LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

Report: 49ers hire former Wazzu head coach as offensive assistant

Shop Find 49ers gear online
his face reminds me too much of this guy.....

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/05/11/report-49ers-hire-former-wazzu-head-coach-as-offensive-assistant/

Paul Wulff

Nice.
Originally posted by EdEs:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Harbaugh sure has a lot of help. Some would say he has coaches coming out of the Wazzu.....

I lulz'd

me too

it was corny but cool.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Cool. Maybe another candidate to be Roman's successor. His record at Wazzu is awful though.

Yeah his record worries me....
Harbs sees something in him I don't. In harbaugh I trust.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Harbaugh sure has a lot of help. Some would say he has coaches coming out of the Wazzu.....

Jesus Christ

He looks like Joe Klecko

Harbaugh must have meshed well with him when discussing football , but it's a plus if Wulff can learn the system and step in when Roman is offered a head coach gig
Lol, Wulff
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigbobby49:
Cool. Maybe another candidate to be Roman's successor. His record at Wazzu is awful though.

Yeah, I had to do some research because of it.

What I found is that prior to his hiring in 2008 Wazzu was completely gutted by terrible recruiting and were facing academic sanctions that lead to reduced scholarships. Basically, he inherited a huge pile of crap.

He didn't exactly do much to inspire a ton of confidence, but considering the situation, I don't think it's as bad as it looks. Wulff slowly (very slowly) was improving the team even though he was handicapped by sanctions (which, ironically, end this season). Last season started out well, but then everything fell apart. The positives to take out of it is that despite having a QB injury carousel Wazzu was ranked 9th nationally and second in conference in passing offense. It seems that Wulff was able to bring in some talented players to the offense and utilized them fairly well.

Wazzu hired Mike Leach after firing Wulff and are now being talked about as a potential bowl game team. It seems to me that Wulff was brought in to weather the storm and was never expected to be the guy to complete the turn around. He didn't earn the chance to be that guy, but he may have been able to accomplish it had he stayed on for the last year of his contract. We'll never know what could have been, but at least it appears that he left the team in a better situation than it was in when he arrived.

So, he's far from flashy, but like others have already said... I trust Harbaugh.
Just another one of those moves that I go WTF about and that end up being good in hindsight so .... cool I guess.

Originally posted by Wodwo:
Yeah, I had to do some research because of it.

What I found is that prior to his hiring in 2008 Wazzu was completely gutted by terrible recruiting and were facing academic sanctions that lead to reduced scholarships. Basically, he inherited a huge pile of crap.

He didn't exactly do much to inspire a ton of confidence, but considering the situation, I don't think it's as bad as it looks. Wulff slowly (very slowly) was improving the team even though he was handicapped by sanctions (which, ironically, end this season). Last season started out well, but then everything fell apart. The positives to take out of it is that despite having a QB injury carousel Wazzu was ranked 9th nationally and second in conference in passing offense. It seems that Wulff was able to bring in some talented players to the offense and utilized them fairly well.

Wazzu hired Mike Leach after firing Wulff and are now being talked about as a potential bowl game team. It seems to me that Wulff was brought in to weather the storm and was never expected to be the guy to complete the turn around. He didn't earn the chance to be that guy, but he may have been ablie to accomplish it had he stayed on for the last year of his contract. We'll never know what could have been, but at least it appears that he left the team in a better situation than it was in when he arrived.

So, he's far from flashy, but like others have already said... I trust Harbaugh.

That actually sounds great to me a guy who specializes in passing offenses he just probablly sucks at defense
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
That actually sounds great to me a guy who specializes in passing offenses he just probablly sucks at defense

Yeah, that's what it looks like. I have no idea how much of it was him and how much was coordinators, though.

Their run game stunk, too. Heh.

As a head coach. He may be good as an assistant.

Same thing a bunch of you guys said about Fangio.
Share 49ersWebzone