There are 45 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Roster Battles w/draft picks updated*

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by jreff22:
23. @NY9er What are chances 49ers let Ted Ginn go and use LaMichael James as their primary return man? > Zero. James' hands on punts an issue.

24. @RedWaltz24 Anyway Ginn doesn't make team given the additions, who have potential as returners. > No. He's only guy who can catch punts.

I think that RedWaltz guy had a good question.
sneaky b*****d
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
my new projected 53 man now with draft done

QB- Alex Smith, Josh Johnson and Colin Kaepernick
RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James and Brandon Jacobs
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham and A.J. Jenkins
TE- Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker and Nate Byham(Backup FB)
C- Jonathan Goodwin and Jason Slowey
OG- MIke Iupati, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney and Mike Person
OT- Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Alex Boone

DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Will Tukuafu and Demarcus Dobbs
NT- Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Francois
OLB- Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson and Darius Fleming
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Richardson and Colin Jones

ST- David Akers, Andy Lee, Brian Jennings, Ted Ginn Jr. and Rock Cartwright

Close calls, but left off, Ian Williams and Cam Johnson, as a UDFA and 7th Round Pick they need to prove in camp.

Before anyone says anything about Jones and Cartwright, they should make it based on STs, they are aces on STs.

Based on this 53 man, the following would the 7 inactives, QB Kaeperick, WR Jenkins, C Slowey, OG Person, DE Dobbs, CB Brock and S Richardson.

I couldn't find a spot for Jenkins on 46 man, he won't be used a lot, unless Moss busts or is hurt.
I agree with your list except I think Slowey stays on the PS this year and Kyle Williams makes it as the 6th WR. Slowey's extremely raw and needs a lot of development. No need to keep him on the roster as I doubt he gets picked up by another team.With all our injuries at WR last year, I think it makes sense to keep Williams as an emergency WR option and he's not PS eligible.

But given that we haven't even started mini-camp, I don't think we can really make a definitive roster. There are a number of positional battles for spots, with my predictions on who will win in bold.

#6 WR: Williams/Owusu
#8 OL: Person/Slowey/Beeler
#5 & #6 DL: Tukuafu/Williams/Dobbs
#4 OLB: Flemming/Johnson
#5 CB: Cox/Holcomb
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
...I think Slowey stays on the PS this year and Kyle Williams makes it as the 6th WR. Slowey's extremely raw and needs a lot of development. No need to keep him on the roster as I doubt he gets picked up by another team.With all our injuries at WR last year, I think it makes sense to keep Williams as an emergency WR option and he's not PS eligible.

But given that we haven't even started mini-camp, I don't think we can really make a definitive roster. There are a number of positional battles for spots, with my predictions on who will win in bold.

#6 WR: Williams/Owusu
#8 OL: Person/Slowey/Beeler
#5 & #6 DL: Tukuafu/Williams/Dobbs
#4 OLB: Flemming/Johnson
#5 CB: Cox/Holcomb

Really good post, AllTime...
boom goes nick bradley
QB (3): Smith, Johnson, Kaepernick (inactive). GONE: Tolizien (good player, but caught in numbers game).
RB (4): Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs. GONE: Dixon (has had his opportunities and not taken advantage), and Cartright (numbers game)
FB (1): Miller (TE Byham is the back-up).
TE (3): Davis, Walker, Byham. For sure, there will be at least 1 TE (Reuland?) on the PS.
OL (9): Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Kilgore, Davis, Boone, Looney, Person (inactive), Beeler (inactive). (Slowey goes to PS).
WR (5): Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, Ginn, Williams (inactive). GONE: Moss (doesn't make it through the grind of training camp).

DL (7): J.Smith, Sopoaga, McDonald, RJF, Tukuafu, Williams (inactive), Dobbs (inactive).
ILB (4): Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden
OLB (4): A. Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Fleming. Johnson goes to PS, if stamina holds up..
CB (5): Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Brock, Nelms (inactive). Gone: Cox (not good enough in TC), Holcomb vs Nelms is toss-up.
SS (2): Whitner, Spillman
FS (2): Goldson, Robinson

P (1): Lee
PK (1): Akers
LS (1): Jennings
Pure ST Specialist (1): Jones (beats out Cartright for this spot)

ST Core: Jones, Spillman, Gooden, Grant, Fleming, Robinson, Culliver, Brock.

Final Roster = 53.
Inactives = 7.

I value Dobbs, and then Jones, over Cartright. Effective DL are exceedingly hard to find. With Sopoaga becoming a FA in 2013 and J. Smith another year older, I'm keeping some young DL studs in Tomsula's closet. Prefer Jones over Cartright, due to better speed and lower cost. Prefer Gooden and Fleming over Cartright, due to need for extra ILB depth. Most wide-open competition seems to be for 5th CB, between Nelms and Holcomb, who is a real mystery man.

