LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Do the 49ers have the *fastest receiving corps in the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Originally posted by krizay:
With all due respect. only 1 out of the 5 you named has a chance to catch ATLEAST 25 balls for us. And he's a rookie.

So unless Harbaugh needs someone to run down and get the attention of a referee to throw a challenge flag, 4 of those guys' speed means diddly poo! Well, except Ginn in the return game.

^Geez,Mr. Optimistic here. Our WR core is amazing. People supporting Alex, I ask you this. What would an elite QB do with this WR core? (don't get me wrong I support our QB) I think they would dominate!! I expect Alex to have a big year maybe 30 TDs this year. Not so much concerned with the yds because we will pound the football at you. People bashing Crabs, the kid usually breaks a way in the open field when he gets the chance for a big gain. I could see him running in the 4.5 range this year if he's healthy and took care of himself this off season. He sees the additions around him, there is no room for him to slack anymore.

You apparently don't even know what you were quoting. Not that i'm shocked but.....
When you include our D and Vernon Davis/Delanie Walker I think we may have the fastest over all team!
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
If we had Kendall Wright, we would.

LOL, what a joke
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I think so. Including Owusu, who does have a shot at making the 53-man roster and will be PS if he doesn't. Here is what it looks like:

Michael Crabtree, age 24, 40yard - 4.5 sec. (estimate)

Mario Manningham, age 25, 40yard - 4.59 sec. or better

Randy Moss, age 35, 40yard - 4.4 sec.

AJ Jenkins, age 22, 40yard - 4.38 sec. -- rumor of a 4.31

Kyle Williams, age 23, 40yard - 4.43 sec.

Ted Ginn Jr, age 27, 40yard - 4.38 sec or better

Chris Owusu, age 22, 40yard - 4.31 - 4.36 sec

I can't think of any team with more speed than the 49ers. Its really shocking because we were thought of as one of the slowest offenses only last season...

Myabe the Raiders?
Originally posted by VA49er:
To everyone's point on naming two fast guys. Even as a measurable having the fastest 5 recievers doesn't trump having the fastest two. Since high end passing teams don't even average three recievers per play. Last year we averaged less than two recievers per play. And in truth that was because walker and davis were often paired together and they are both speed freaks.

Walker is the most overrated player on the 49ers.
  • carl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am looking for guys who can catch the ball when it hits them in the chest and hands first

And here is the truth about receiving. You actually have to receive the ball first then run.

True. All that speed won't matter if they can't read defenses, get open and catch the ball.

Having VD helps, but he's not really a quick cut and turn kinda guy. But stretching defenses with Moss or Jenkins should help everyone.

If one of the fast WR's pans out, it should be a dramatic improvement overall.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
I think so. Including Owusu, who does have a shot at making the 53-man roster and will be PS if he doesn't. Here is what it looks like:

Michael Crabtree, age 24, 40yard - 4.5 sec. (estimate)

lol crabtree probably runs like a 4.82
Eagles have faster WRs
Raiders by far have the fastest WR group
Steelers also have a few very fast wrs
[ Edited by ImaMod on May 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM ]
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Eagles have faster WRs

1. you totally pulled 4.82 out of your ass

2. Eagles are not faster - Maclin runs a 4.45 officially. Jackson, 4.35. Avant, 4.49. Cooper 4.53. gilyard 4.61 (combine), 4.51 pro day.

3. Raiders are not faster *by far*...DHB and Jacoby Ford are fast. - DHB - 4.30. Moore - 4.45. Murphy 4.43. Ford 4.28. McGee 4.52. Calhoun. 4.49. Criner 4.68.

4. Steelers are not faster - Wallace, 4.33. Antonio Brown, 4.47. Clemons (r) 4.41. Cotchery 4.54. Sanders 4.41. Maze (r) 4.51

*boom!
Really don't know for sure but we have to be near the top - just guessing.

However, I feel as a team we are real fast. Fast DLinemen, fast LB's - Willis & Navarro are VERY fast.
Lol at the people saying Crabs runs a 4.7 or 4.8. He ran a 4.5 in high school. The guy is a lot faster than most of you think. His foot injury has slowed him down in the beginning part of his career. He's only going to get faster. Go back and watch his college tape prior to the foot injury. Look at the :10, :35, 2:05, and 2:40 mark of the video posted below and then tell me he's slow. A 4.6-4.8 guy doesn't run past college defenses like that.

http://youtu.be/bgSzKz2Sdwk

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Eagles have faster WRs

1. you totally pulled 4.82 out of your ass

2. Eagles are not faster - Maclin runs a 4.45 officially. Jackson, 4.35. Avant, 4.49. Cooper 4.53. gilyard 4.61 (combine), 4.51 pro day.

