There are 287 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
ban him for using that pic of sproles.

+1
  • mike
  • Veteran
Also I just read that he gained 20 pounds to help please nfl teams, he was only 160 playing in Oregon. That may explain his 40 hitting more toward a 4.4 range(which by all means is not slow, but not sexy Chris Johnson fast either). He should have an easier time finding that balance of size/speed at the nfl level when he's not powering down the weight gain shakes haha.

He reminds me a lot of CJ the way he can burst for a home run yet also isn't afraid to bang his body for yardage. Of course he doesn't have CJ2k's 40 time but he does still look insanely fast.
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
I'm not buying his 4.45 40 time, this guy just explodes as soon as he has the ball in his hands. Looks like a 4.2 40 guy lol. Just insane burst, quick feet, outstanding balance, and outruns angles. f**king stoked to have a guy like this on the 49ers!!!

People don't seem to realize how little of a difference it truly is between 4.2 and .3 or .4. Snap your finger as fast as you can and that's probably about the difference haha. That's also why it's hard to do handheld 40 times, at his pro-day a handheld stopwatch got him at 4.23. Others were in the .3 or .4 range.

Then consider that on the field, unlike the track, it's more about getting separation than having a steady sprint. Once you have two or three steps on defenders you just have to not get caught from behind. So I think we could probably learn more from a 15 or 20 yard dash.

He plays fast, like I said he looks like the road runner the way his legs move haha. That's really all that matters and it's why baalke is all about the tape.

Totally agree 40 times can be so misleading... a player who can make slight changes in directions or cuts without losing speed play much faster than their 40 times. James is one of those guys - Sproles 40 times weren't great either but they are both so fast in and out of cuts and they run just as well in pads as they do in t-shirts and shorts.

Hell he ran hand held 4.37 at the combine. Guys posted the link in this thread. What's wrong with that? What worries me is where does the 49ersWZ get it's 40 times?.....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Could this be the end of Frank Gore? I know it's a crazy thought, but every RB hits that point in their career where they lose a step and just can't make the explosive play either through the hole or once they get into the secondary.

Again, seems crazy to think about it, but Gore has looked slower and slower every year, and from the looks of it, Harbaugh is going after speed, speed and more speed. Just sayin...

Jacobs, Hunter, James, Cartwright (SP), Miller (FB)????

I really think this is possible. And it's sacreligious to suggest. But lets be honest Gore took himself out of games at the end of the season and in the playoffs when we were in 4th quarters. I think he has really hit the wall. I'm also not sure Jacobs makes the team now on a 1 year deal? Or is it Dixon who gets cut. 1 of those 2 is gone. Gore could be gone or demoted. I think they want more speed on the field and I think it makes a lot of sense.
Dixon gets cut
Ok... so we added another WR in round one and then we go and get a fast spread offense RB who can catch the ball and play all over the field... AND who was very succesful running out of the shotgun formation in college... just so happens I know a qb who likes to throw out of the shotgun... and now that he has some WR we may very well see a little (or a lot) more of that.

Just sayin'

I think James and Hunter will be the RB's of the future... there really isn't any work horses in the NFL any more.

You're thinking about this too hard.

Getting playmakers at skill positions, plain and simple.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Could this be the end of Frank Gore? I know it's a crazy thought, but every RB hits that point in their career where they lose a step and just can't make the explosive play either through the hole or once they get into the secondary.

Again, seems crazy to think about it, but Gore has looked slower and slower every year, and from the looks of it, Harbaugh is going after speed, speed and more speed. Just sayin...

Jacobs, Hunter, James, Cartwright (ST), Miller (FB)????

Gore's not going anywhere. Not yet anyway.

And for you to even suggest Jacobs is going to be on the roster and Gore is not...

Harbaugh isn't very nostalgic (if you haven't noticed)...he's all about winning and getting his guys to do it. For example, if you would've told me he would pass up Coby Fleener to select someone called A.J. Jenkins, I would've you.

