There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Roster Battles w/draft picks updated*

Figured with the recent picks and more to come we need one place to debate this topic.

Right now at RB
Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, James, Dixon, Miller, and Cartwright

Right now at WR
Crabs, Moss, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, and Ginn.

Right now at OG/C/OT
Boone, Kilgore, Person, Looney, and Slowey

[ Edited by jreff22 on Apr 29, 2012 at 10:33 AM ]
Think Williams gets cut and maybe Jacobs

we still dont have a 2nd FB
Originally posted by jreff22:

Maybe they file Cartwright under 2nd FB even though he probably can't play that spot. We could use a backup for if Miller gets hurt but might have to pick someone off of a PS or the streets.

So Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs... Miller, Cartwright.

Last year it was Gore, Hunter, Dixon.... Miller, Norris... might have to carry an extra guy and take it away from another position.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM ]
I love the Ginn'ster ,but he's on thin ice with all of the Kick return rules and his injuries.
I predict Moss being cut midseason.

I also predict that Gore will be ''injured,'' or will sit out alot of games due to lack of production. Gore is my fav niner RB of all damn time, but at the end of his rope.
Boobie is great for team morale. Hopefully they leave him on the practice squad but I doubt it. We'll see how Jacobs fares as well. Another big name who has already
peaked.

If the prophecy is true, with what Jed has said and all.........

VERY EXCITING TIME
Dixon gets cut.

Williams or Moss get cut.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran

Delaney?

I think KW is gone... and either Jacobs or Dixon... thinking Jacobs because of Dixon's ST ability. Rock gets a spot because of that as well. Its nice to have players that can play multiple positions... allows a lot more flexibility in roster management.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Maybe they file Cartwright under 2nd FB even though he probably can't play that spot. We could use a backup for if Miller gets hurt but might have to pick someone off of a PS or the streets.

So Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs... Miller, Cartwright.

Last year it was Gore, Hunter, Dixon.... Miller, Norris... might have to carry an extra guy and take it away from another position.

We can use Nate at #2 FB but he got hurt last year...and so did Miller...risky, maybe we slot Jacobs under FB

i think they will keep 5 RBs and 1 FB. i thnk dixon makes it as an emergency RB and STs player. also D walker and (blah name escapes me) the TE who covered for miller when he got his concussion, are suitable backup FBs..

unless williams shows nothing i also think they keep all 6 WRs. with 1 being inactive on sundays(4+ginn)
Originally posted by Pick6:

Delaney?

I think KW is gone... and either Jacobs or Dixon... thinking Jacobs because of Dixon's ST ability. Rock gets a spot because of that as well. Its nice to have players that can play multiple positions... allows a lot more flexibility in roster management.

if it comes to ST only duties...Ginn, Dixon, Rock....will get interesting
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Gore, Hunter, James, Cartwright(I think he slides into Costanzo's roster spot with no drama) i think are locks. I really think it'll come down to finding out how much of a fire under Dixon's a** got light by the Jacobs signing. But hell maybe Jacobs is the lock and Cartwright has to fight Dixon because they are both ST guys.

WR we will likely carry all 6 into the season but despite popular opinion if we had to cut any one person it would probably be Moss, assuming he isn't Moss circa 2007, but I really think KW would have to have completely crumbled and withdrawn for him to suffer from a WR standpoint. At that point I would gladly see him get cut but I think Harbaugh and Baalke would pick Williams' youth and potential over Randy's weird attitude and age.

I dont think we carry a back up FB, I've said it for months that even we dont draft Fleener(which we didnt ) dont look for us to "waste" a draft pick on a backup FB one year after drafting the FB of the future, look for us to just use Walker, Byham, or potentially Cartwright as the back-up FB.
We can use Nate at #2 FB but he got hurt last year...and so did Miller...risky, maybe we slot Jacobs under FB

Good point, Byham can be the emergency FB but he could be the #3 TE (if we keep 3).

RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs
FB: Miller, Cartwright (although Byham is the backup)

Just means one less from another position. Unless they are willing to cut Cartwright if he can't do well besides special teams?

Edit: As for WR I think it's pretty easy.
WR: Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, Jenkins, Ginn (also RS) or we keep 6 and Williams.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM ]
I would much rather keep Dixon over Jacobs. The guy like someone has already said is phenomenal for team morale and spirit. He's the first guy to congratulate anyone, hea always pumping up the team and the crowd, and he plays well on ST. Jacobs does nothing but talk and go down by arm tackles
Originally posted by sfout:
Gore, Hunter, James, Cartwright(I think he slides into Costanzo's roster spot with no drama) i think are locks. I really think it'll come down to finding out how much of a fire under Dixon's a** got light by the Jacobs signing. But hell maybe Jacobs is the lock and Cartwright has to fight Dixon because they are both ST guys.

WR we will likely carry all 6 into the season but despite popular opinion if we had to cut any one person it would probably be Moss, assuming he isn't Moss circa 2007, but I really think KW would have to have completely crumbled and withdrawn for him to suffer from a WR standpoint. At that point I would gladly see him get cut but I think Harbaugh and Baalke would pick Williams' youth and potential over Randy's weird attitude and age.

I dont think we carry a back up FB, I've said it for months that even we dont draft Fleener(which we didnt ) dont look for us to "waste" a draft pick on a backup FB one year after drafting the FB of the future, look for us to just use Walker, Byham, or potentially Cartwright as the back-up FB.

i don't think catwright makes it. he is pretty much useless anywhere but STs and dixon is atleast young with a possibility of potential.

then at FB with ICE, walker, reuland, and byham all able to sneak in at FB it would just be a wasted roster spot that would never be active on gameday.

if james, hunter, williams, jenkins, or cox show any decent aptitude at PRs ginn is gone.

then i think this year they will go with less defensive layers, specifically front 7. they aren't going with less active just less inactives.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I would much rather keep Dixon over Jacobs. The guy like someone has already said is phenomenal for team morale and spirit. He's the first guy to congratulate anyone, hea always pumping up the team and the crowd, and he plays well on ST. Jacobs does nothing but talk and go down by arm tackles

Good point... he probably is in competition with Jacobs for that last spot. Still, hard to deny Jacobs when he has 56 TDs with and average of 7 a year. If he's his old self no doubt he beats out Dixon. We need a guy who can get into the end zone... soft or not Jacobs does that.
"Is this an indictment against Frank Gore? My God, no," Harbaugh said Friday evening about the impact James' arrival has on the franchise's all-time leading rusher.

James, who fumbled 12 times in his career, has a chance to develop into a return man for the 49ers. But Harbaugh admitted that he is not yet sure-handed fielding punts.

"He's got to work on his hands in those situations, returning punts," Harbaugh said. "That may be X-amount of time before he's really able to do that. We have a pretty darn good returner in Ted Ginn right now. That'll definitely create a possibility down the road for us."