There are 48 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Roster Battles w/draft picks updated*

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Sonoco I would put Ginn, Gooden, Jones and Cartwright as locks, I don't see us not keeping these 4. Gooden brings value as a ILB, Jones and Cartwright are ST aces, and Ginn is a great return man, James isn't ready yet.

I can see Jacobs and Dixon both cut, might not be a need for 4 RBs, as one will be inactive on gameday.

Doubt we keep 6 WRs, no room. Owusu to PS, Williams cut.

I'd consider the top 6 of the final ten "depth chart" essentially as locks. For this exercise I just separated out the guys, barring injury, who likely won't have any kind of regular role on offense or defense and then stacked them draft board style. The top ten make the team.

1. Ted Ginn Jr. - # 1 return man / #5 WR
  2. Perrish Cox - Special teams / #4 CB / KR #2
  3. Tramaine Brock - Special teams / #5 CB
  4. Tavares Gooden - Special teams / #4 ILB
  5. Mike Person - Developmental OL #8
  6. Jason Slowey - Developmental OL #9
  7. Darius Fleming -Special teams / Developmental OLB #4
  8. Trent Robinson - Special teams / Developmental Safety #4
  9. Colin Jones - Special teams / Developmental ???
  10. (Last Roster Spot) Ian Williams - Developmental DT
  11. Kyle Williams - Special teams / #6 WR
  12. Rock Cartwright - Special teams only
  13. Chris Owusu
  14. Curtis Holcomb
  15. Cam Johnson
I would have considered Cartwright a lock until we drafted James. It just looks like we'd have to cut the cord on a promising youngster to keep Cartwright around . . . and it would surprise me if we didn't have at least one "big back" on the roster.

I got a feeling that Hunter is expendable with James drafted. I just like Rock as a Special Teams Ace along with Colin Jones, and they can play positions if needed.

I noticed we did add Texas A&M DE Tony Jerod-Eddie to the roster, so I think he has a chance to beat out Ian Williams, along with Matthew Maisiflo has a shot, I would bet Masifilo, Jerod-Eddie, Owusu, Reuland, Derek Hall, Beeler/Slowey and a DB like Nelms or Holcomb are destined for the Practice Squad, and likely Cam Johnson if he doesn't make the team.

I would be happy with those 8 guys on the PS.
I got a feeling that Hunter is expendable with James drafted. I just like Rock as a Special Teams Ace along with Colin Jones, and they can play positions if needed.

I noticed we did add Texas A&M DE Tony Jerod-Eddie to the roster, so I think he has a chance to beat out Ian Williams, along with Matthew Maisiflo has a shot, I would bet Masifilo, Jerod-Eddie, Owusu, Reuland, Derek Hall, Beeler/Slowey and a DB like Nelms or Holcomb are destined for the Practice Squad, and likely Cam Johnson if he doesn't make the team.

If Hunter's camp and pre-season is anything like last year my jaw would drop if he was deemed expendable. Anything is possible, but I think Baalke is prepping for life after Gore.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

If Hunter's camp and pre-season is anything like last year my jaw would drop if he was deemed expendable. Anything is possible, but I think Baalke is prepping for life after Gore.

I agree he is preparing for life after Gore, but Gore isn't gonna go anywhere, he will be a 49ers through 2013, possibly play out his deal. And Hunter would become expendable, as he and James are similar players. And Jacobs isn't gonna like being inactive, and not getting reps and time in games. I don't see how we keep 4 RBs and a FB all active on gamedays. 46 spots isn't enough for teams. they seriously need to raise the rosters up to 55 overall, and 48 gameday wise. But teams won't agree to that, they would have to rise the cap up more, which the NFL doesn't want to do. They were reluctant to raise it up even to 120.6M this year, I can't imagine what the NFL will argue about the cap in future years. Salaries aren't going down, so it needs to raise up eventually.

The NFL did a good thing by fans by lowering the NFL TIcket this year down to 199.95, from nearly 334.99 a year ago.

Cant see Hunter being expendable yet
Originally posted by jreff22:

I hope not. Just kinda makes no sense to draft a RB when we had Gore, Hunter and Jacobs likely to make it, I dont count Rock as a RB and he will be a ST ace. So if we keep Hunter and Jacobs, who is inactive? Jacobs won't like being inactive for the season. Hunter is more likely to be inactive.
  • WiL7
  • Veteran
Not really a big fan of the special teams roster spot other than punter and kicker, IMO long snapper is even a stretch. Dont get me wrong I love the Brian Jennings of the NFL but football player can't afford to be one trick ponies. That being said I don't think Cartwright makes the team. Baalke and co drafted these players and picked up these UDFA to fill the special teams roles and possibly develop into legit NFL players.

I hope not. Just kinda makes no sense to draft a RB when we had Gore, Hunter and Jacobs likely to make it, I dont count Rock as a RB and he will be a ST ace. So if we keep Hunter and Jacobs, who is inactive? Jacobs won't like being inactive for the season. Hunter is more likely to be inactive.

Jacobs or Rock will be cut
  • teeohh
  • Veteran

I just think it's ridiculous to think hunter is expendable. If anyone is ever expandable its the st aces. Just look at how we let michael robinson and costanzo go.
If you can't competition you will be gone, it is that simple.
Originally posted by toeshawn:

I just think it's ridiculous to think hunter is expendable. If anyone is ever expandable its the st aces. Just look at how we let michael robinson and costanzo go.

Then why draft a similar player in James, when we signed Jacobs a few weeks prior. And I dont see why we would cut ST Aces, This regimeis more higher on Special Teams play.

