There are 252 users in the forums

Analysis of the AJ Jenkins Pick (AJ Is a Range/Speed Specimen)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I know. I'm analyzing Baalke's thought process.

They decided to draft a guy that's underdeveloped muscularly and it will pay huge dividends. Jenkins at 205 lbs with his speed, hands, range, etc is a Top 10 pick.
Did Baalke or Harbaugh say that?
I don't think he should bulk up to 205, he may need to get a little stronger, but there are plenty of great (HOF) wide receivers who were his height and weight who had plenty of success in the NFL
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Did Baalke or Harbaugh say that?

Baalke said he needs to hit the weights, and that's his biggest issue.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'l go ahead and make the assumption that Jets GM Mike Tannebaum, Sr. Personnel Executive Terry Bradway and their VP of College Scouting Joey Clinkscales know a little more about football than you. I could be wrong here, and they've made mistakes before like every pro team has, but you can't really fault me for making that assumption, can you? Here's how they put it:

Tannenbaum:
He said the team studied Demaryius Thomas' adjustment to the NFL to get an idea of how Hill might transition from the Tech offense to the NFL, and spent a lot of time getting to know Hill. In addition to the pro day at Tech, the Jets worked him out at their facility and also in Atlanta, which lasted about an hour and a half. Tannenbaum: "We really feel he can run all the routes we'll ask in our offense. Again, he was a very good blocker in a run-oriented offense. He has very good football acumen and we feel the transition can happen really quickly."

Clinkscales:
"He is a tall kid who can run. He is flexible, can sink his hips, he can drop his weight and get in and out of routes. More (important) than the offense is his skill set, and I think his skill set transfers to this level pretty well. He's unique. He's a 6'4 kid that weighs 215 and runs a 4.32. He's a unique athlete, he really is. Calvin Johnson, maybe? And I'm not going to put that label on him but from a height, weight, speed moniker. He's just a unique athlete."

Bradway regarding all college WRs:
"I think there's a transition for all of them, to be honest with you. With the spread offenses, they don't normally run the NFL route tree. But it was important for us to put him through that to see that he could do it. Like I said, at the combine, at his pro day, and at his work out for us, he showed that he can do that. This guy is really coachable. He's willing to work. With (wide receivers coach) Sanjay (Lal) and our offensive coaches, I think the upside is going to happen pretty quickly for this kid."

sounds like bluster from the Jets...yet again. Other teams worked him out and did not come to the same conclusion...or they would have drafted him.
sounds like bluster from the Jets...yet again. Other teams worked him out and did not come to the same conclusion...or they would have drafted him.

same can be said for Jenkins
Originally posted by jreff22:

AJ Jenkins didn't have off the charts measurables

Yeah but Jenkins never suffered from the dropsies

teams still passed
I'l go ahead and make the assumption that Jets GM Mike Tannebaum, Sr. Personnel Executive Terry Bradway and their VP of College Scouting Joey Clinkscales know a little more about football than you. I could be wrong here, and they've made mistakes before like every pro team has, but you can't really fault me for making that assumption, can you? Here's how they put it:

Tannenbaum:
He said the team studied Demaryius Thomas' adjustment to the NFL to get an idea of how Hill might transition from the Tech offense to the NFL, and spent a lot of time getting to know Hill. In addition to the pro day at Tech, the Jets worked him out at their facility and also in Atlanta, which lasted about an hour and a half. Tannenbaum: "We really feel he can run all the routes we'll ask in our offense. Again, he was a very good blocker in a run-oriented offense. He has very good football acumen and we feel the transition can happen really quickly."

Clinkscales:
"He is a tall kid who can run. He is flexible, can sink his hips, he can drop his weight and get in and out of routes. More (important) than the offense is his skill set, and I think his skill set transfers to this level pretty well. He's unique. He's a 6'4 kid that weighs 215 and runs a 4.32. He's a unique athlete, he really is. Calvin Johnson, maybe? And I'm not going to put that label on him but from a height, weight, speed moniker. He's just a unique athlete."

Bradway regarding all college WRs:
"I think there's a transition for all of them, to be honest with you. With the spread offenses, they don't normally run the NFL route tree. But it was important for us to put him through that to see that he could do it. Like I said, at the combine, at his pro day, and at his work out for us, he showed that he can do that. This guy is really coachable. He's willing to work. With (wide receivers coach) Sanjay (Lal) and our offensive coaches, I think the upside is going to happen pretty quickly for this kid."

A fitting way to end this discussion....yet another deep, logical and thoughtful analysis from you.
I like the pick (AJ), but hate the analysis (nickbradley)!

Originally posted by Howlett49:
I like the pick (AJ), but hate the analysis (nickbradley)!

care to elaborate?
A fitting way to end this discussion....yet another deep, logical and thoughtful analysis from you.

I'll eat crow if Hill turns out to be a receiver who perform tasks that a receiver is supposed to do.
Originally posted by Joecool:
FYI,
Crabtree's hands are a quarter inch shorter at 9 1/4 but his arms are 3 inches longer than AJ.

Let's see what AJ does in an NFL game before he begins to take over positions.

Yes, and his vertical is 4.5 inches lower. Being 2 inches taller, that means they get to about the exact same point in the air.

Not exactly. Most instances, a WR doesn't get a chance to maximize his leap or is required to leap at all. Crabtree's arm length ALWAYS allows him to be that high whereas AJ would be required to leap every time to reach that height and getting to the height of a leap rarely happens.
Bottom line, Nick...the Jets spent a lot of time with him and that (along with studying actual tape) is how they came to their conclusion. You read what's online and watch YouTube videos to come to yours. See why I would favor their assessment?

Btw, that's also why I love the Jenkins pick...our front office spends time with these kids, gets to meet them personally and work them out up close and personal.

We zoners just blab on about who we like based on surface level information. Because of that, regardless of how I feel about the guys we selected, I will ALWAYS defer to the experts.
What a terrifically reasonable, intelligent approach by you.

I'll eat crow if Hill turns out to be a receiver who perform tasks that a receiver is supposed to do.

Yeah, Hill is an inferior player. I hear a lot of people feel that Kendall Wright and AJ are similar players though
Share 49ersWebzone