TC will likely shuffle the deck a little, but his is how I see the roster shaping-up at this time.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
QB (3): Smith, Johnson, Kaepernick (inactive). GONE: Tolizien (good player, but caught in numbers game).
RB (4): Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs. GONE: Dixon (has had his opportunities and not taken advantage), and Cartright (numbers game)
FB (1): Miller (TE Byham is the back-up).
TE (3): Davis, Walker, Byham. For sure, there will be at least 1 TE (Reuland?) on the PS.
OL (9): Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Kilgore, Davis, Boone, Looney, Person (inactive), Beeler (inactive). (Slowey goes to PS).
WR (5): Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, Ginn, Williams (inactive). GONE: Moss (doesn't make it through the grind of training camp).

DL (7): J.Smith, Sopoaga, McDonald, RJF, Tukuafu, Williams (inactive), Dobbs (inactive).
ILB (4): Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden
OLB (4): A. Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Fleming. Johnson goes to PS, if stamina holds up..
CB (5): Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Brock, Nelms (inactive). Gone: Cox (not good enough in TC), Holcomb vs Nelms is toss-up.
SS (2): Whitner, Spillman
FS (2): Goldson, Robinson

P (1): Lee
PK (1): Akers
LS (1): Jennings
Pure ST Specialist (1): Jones (beats out Cartright for this spot)

ST Core: Jones, Spillman, Gooden, Grant, Fleming, Robinson, Culliver, Brock.

Final Roster = 53.
Inactives = 7.

I value Dobbs, and then Jones, over Cartright. Effective DL are exceedingly hard to find. With Sopoaga becoming a FA in 2013 and J. Smith another year older, I'm keeping some young DL studs in Tomsula's closet. Prefer Jones over Cartright, due to better speed and lower cost. Prefer Gooden and Fleming over Cartright, due to need for extra ILB depth. Most wide-open competition seems to be for 5th CB, between Nelms and Holcomb, who is a real mystery man.

TC will likely shuffle the deck a little, but his is how I see the roster shaping-up at this time.

I honestly see Cartwright, Gooden and Jones all making the roster. We value Special Teams big time. And I pray to god Kyle Williams is gone.

Also I think we keep 9 OL as you have, but I give the edge to Slowey. I really prefer Jacobs gone, but it seems we will keep 6 backs(2 starters, Cartwright, and 3 RBs, James, Hunter and Jacobs or Dixon). If we keep Jacobs then I see Hunter inactive on gamedays. I dont know why but I just do.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I honestly see Cartwright, Gooden and Jones all making the roster. We value Special Teams big time. And I pray to god Kyle Williams is gone.

Also I think we keep 9 OL as you have, but I give the edge to Slowey. I really prefer Jacobs gone, but it seems we will keep 6 backs(2 starters, Cartwright, and 3 RBs, James, Hunter and Jacobs or Dixon). If we keep Jacobs then I see Hunter inactive on gamedays. I dont know why but I just do.

I think Slowey makes it and Person on the PS. Although we lost 2 guys on the OL we really only needed one backup...but drafted 2. I think somebody did not impress last year and I think that falls on Person.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I honestly see Cartwright, Gooden and Jones all making the roster. We value Special Teams big time. And I pray to god Kyle Williams is gone.

Also I think we keep 9 OL as you have, but I give the edge to Slowey. I really prefer Jacobs gone, but it seems we will keep 6 backs(2 starters, Cartwright, and 3 RBs, James, Hunter and Jacobs or Dixon). If we keep Jacobs then I see Hunter inactive on gamedays. I dont know why but I just do.

I don't believe the Niners had nine active OL last season. With injuries to the WRs last year, I believe both Moss and Williams make the 53. One of the OL eligible for the PS (Person IMO) will go there this season. Slowey and Beeler will vie for the last opening on the 53. Also, disagree that 7 making the DL. Only 6 last year. This will open a place for Cameron Johnson who would be more valuable on defense than either Dobbs or Williams (who will vie for the last DL spot). Cox will make the CB group of 5 if he can overcome the distraction of his lawsuit.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I don't believe the Niners had nine active OL last season. With injuries to the WRs last year, I believe both Moss and Williams make the 53. One of the OL eligible for the PS (Person IMO) will go there this season. Slowey and Beeler will vie for the last opening on the 53. Also, disagree that 7 making the DL. Only 6 last year. This will open a place for Cameron Johnson who would be more valuable on defense than either Dobbs or Williams (who will vie for the last DL spot). Cox will make the CB group of 5 if he can overcome the distraction of his lawsuit.

We had the following

1. Iupati
2. Staley
3. Goodwin
4. Snyder
5. Davis
6. Rachal
7. Boone
8. Kilgore
9. Person

all were on the 53 man roster.
Walker or Bynham can be the back up FB. I wouldn't burn a roster spot for one with them there.
Looking at the roster a another way, I see the following 43 roster spots (in no particular order) as stone cold roster locks as starters, primary back-ups, rotational players or simply due to their draft status. There are a couple either/or options on the offensive side.

