There are 214 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Karma's Initial 2012 Roster Prediction

Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
DIsagree with not keeping Cartwright and Jones. I don't think the team carries 6 WRs, when the 6th won't ever see the field, we hardly carried all 5 active last year, so 6 isn't a good idea.

Also, Cartwright and Jones are among the best 53 players IMO, so you keep the best 53, not keeping players who are projects, when you keep players who will contribute to the team.

I respect that opinion. Jones and Cartwright are two of the best Special Teamers in the league, but does that make them part of the best 53? Is the fall off to the next two Special Teamers bigger than the drop off we would see if Jones had to play Safety? I'm not saying either way, but it is an interesting dilemma.

The number 6 was the tough part for me. It came down to either 6 WRs or 6 RBs. Consider that the team kept 6 Safeties last when when that position became an issue with Goldson's late signing and the injuries during camp. One of those positions gets 6 players. In fact, I feel like Williams is a better option to keep than Ginn if we had to choose. That is based only on the idea that LaMichael james or Perrish Cox could take over the return duties. Williams is actually turning into a good receiver.

It will be 6 RBs is Cartwright proves himself too valuable on ST. It's going to be interesting!

Remember that we still have Jewel Hampton at RB. So there may be some surprises that come out of Training Camp. Hampton may end up being one of the running backs. Also remember that Harbaugh has no loyalties and will select the final number of players that he feesl he will have the best chance to win with. So if Dixon, Jacobs, Cartwright can't cut it but Hampton can. They are gone.
I'm looking at my numbers, and Haralson will need to cut his salary, or he is cut, at the pace, we won't have much, if any cap room heading into 2012, and you need cap room in case of emergencies. It could be between Haralson or Jacobs who gets cut, Haralson more likely as he makes 2.87M, we would save $2.77M of it.

Also keeping Cartwright also allows us to create cap space due to the veteran discount credit, where Jacobs doesn't due to a higher deal.

I'm doing a mock roster and cap space, and I'm having a tough time making sure we will be under the cap come september. If we plan on keeping Jacobs and Haralson, haralson will have to take a pay cut, no way around it.
With Fleming out, I would change my projections to include Colin Jones at Safety to replace his roster spot.
With Fleming out, I would change my projections to include Colin Jones at Safety to replace his roster spot.

Too late for that! Colin is offended and will be taking back his fruit-basket anyway.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Too late for that! Colin is offended and will be taking back his fruit-basket anyway.

I spoke to Colin. He said he is just honored to make the roster and promises to work on his value to the team. He also thanked me for my time. Seems like a nice kid!

:D
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Thats a lot of guards I'm thinking we need another back up tackle. I dont think the additions of looney and slowey bode well for person.

But looking at the roster right now, which other tackle could earn a spot, Hall?