LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Roster Battles w/draft picks updated*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Good call. But I think we might keep 5 RB's (4 active), and 5 WR's. Those positions will be the most exciting for fans to watch this summer. There's gonna be some surprises for sure.

At RB I think it'll be Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, James, and Cartwright. If we go with just 4 RB's I'd have to say that Jacobs gets the ax or made inactive, especially if James lights it up in camp and preseason. I think Cartwright is a lock, even if he never plays an offensive down. Hunter is heir apparent to Gore; I don't see Gore playing past 2013. Plus, Hunter played too well to have him inactive. For me James is the x-factor. If he has an excellent camp and preseason I don't see him being left off the 46. Plus, I think he makes Ginn expendable. If he struggles he'll miss out on the 46 and Jacobs stays.

At WR I think it'll be A. J., Manningham, Crabs , Williams, and Moss or a dark-horse surprise. This will be the most watched position hands down. And I think this is were we will see some shockers. If James empresses in camp I think Ginn gets cut. James brings far more to the table than than Ginn. I'm really not convinced that Moss makes the final 53. I think Williams will be fine. JH thinks he's one of the better slot guys in the league, and so do I. And I predict that there will be a dark-horse shocker that makes it. Watch what I tell you, A. J. will be no worse than #2. So I think the biggest battle of all will be between Manningham and Crabs. This would be interesting: If Crabs beat out Manningham I can't see Williams beating Manningham for the slot. But if Manningham beats out Crabs then Crabs could be facing 4th on the depth cart. Williams at the slot would be much better than Crabs.

One thing is for sure is that this is gonna be an entertaining summer

My issue is will Jacobs be fine with not playing, he signed to be the short yardage back, so that makes me think he is either active or cut.

I think Ginn is our returner, then in 2013 James takes over. I think Harbaugh said James wasn't ready for Punt Returning duties. I also agree AJ Jenkins will be as high as #2 by mid season. Love this pick more and more.

It will be fun to see how this all shapes out, I trust the staff and Front office, so whatever happens I am perfectly fine with it, just hope we have a good season, an 11 win year would be great, considering our schedule isn't exactly easy, but we don't have those tough back to back on east coast games.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by toeshawn:
I got a feeling that Hunter is expendable with James drafted. I just like Rock as a Special Teams Ace along with Colin Jones, and they can play positions if needed.

I noticed we did add Texas A&M DE Tony Jerod-Eddie to the roster, so I think he has a chance to beat out Ian Williams, along with Matthew Maisiflo has a shot, I would bet Masifilo, Jerod-Eddie, Owusu, Reuland, Derek Hall, Beeler/Slowey and a DB like Nelms or Holcomb are destined for the Practice Squad, and likely Cam Johnson if he doesn't make the team.

I would be happy with those 8 guys on the PS.

I just think it's ridiculous to think hunter is expendable. If anyone is ever expandable its the st aces. Just look at how we let michael robinson and costanzo go.

Then why draft a similar player in James, when we signed Jacobs a few weeks prior. And I dont see why we would cut ST Aces, This regimeis more higher on Special Teams play.

I think it's ridiculous to see rosters without Jones and Cartwright. You don;t just put someone on Special Teams and think they will be as good as Jones and Cartwright. Same goes for Returner, we saw what happened when we stuck Williams back there when Ginn was hurt, it proved Ginn was a vital piece to this team, so any mock rosters without Ginn are ridiculous and stupid IMO.

There is nothing wrong with keeping a PK, P, LS, Returner and 2 ST Aces on the roster.

I laughed at another forum that insisted we cut either Jones or CJ Spillman. Because neither can play Safety when Spillman played great at Safety when given a chance in 2011. Had some nice tackles(Baltimore game and Saints playoff game). Cartwright can play RB if needed, and Jones Safety if needed, just because they dont primarily doesn't mean they useless.

I make the argument as to why should we keep 6 WRs on 53 man, when we won't have all 6 active, we didn't keep 5 Active last year, it wasn't till Morgan got hurt that Williams saw a lot of time or else Williams would of never been active. I would rather keep 9 OL active on 53 man like most teams do.

There are other players that can be that st ace, it doesn't have to be cartwright. There's c.jones and gooden. I dont get the fascination with Cartwright. And I dont think they give up on a 4th round rb after one year who didn't do too bad. I think picking james was to add another dynamic and get ready for when frank can't go anymore
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:
Not sure why people keep thinking Jacobs will get cut.

Gore, Hunter, James.

who do you let go instead?

i think we're more likely to keep 6wr's.

I think we end up having 5 RB.

Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, James, Cartright (ST)

Jacobs is large enough to be used at FB in a lot of our packages. Power running game. Imagine Davis, Walker, and Jacobs all blocking strong side on a sweep to Gore.
There are other players that can be that st ace, it doesn't have to be cartwright. There's c.jones and gooden. I dont get the fascination with Cartwright. And I dont think they give up on a 4th round rb after one year who didn't do too bad. I think picking james was to add another dynamic and get ready for when frank can't go anymore

You don't know that Gooden or anyone else can be as good as Cartwright, like I've said you don't stick someone on STs and expect them to be lights out, it doesn't work a lot.

You don't know that Gooden or anyone else can be as good as Cartwright, like I've said you don't stick someone on STs and expect them to be lights out, it doesn't work a lot.

The ST's showed last year that its full of people who are very good at it. Costanzo was good but Spillman was better. Jones and Gooden both proved last year that they are very good it. If the last spot comes down to Cartwright or Dixon, Im going Dixon. I think they both get cut though.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Is cartwright a pro bowler? U watch a lot of raiders games? Where is this coming from?
Share 49ersWebzone