There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If our O is explosive, will our D drop off?

If our O is explosive, will our D drop off?

Last yr was Harbaugh's FIRST YR and we had an all pro D, #1 or close in virtually every department.

STs gave us the best field position in the entire league, with best punter and best punt returner (until Giants game when injured). Best FG kicker.

ALL DONE is in 2nd yr and will be on field virtually every play; expect this yr for him to come close to DeMarcus Ware, and that is awesome. With BigMac and Justin, I don't think we are going to be worse.

Carlos, Culliver, Terrell are all hitters and ferocious... plus they all cover well. They aren't going downhill

p52 is best in the league and Bowman is right there too.

Justin is, well Justin...all pro, all everything

I don't know, but that looks like a D that has played together before, and they played great( i missed a couple guys). What happens with one yr experience under their belts, playing together? Usually, unless injury, it means they play better. Hard to imagine these guys playing better D, but I believe it will happen. Count on them to get way more rest than last yr,too.

On O, we got the same running game with a probable improvement at OG. Big change will be 3rd down and in RZ, where LaMichael will be in the wings, and AJ will be set wide so LaMichael can't get ganged up on. Look for quick outlet pass to LaMichael, and watch him dance to a 1st down. Box 8s will disappear, as that is nuts with vernon, delanie, moss, mario, not to mention crbtre. Chances for 3rd down conversion should be virtually double that of last 10 yrs. Same for RZ, same scenario.

All I can see is a lot more TDs, fewer FGs, lots more O time on field, less so for D. And that is excluding any of our new draft picks, plus maybe a WR from UDFA group. Sheesh, this looks like a team no one would want to play. Bet on twice as many TDs this yr overall, and a D better than last. STs stay the same at top of heap.

Remember college Coach Harbaugh had a tremendous D and an even better O. That is what I look for this yr.

I don't think so...for several reasons. First is Fangio...he runs an attacking-style defense...and remember, there's a lot of the defensive playbook that we didn't see last year. There's also a ton of pride within our D...they're not about to let down because the offense is scoring more points. If anything, Fangio may be able to really turn them loose since it's likely we'll be playing from ahead more than last year. Brooks and Aldon Smith already have a standing bet on who'll get more sacks...I'm betting with an improved offense, they'll get more chances than ever to get it on.
Awesome thread!

Best of the day
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Last yr was Harbaugh's FIRST YR and we had an all pro D, #1 or close in virtually every department.

STs gave us the best field position in the entire league, with best punter and best punt returner (until Giants game when injured). Best FG kicker.

ALL DONE is in 2nd yr and will be on field virtually every play; expect this yr for him to come close to DeMarcus Ware, and that is awesome. With BigMac and Justin, I don't think we are going to be worse.

Carlos, Culliver, Terrell are all hitters and ferocious... plus they all cover well. They aren't going downhill

p52 is best in the league and Bowman is right there too.

Justin is, well Justin...all pro, all everything

I don't know, but that looks like a D that has played together before, and they played great( i missed a couple guys). What happens with one yr experience under their belts, playing together? Usually, unless injury, it means they play better. Hard to imagine these guys playing better D, but I believe it will happen. Count on them to get way more rest than last yr,too.

On O, we got the same running game with a probable improvement at OG. Big change will be 3rd down and in RZ, where LaMichael will be in the wings, and AJ will be set wide so LaMichael can't get ganged up on. Look for quick outlet pass to LaMichael, and watch him dance to a 1st down. Box 8s will disappear, as that is nuts with vernon, delanie, moss, mario, not to mention crbtre. Chances for 3rd down conversion should be virtually double that of last 10 yrs. Same for RZ, same scenario.

All I can see is a lot more TDs, fewer FGs, lots more O time on field, less so for D. And that is excluding any of our new draft picks, plus maybe a WR from UDFA group. Sheesh, this looks like a team no one would want to play. Bet on twice as many TDs this yr overall, and a D better than last. STs stay the same at top of heap.

Remember college Coach Harbaugh had a tremendous D and an even better O. That is what I look for this yr.

did not read regular font!!

This is what happens when the bold feature is abused.