I think it's ridiculous to see rosters without Jones and Cartwright. You don;t just put someone on Special Teams and think they will be as good as Jones and Cartwright. Same goes for Returner, we saw what happened when we stuck Williams back there when Ginn was hurt, it proved Ginn was a vital piece to this team, so any mock rosters without Ginn are ridiculous and stupid IMO.

There is nothing wrong with keeping a PK, P, LS, Returner and 2 ST Aces on the roster.

I laughed at another forum that insisted we cut either Jones or CJ Spillman. Because neither can play Safety when Spillman played great at Safety when given a chance in 2011. Had some nice tackles(Baltimore game and Saints playoff game). Cartwright can play RB if needed, and Jones Safety if needed, just because they dont primarily doesn't mean they useless.

I make the argument as to why should we keep 6 WRs on 53 man, when we won't have all 6 active, we didn't keep 5 Active last year, it wasn't till Morgan got hurt that Williams saw a lot of time or else Williams would of never been active. I would rather keep 9 OL active on 53 man like most teams do.

Neither will be IMO, we will likely keep 6 backs, with Hunter inactive on game days. There isn't room for Hunter n 46 man active roster. You have the following.

QB- Alex and Kaep/Johnson
RB- Gore, James, Jacobs and Cartwright
FB- Miller
WR- Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins and Ginn
TE- Vernon, Walker and Byham
C- Goodwin
OG- Iupati, Kilgore and Looney
OT- Davis, Staley and Boone

DL- J.Smith, McDonald, Sopoaga, RJF and Tukuafu
OLB- Aldon, Brooks, Haralson, Fleming
ILB- Willis, Bowman, Grant and Gooden
CB- Rogers, Brown, Culliver and Cox
S- Goldson, Whitner, Spillman and Jones

ST- Akers, Lee and Jennings

thats the 46 that would be active. We would be light on DBs because we would be keeping AJ Jenkins active, as we only kept 4 active at all times in 2011.

We aren't gonna deactivate a OL, you need 7 active on gamedays, you aren't gonna have 2 TEs only when we have 1 FB, we need the 3rd TE as insurance at FB.

Need 5 DL, 8 LBs is usual for a 3-4 team, plus Gooden, Grant and Fleming will play STs.

Personally I would cut Jacobs and keep a DB active like Robinson or a CB like Brock, I would lean Robinson as he has played CB also.

We had at times these DBs active in 2011, Rogers, Culliver, Brown, Brock, Goldson, Whitner, Spillman, Jones, Williams and Smith, thats 10 DBs active.

I don't see a spot for Hunter if Jacobs makes the team.
Not sure why people keep thinking Jacobs will get cut.
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:
Not sure why people keep thinking Jacobs will get cut.

Gore, Hunter, James.

who do you let go instead?

i think we're more likely to keep 6wr's.
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on May 8, 2012 at 6:08 PM ]

Neither will be IMO, we will likely keep 6 backs, with Hunter inactive on game days. There isn't room for Hunter n 46 man active roster. You have the following.

FB- Miller
C- Goodwin

thats the 46 that would be active. We would be light on DBs because we would be keeping AJ Jenkins active, as we only kept 4 active at all times in 2011.

We aren't gonna deactivate a OL, you need 7 active on gamedays, you aren't gonna have 2 TEs only when we have 1 FB, we need the 3rd TE as insurance at FB.

Need 5 DL, 8 LBs is usual for a 3-4 team, plus Gooden, Grant and Fleming will play STs.

Personally I would cut Jacobs and keep a DB active like Robinson or a CB like Brock, I would lean Robinson as he has played CB also.

We had at times these DBs active in 2011, Rogers, Culliver, Brown, Brock, Goldson, Whitner, Spillman, Jones, Williams and Smith, thats 10 DBs active.

Seems foolish to pick a guy that high (Hunter) and not play him his "sophomore" year. He offers more ST versatility then Jacobs and is an overall better back IMO.

FB- Miller
C- Goodwin

Good call. But I think we might keep 5 RB's (4 active), and 5 WR's. Those positions will be the most exciting for fans to watch this summer. There's gonna be some surprises for sure.

At RB I think it'll be Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, James, and Cartwright. If we go with just 4 RB's I'd have to say that Jacobs gets the ax or made inactive, especially if James lights it up in camp and preseason. I think Cartwright is a lock, even if he never plays an offensive down. Hunter is heir apparent to Gore; I don't see Gore playing past 2013. Plus, Hunter played too well to have him inactive. For me James is the x-factor. If he has an excellent camp and preseason I don't see him being left off the 46. Plus, I think he makes Ginn expendable. If he struggles he'll miss out on the 46 and Jacobs stays.

At WR I think it'll be A. J., Manningham, Crabs , Williams, and Moss or a dark-horse surprise. This will be the most watched position hands down. And I think this is were we will see some shockers. If James empresses in camp I think Ginn gets cut. James brings far more to the table than than Ginn. I'm really not convinced that Moss makes the final 53. I think Williams will be fine. JH thinks he's one of the better slot guys in the league, and so do I. And I predict that there will be a dark-horse shocker that makes it. Watch what I tell you, A. J. will be no worse than #2. So I think the biggest battle of all will be between Manningham and Crabs. This would be interesting: If Crabs beat out Manningham I can't see Williams beating Manningham for the slot. But if Manningham beats out Crabs then Crabs could be facing 4th on the depth cart. Williams at the slot would be much better than Crabs.

One thing is for sure is that this is gonna be an entertaining summer
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home