  1. Alex Smith
  2. Colin Kaepernick
  3. QB # 3 - Josh Johnson or Scott Tolzein
  4. Frank Gore
  5. Kendall Hunter
  6. Big Back - Brandon Jacobs or Anthony Dixon
  7. LaMichael James
  8. Bruce Miller
  9. Michael Crabtree
  10. Mario Manningham
  11. Randy Moss
  12. A.J. Jenkins
  13. Vernon Davis
  14. Delanie Walker
  15. TE # 3 - Nate Byham or Konrad Reuland
  16. Joe Staley
  17. Mike Iupati
  18. Anthony Davis
  19. Jonathan Goodwin
  20. Alex Boone
  21. Daniel Kilgore
  22. Joe Looney
  23. Justin Smith
  24. Isaac Sopoaga
  25. Ray McDonald
  26. Will Tukuafu
  27. Demarcus Dobbs
  28. Ahmad Brooks
  29. NaVorrow Boman
  30. Patrick Willis
  31. Aldon Smith
  32. R. Jean-Francios
  33. Parys Haralson
  34. Larry Grant
  35. Tarell Brown
  36. Dashon Goldson
  37. Carlos Rogers
  38. Donte Whitner
  39. Chris Culliver
  40. C.J. Spillman
  41. David Akers
  42. Andy Lee
  43. Brian Jennings


The final TEN roster spots depend on how you stack this board in terms of special teams and developmental value:

  1. Ted Ginn Jr. - # 1 return man / #5 WR
  2. Perrish Cox - Special teams / #4 CB / KR #2
  3. Tramaine Brock - Special teams / #5 CB
  4. Tavares Gooden - Special teams / #4 ILB
  5. Mike Person - Developmental OL #8
  6. Jason Slowey - Developmental OL #9
  7. Darius Fleming -Special teams / Developmental OLB #4
  8. Trent Robinson - Special teams / Developmental Safety #4
  9. Colin Jones - Special teams / Developmental ???
  10. (Last Roster Spot) Ian Williams - Developmental DT
  11. Kyle Williams - Special teams / #6 WR
  12. Rock Cartwright - Special teams only
  13. Chris Owusu
  14. Curtis Holcomb
  15. Cam Johnson

I think spots 1 through 6 are pretty solid. Spots 7 through 15 could flop repeatedly through training camp. It's going to be fun to watch unfold.

Go Niners!
Sonoco I would put Ginn, Gooden, Jones and Cartwright as locks, I don't see us not keeping these 4. Gooden brings value as a ILB, Jones and Cartwright are ST aces, and Ginn is a great return man, James isn't ready yet.

I can see Jacobs and Dixon both cut, might not be a need for 4 RBs, as one will be inactive on gameday.

Doubt we keep 6 WRs, no room. Owusu to PS, Williams cut.
If we cut Jacobs do we have to pay him?
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
If we cut Jacobs do we have to pay him?

Only his signing bonus that was paid when signed, which is $150K, so we would save $1.425M by cutting him.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Sonoco I would put Ginn, Gooden, Jones and Cartwright as locks, I don't see us not keeping these 4. Gooden brings value as a ILB, Jones and Cartwright are ST aces, and Ginn is a great return man, James isn't ready yet.

I can see Jacobs and Dixon both cut, might not be a need for 4 RBs, as one will be inactive on gameday.

Doubt we keep 6 WRs, no room. Owusu to PS, Williams cut.

I'd consider the top 6 of the final ten "depth chart" essentially as locks. For this exercise I just separated out the guys, barring injury, who likely won't have any kind of regular role on offense or defense and then stacked them draft board style. The top ten make the team.

  1. Ted Ginn Jr. - # 1 return man / #5 WR
  2. Perrish Cox - Special teams / #4 CB / KR #2
  3. Tramaine Brock - Special teams / #5 CB
  4. Tavares Gooden - Special teams / #4 ILB
  5. Mike Person - Developmental OL #8
  6. Jason Slowey - Developmental OL #9
  7. Darius Fleming -Special teams / Developmental OLB #4
  8. Trent Robinson - Special teams / Developmental Safety #4
  9. Colin Jones - Special teams / Developmental ???
  10. (Last Roster Spot) Ian Williams - Developmental DT
  11. Kyle Williams - Special teams / #6 WR
  12. Rock Cartwright - Special teams only
  13. Chris Owusu
  14. Curtis Holcomb
  15. Cam Johnson

I would have considered Cartwright a lock until we drafted James. It just looks like we'd have to cut the cord on a promising youngster to keep Cartwright around . . . and it would surprise me if we didn't have at least one "big back" on the roster.