There are 359 users in the forums

Roster Battles w/draft picks updated*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My projected 53 man as of now

QB- Alex Smith, Josh Johnson and Colin Kaepernick
RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James and Brandon Jacobs
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, A.J. Jenkins and Ted Ginn Jr.
TE- Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker
C- Jonathan Goodwin
OG- Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore and Mike Person(Backup C also)
OT- Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Alex Boone

DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Will Tukuafu and Demarcus Dobbs
NT- Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean Francois and Ian Williams
OLB- Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith and Parys Haralson
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman and Colin Jones

ST- David Akers, Andy Lee, Brian Jennings and Rock Cartwright

I believe thats 49 right their, we should see competition at CB, DL and OL. I could see us carrying two TEs with a 6th RB if we keep the 4 RBs 1 FB and ST RB

If the current is 49 of the 53, we would IMO keep 2 other OL(OT and G/C), OLB and DB or TE. Dobbs and I.Williams spots aren't guaranteed right now, I think Tukuafu is, he was playing great before he got injured.

But all could change if we add a CB, OG, OLB, DE, NT, any one of those.
^^^^^think Byham is safe....Ian to the PS
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
My projected 53 man as of now

QB- Alex Smith, Josh Johnson and Colin Kaepernick
RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James and Brandon Jacobs
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, A.J. Jenkins and Ted Ginn Jr.
TE- Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker
C- Jonathan Goodwin
OG- Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore and Mike Person(Backup C also)
OT- Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Alex Boone

DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Will Tukuafu and Demarcus Dobbs
NT- Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean Francois and Ian Williams
OLB- Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith and Parys Haralson
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman and Colin Jones

ST- David Akers, Andy Lee, Brian Jennings and Rock Cartwright

I believe thats 49 right their, we should see competition at CB, DL and OL. I could see us carrying two TEs with a 6th RB if we keep the 4 RBs 1 FB and ST RB

If the current is 49 of the 53, we would IMO keep 2 other OL(OT and G/C), OLB and DB or TE. Dobbs and I.Williams spots aren't guaranteed right now, I think Tukuafu is, he was playing great before he got injured.

But all could change if we add a CB, OG, OLB, DE, NT, any one of those.

Totally agree with everything.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Think Williams gets cut and maybe Jacobs

we still dont have a 2nd FB

Is there a team in the nfl who has two FB's?
Originally posted by btthepunk:

We had 2 last year with Miller and Norris
It seems pretty clear Dixon will be released, as he should be...unless Jacobs totally fails to impress and Dixon really commits himself. Dixon doesn't contribute on special teams and hasn't shown much of anything at RB (and his Twitter activity seems to indicate he's more interested in the celebrity that comes with being an NFL player, with the females and hip hop connections etc, than actually pushing himself to excel at football).

At WR, I think we carry 6, at least initially, including Ginn as KR/PR almost exclusively. Despite his occasional flashes, I don't really consider Ginn to be anything more than an emergency wr. He's a special teams player. I want Ginn to handle returns this year, but it's possible James does well enough handling returns that Ginn actually becomes expendable, though I wouldn't count on it.

There are too many question marks at WR to just carry 5 to start the season (really 4 w/ Ginn as a ST spot) and rely on them. We don't know what will happen with Moss, maybe he's not useable, or more likely, someone gets hurt. Unfortunately Kyle Williams had his two worst plays in the same game, which also happened to be our most important in a decade. That said, I think he still makes the team, though may not dress unless/until someone gets injured or Moss flunks out. He may have to prove himself as a gunner on ST or something to really secure his spot, but I think he sticks. He's a committed hard worker who has proven himself a reliable receiver and does still have backup return ability despite his unforgettable failings.

If Williams and Dixon really don't make it hard to release them, then it's easy and there is no real competition at either position because we dump them both.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

We had 2 last year with Miller and Norris

Only because we were converting a defensive end to fullback. Now that we know he can play, and play the position well, I doubt we carry two.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
It seems pretty clear Dixon will be released, as he should be...unless Jacobs totally fails to impress and Dixon really commits himself. Dixon doesn't contribute on special teams and hasn't shown much of anything at RB (and his Twitter activity seems to indicate he's more interested in the celebrity being an NFL player brings him, with the females and him hop connections that come along with it, than actually pushing himself to excel at football).

