us nabbing a FA veteran as insurance. It's unlikely but given the microscope this OL will be under with a full offseason of assessments and how badly this coaching staff wants Boone on the field, I wouldn't be shocked at all. Either way, I'd personally like to see Staley genuinely challenged for the first time in his career.

I disagree with you about where our OL is at. They started off bad... but as soon as Chilo was benched they played very well. I think a major change-up would not be helpful and is very unlikely. Why is it that Alex Smith and the other skill players get a pass because we had no offseason to learn the playbook but the OL doesn't?

I do agree that Staley is not a dominant run blocker. But we have run the ball successfully despite that so I think we can live with that. Boone is unproven and nobody on this forum has any evidence that he will be any better than Staley or Davis.

Here is a bold prediction for you... Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone/Kilgore, and Davis will prove to be one of the best OLs in the league this year.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

No? It's more like mu ha ha ha ha..... Yes, now my evil plan is complete!!!
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:

No? It's more like mu ha ha ha ha..... Yes, now my evil plan is complete!!!

Originally posted by blm7754:
I disagree with you about where our OL is at. They started off bad... but as soon as Chilo was benched they played very well. I think a major change-up would not be helpful and is very unlikely. Why is it that Alex Smith and the other skill players get a pass because we had no offseason to learn the playbook but the OL doesn't?

I do agree that Staley is not a dominant run blocker. But we have run the ball successfully despite that so I think we can live with that. Boone is unproven and nobody on this forum has any evidence that he will be any better than Staley or Davis.

Here is a bold prediction for you... Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone/Kilgore, and Davis will prove to be one of the best OLs in the league this year.
"And you can take that to the bank"

Originally posted by cashmahne:

Nope... and the only reason is because he'll see double-teams now, just like Clay Matthews last year. But having our monstrous D-line and Ahmad Brooks on the other side does help tremendously.

And fatigue...not to mention he won't be just pinning his ears back either. He'll have to assess plays, play the screen, drop back in zone, play the run, etc.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Lets make no mistake about this, the coaches BADLY want to get Boone on the field and with as poor of an OL we had last year (44 sacks, lead the league in QB pressures under 3 seconds, poor short yardage team, horrendous 1st and 3rd down %'s, etc.), I have no doubt this OL will be under heavy scrutiny this offseason and many combinations will be tried.

Staley has never been a guy who has ever been challenged for his position. I agree with FO and other sites after reviewing tape of Staley all year long that he was well below average and a bigger issue than fans realize which was only magnified by his pro bowl birth. He gave up quite a few key sacks, a lot of hits/pressures and was typically destroyed 1x1 in the run-game and that was WITH a ton of help from Iupati sliding over to help on virtually every snap. He is a big reason we rarely run off-tackle to his side. That said, he's very athletic, has a great attitude and work ethic and nobody is better at blocking down field on the run.

I think with plenty of tape to review, including last year's performance, we genuinely could see Staley challenged by Boone who does appear stronger, just as athletic and hungry as Staley. He's ready and like so many last year (Brooks, Brown, Aldon, Bowman, etc.) he just needs a chance and an opportunity to grow.

If, and it's a BIG IF, Kilgore or another owns the RG spot, I could see a bold prediction of Boone winning a T spot, Staley being traded for a high pick and us nabbing a FA veteran as insurance. It's unlikely but given the microscope this OL will be under with a full offseason of assessments and how badly this coaching staff wants Boone on the field, I wouldn't be shocked at all. Either way, I'd personally like to see Staley genuinely challenged for the first time in his career.

Love it!

I agree that the OL was the product of no off season, teams exploiting them in pass rush, lack of skill positions, vanilla play calling, teams continuing to run blitz us between the T's with 8-9 in the box, etc. Truly. I hope your prediction comes true...finally this coaching staff has a full off season to evaluate the OL and the best 5 so we shall see. In the end, you are probably right with the top 5 BUT I doubt they end up being one of the best. I'd take average right now with lots of upside and potential and youth waiting in the balance.
Can someone please point me to a scrap of evidence that indicates Boone is good enough to supplant a pro bowl left tackle?
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 16, 2012 at 3:44 PM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Can someone please point me to a scrap of evidence that indicates Boone is good enough to supplant a pro bowl left tackle?

Can someone point to me a scrap of evidence that Brooks is better than Lawson, that Brown is better then Spencer, that Whitner is better than Williams, that Bowman is better than TKO, that Sopoaga is better than Franklin, that Smith is better than Haralson, that McDonald is better than...oh wait, never mind!

Potential sometimes just needs a chance and an opportunity to grow. It's called development. And Boone has been developing for years!
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Glad we agree on Ginn. But there's nothing in Moss' history that tells me he's gonna make this team. His form means little to me. He's gonna be asked to do things in this offense that he's never shown he can/will/want to do on a cosistant basis. Does he look good? Absolutely! At this point he's suppose to. He's not gonna be happy being a decoy; he's gonna want to be a major part of the offense but I'm not sure he's gonna do the things needed to be a big part. If he does, fine. But I seriously doubt it.

Cam could play DE, if he bulked up. Bulking up fo hm won't be too much of a problem given his frame. But the injury to Fleming has given me doubts he'll play anything other than OLB, but hell need to lose a few to be affective there. He's a project regardless of the position. Bottem line, at some point we are gonna have to think about the future of Justin Smith's position.

As for QB I just think with all the new talent I don't see JH using a spot on the 53 for a spot that depends on a disaster to see the field. With the looming roster battles for sub-starter, OG, and WR a 3rd QB becomes dead weight. Besides, this is a settled position.

Moss is not going to be an everydown player we both know that. He will come in on pass plays, but the QB has the option to audible if the D overreacts to Moss. The key will be for Moss to get involved early in the season and forcing people to go ...oh Moss seems to be back. Moss is a veteran, but people are forgetting one thing about his last year. He went from one team to another and never had a chance to assimilate. Also, the teams he went to weren't the best situation for him. I think the year off will show it re-invigorated him. He is also playing for a quote on quote contract year.

Gaining weight is not an easy thing to do and maintain your speed and strength. I don't think DE is his natural position, in high school and the first two years of college he was a LB. At most he'll gain 10 maybe 12 lbs in the next two years. The person replacing Smith should be at 285 and up in the 3-4 at least.

As for QB, is not a done deal, yes Smith is designated as the starter, but if he was all that then we wouldn't have gone fishing for one and two, would have given him a 5 year deal. If you have talent at the position you don't give it away. QB's are very valuable, more than any other position, you can get a possible high pick for someone who plays a couple of game and flashes possibilities. It is also harder to bring someone in after the fact. Plus chance favors the prepared mind. In this case if you only have two, chances are an injury will result. If you are prepared for it, chances are it won't happen-if we were a team in the bottom you might take that risk. Like I said several teams went south when they were considered playoff teams after their QB went down.

We were lucky last year except at wr concerning injuries. this year we are already down one at OLB. Also, just because we signed Jacobs and Manningham -it doesn't mean they are a lock.
Share 49ersWebzone