Harbaugh's FIRST YR
STs gave us the best field position in the entire league
ALL DONE is in 2nd yr
Carlos, Culliver, Terrell
p52 is best in the league and Bowman
Justin is, well Justin...all pro
Hard to imagine these guys playing better D, but I believe it will happen
Big change will be 3rd down and in RZ, where LaMichael will be in the wings, and AJ will be set wide
that is nuts with vernon, delanie, moss, mario, not to mention crbtre.
3rd down conversion should be virtually double
college Coach Harbaugh had a tremendous D and an even better O
A+ defense plus . . . A- offense. It won't be Brees numbers but if STs gives the offense good field position like last year, we should score at least 2 more TDs per game. That is even against the good teams. The offense is going to be so multi dementional it is going to freak out a lot of teams. They will be asking themselves "who do we shut down 1st"? If Moss comes through, game over. Even Crabtree looks like he has added 10 lbs of muscle so he won't have as much trouble getting off of the line and into his routes.
Ha, Joe, a great lesson, and a good laugh. Thanks, amigo. Oh if i could just do that in real life. Incidentally, Joe C, I have written a couple books about hunting and fishing in Baja during the Glory Days(wide open hunting and fishing in the 60s and 70s). If you want , I'll send them to you. Both are stories from around the Baja campfire, and are humorous. You have a great sense of humor, but don't know if any interest in hunting, fishing, or Baja. If so pm me. Incidentally, I developed a pen pal during the battle for Fallujah, and sent Dave Petraeus both my books....which ended up with a request for books for guys in country. We sent a couple hundred each to Iraq, and General Petraeus had the books distributed by the chaplains...from Basra in the south to Tikrit in the north. Let me know.

And thanks for the lesson.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM ]
I expect the defense to be better due to being in the same system for a year and the entire first string is coming back. The players know the playbook and how there team mates will read and react. However, I do not expect us to have the huge 25+ differential in turn overs I believe that is unrealistic. IMO statistically we probably won't match last years numbers but the defense is the strength of this team.

I expect the offense to improve which ironically will help off set the expected lower number of turnovers we will probably have. Expect the offense to have longer drives (fewer turn overs) but score more points. Smith knows that this is absolutley the year in which he must once and for all prove he is more than just a middle of the road journey man QB. If he doesn't we can expect Kap to take over in 2013.
2007 Patriots... #1 ranked offense in points and yards and #4 ranked defense in points and yards allowed. That team dominated both sides of the ball. So it is very possible.
Originally posted by cashmahne:
2007 Patriots... #1 ranked offense in points and yards and #4 ranked defense in points and yards allowed. That team dominated both sides of the ball. So it is very possible.

Good history. Thanks. I do think we have the pieces in place to be a number 1 D and top 10 O. Top D might be tough with our schedule though, even if we are "better."
They have an entire off-season program this year. I expect both defense and offense to be better. On defense, Fangio will be able to install some of his more sophisticated blitz packages and obviously on offense, Harbaugh and Roman will be able to install a more sophisticated passing game. Smith will be better and he will have more weapons. This will all be offset somewhat by one of the most brutal schedules I've seen for a Niner team in a long time, but I still expect them to win their division and go to the playoffs again.
If the offense becomes effective on converting third downs, the defense will be more fresh late in the game even more explosive.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on May 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I've had many explosive O's and my D never fell off.
Originally posted by Chief:
I've had many explosive O's and my D never fell off.

,lol
I expect/hope the niner's offense improves to the middle of he pack. I don't expect them to be explosive.

However, in answer to your question, the defense may look worse, only because if they take big leads and/or score quickly, they will be on the filed more and teams will also be passing more to play catch up. If they play loose to not give up the big play, then teams will drive and wear them out for being on the field. If they remain agressive then, they will get some turnovers.

The thing about teams that are not trailing big is they are more likely to stick to the game plan that includes runs so they will stick to more conventional offensive sets as opposed to four wides which opens the door for anything to happen like Aldon getting even more sacks than last year.
I think it's real possible they dropoff somewhat. Alex and the offense will take some more chances. This will lead to more turnovers. And we may score more quickly. The the defense will be on the field more often. That has to have some effect.