3. Raiders are not faster *by far*...DHB and Jacoby Ford are fast. - DHB - 4.30. Moore - 4.45. Murphy 4.43. Ford 4.28. McGee 4.52. Calhoun. 4.49. Criner 4.68.

4. Steelers are not faster - Wallace, 4.33. Antonio Brown, 4.47. Clemons (r) 4.41. Cotchery 4.54. Sanders 4.41. Maze (r) 4.51

*boom!

Turn your sarcasm detector on, I wasn't serious about Crabtree running a 4.82
And I think you just proved I was right by posting those numbers

I never also said Steelers are faster, I said they have a few very fast WRs (Wallace, Brown, Sanders)

And the Raiders definitely have the fastest WR group int he NFL
DHB ran a 4.25, Ford ran a 4.28, Moore ran a 4.37, Murphy ran a 4.4, Calhoun ran a 4.49

Crabtree is slow, Jenkins ran a 4.39, Ginn ran 4.38, Williams ran a 44. We dont know if 35 year old moss can still run a 4.4 (I hope he can). And Owusu probably wont make the final 53 man roster
[ Edited by ImaMod on May 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by PSYKO5:
give me hands

Manningham isn't very consitent in that category which was why Belachick wanted to force Manningham to be the one to make a play for NYG. Good thing Eli didn't care of his inconsistencies and "trusted" him.

LOL backhanded Smith blast. You are a one trick pony right now.

Let's completely ignore the elephant in the room and that's Alex's hesitancy. He must show this year that he won't hesitate and if he does well, we will be blowing teams out.

yeah i feel you on that one.
Originally posted by susweel:
Crabtree is probably 4.7

He runs around a 4.5

very doubtful
give me hands

Manningham isn't very consitent in that category which was why Belachick wanted to force Manningham to be the one to make a play for NYG. Good thing Eli didn't care of his inconsistencies and "trusted" him.

LOL backhanded Smith blast. You are a one trick pony right now.

Let's completely ignore the elephant in the room and that's Alex's hesitancy. He must show this year that he won't hesitate and if he does well, we will be blowing teams out.

yeah i feel you on that one.

That is fine, but Joe keeps making the same 2 or 3 points over and over again. It doesn't matter what thread. I think that it was telling that the Front office went after more speed in the draft, and significantly changed the WR corps. I remember you saying that there was no need to upgrade the WR's which has once again been proven incorrect. The reason is that the WR's couldn't get separation. Don't get me wrong, I would like Smith to throw his receivers open a little bit more, but the big problem in the passing game (other than lack of Training camp) was that there was 1 explosive threat on the team. Now there may well be 4 explosive receiving threats, and Crabtree will not seeing the same amount of attention IF Moss pans out, and if Jenkins has something to offer.

It doesn't have anything to do with Smith throwing a bunch of balls up. We have seen him do that in the past. Tips, turnovers, losses. I want him to throw it more because his receivers are getting open more often. Once that starts happening the offense will be a consistent threat.
[ Edited by dtcomposer on May 1, 2012 at 2:50 PM ]
That is fine, but Joe keeps making the same 2 or 3 points over and over again. It doesn't matter what thread. I think that it was telling that the Front office went after more speed in the draft, and significantly changed the WR corps. I remember you saying that there was no need to upgrade the WR's which has once again be proven incorrect. The reason is that the WR's couldn't get separation. Don't get me wrong, I would like Smith to throw his receivers open a little bit more, but the big problem in the passing game (other than lack of Training camp) was that there was 1 explosive threat on the team. Now there may well be 4 explosive receiving threats, and Crabtree will not seeing the same amount of attention IF Moss pans out, and if Jenkins has something to offer.

It doesn't have anything to do with Smith throwing a bunch of balls up. We have seen him do that in the past. Tips, turnovers, losses. I want him to throw it more because his receivers are getting open more often. Once that starts happening the offense will be a consistent threat.

Alex Smith's biggest problem is confidence in his receivers -- confidence comes from practice, repetition, and skill on behalf of receivers. Smith had a lot of confidence that VD and Josh Morgan would be where they are supposed to when he threw the ball - so Smith is not afraid to thread that thing in there.

Unfortunately, he didn't have confidence in anyone else so he throws a ball that is either going to be caught or incomplete...no risk
Share 49ersWebzone