At WR, I think we carry 6, at least initially, including Ginn as KR/PR almost exclusively. Despite his occasional flashes, I don't really consider Ginn to be anything more than an emergency wr. He's a special teams player. I want Ginn to handle returns this year, but it's possible James does well enough handling returns that Ginn actually becomes expendable, though I wouldn't count on it.

There are too many question marks at WR to just carry 5 to start the season (really 4 w/ Ginn as a ST spot) and rely on them. We don't know what will happen with Moss, maybe he's not useable, or more likely, someone gets hurt. Unfortunately Kyle Williams had his two worst plays in the same game, which also happened to be our most important in a decade. That said, I think he still makes the team, though may not dress unless/until someone gets injured or Moss flunks out. He may have to prove himself as a gunner on ST or something to really secure his spot, but I think he sticks. He's a committed hard worker who has proven himself a reliable receiver and does still have backup return ability despite his unforgettable failings.

If Williams and Dixon really don't make it hard to release them, then it's easy and there is no real competition at either position. We dump Dixon and Williams.

I thought Dixon was pretty good on ST's and had some tackles.
RB battle should be interesting.

If we could only keep Jacobs or Cartwright, who would you choose? I'd personally go with Cartwright. With Gore/Hunter/James all to be integrated into the offense, I don't see Jacobs having much of a role. Cartwright has added value as a special teamer, which is a must for a #4 RB. Dixon is as good as gone.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM ]
Just like a previous poster stated earlier, we could use Nate as a back up FB. Here's my RB and WR predictions:

Gore
Hunter
James
Jacobs

FB
Miller
Nate Bynum-(even though he's listed as a TE)

we will keep all 6 WR

Moss
Manningham
Crabtree
Jenkins
Ginn
Williams.

Originally posted by mug0mug:
It seems pretty clear Dixon will be released, as he should be...unless Jacobs totally fails to impress and Dixon really commits himself. Dixon doesn't contribute on special teams and hasn't shown much of anything at RB (and his Twitter activity seems to indicate he's more interested in the celebrity being an NFL player brings him, with the females and him hop connections that come along with it, than actually pushing himself to excel at football).

If Williams and Dixon really don't make it hard to release them, then it's easy and there is no real competition at either position. We dump Dixon and Williams.

I thought Dixon was pretty good on ST's and had some tackles.

He plays on special teams, but he's nothing special there. Rock Cartwright will have an easier time making the team than Dixon and will be listed at RB despite the fact that Cartwright will not be expected to carry the ball at all (barring special circumstance) because he's actually a strong contributer on ST, while Dixon is just a body.

Who knows, we could realistically go into the season with 6 backs (including Miller) and 6 WR, though it'd be more like 4 & 5 with 1 (or more) of each really being considered ST spots.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 28, 2012 at 1:21 AM ]
Rbs-Gore,Jacobs,Hunter,James,Miller
Wr's-Crabs,Moss,Maningham,Jenkins,Williams,
Spec.Teams only-Ginn,Cartwright,Cox

I hope theres a way to get this done.DO NOT want any DL gone to make it work.if not,oh well it was fun while the dream lasted.I hope Jacobs re-emerges(i have serious doubts).Boobies a good dude n love his enthusiasm,but he's probly outta here.i see no reason to carry a third TE,so Byhams probly done too unfortunately.no need for two fb's.not sure bout Cox,but he may contribute on spec.teams.

but competition will settle all the ??'s.
That bein said,man I havent been this effin pumped to see an offseason and position battles in training camp IN A LOOOONG TIME!!!!after just TWO picks,$h!t looks like its gon get REAL hectic round here in the summer.LOVED Coaches comments bout how "Real" it was gon round here. I already cant wait to see how it all unfolds.
As long as the sudden WebZone talk about Gore getting traded/cut/whatever fades into the background...

Originally posted by jreff22:
Think Williams gets cut and maybe Jacobs

we still dont have a 2nd FB

still need a guy who can do it effectively if Miller goes down
I like Sopoaga as the back up FB.
Share 49ersWebzone