Not saying it's going to happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did. Harbaalke has no loyalty to the Nolan/Singletary players and they shouldn't. If they think they can win with younger/faster players, they will do it.

We're talking about Frank Gore.

Ya know, the guy they just gave a new contract to.

The guy that had one of his best seasons ever last year.

The franchise rushing leader.

We've got at least one more year of Frank.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

I really think this is possible. And it's sacreligious to suggest. But lets be honest Gore took himself out of games at the end of the season and in the playoffs when we were in 4th quarters. I think he has really hit the wall. I'm also not sure Jacobs makes the team now on a 1 year deal? Or is it Dixon who gets cut. 1 of those 2 is gone. Gore could be gone or demoted. I think they want more speed on the field and I think it makes a lot of sense.
Dixon gets cut

Lol yeah who on earth would take dixon over gore. I would take Gore with a bum ankle over dixon.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Dixon gets cut

Frank isn't gonna get cut or traded. You guys need to slow your roll. Dixon is gone.
  • mike
  • Veteran
It'll take a few years but:
I like the pick but I figured he would've gone early in the third. Each of our RBs bring a different skill set to the field, I love it

IMO he's a better Kendall Hunter. Slightly bigger than the tiny Kendall Hunter. Certainly faster. Definitely more productive although Hunter was productive in college and good as a 1st year pro. I honestly think long term he takes Hunters job. I really do. I don't know if he will as a rookie?

1) Gore - are we keeping him or going youth and speed movement?

2) Lamichael James - long term better, faster and more productive than Hunter. Not sure if he is here as a rookie day 1. I think 49ers find it hard to take him off the field for Huter once they see all his explosive plays.

3) Kendall Hunter - change of pace, somewhat productive, very small. Trade bait? What's his future with the team?

4) Brandon Jacobs - 1 year deal, has slowed down some. What is his long term future with our team? Does he even make it?

5) Anthony Dixon - does he beat Jacobs? Do we keep him as the younger more long term guy over a 1 year Jacobs or give up entirely on him now?

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:31 PM ]
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Ok... so we added another WR in round one and then we go and get a fast spread offense RB who can catch the ball and play all over the field... AND who was very succesful running out of the shotgun formation in college... just so happens I know a qb who likes to throw out of the shotgun... and now that he has some WR we may very well see a little (or a lot) more of that.

Just sayin'

I think James and Hunter will be the RB's of the future... there really isn't any work horses in the NFL any more.

You're thinking about this too hard.

Getting playmakers at skill positions, plain and simple.

lol... no doubt.

I don't by any means think that was part of the decision to draft him, but more of a result of him being on the roster. I just recalled a bunch of talk last year about Gore not being able to run out of the shotgun... I just have ALL these ridiculous formations and plays running through my head!!
Originally posted by NinerGod:
BOOM! Love this pick!

@ 2:00 returns a Punt for a TD

Alot of draws and screens doe

We rarely run the screen for some stupid reason.

This guy looks like Hunter the second.

Bye Bye Boobie?
made a thread to debate roster battles in NT
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
I'm not buying his 4.45 40 time, this guy just explodes as soon as he has the ball in his hands. Looks like a 4.2 40 guy lol. Just insane burst, quick feet, outstanding balance, and outruns angles. f**king stoked to have a guy like this on the 49ers!!!

People don't seem to realize how little of a difference it truly is between 4.2 and .3 or .4. Snap your finger as fast as you can and that's probably about the difference haha. That's also why it's hard to do handheld 40 times, at his pro-day a handheld stopwatch got him at 4.23. Others were in the .3 or .4 range.

Then consider that on the field, unlike the track, it's more about getting separation than having a steady sprint. Once you have two or three steps on defenders you just have to not get caught from behind. So I think we could probably learn more from a 15 or 20 yard dash.

He plays fast, like I said he looks like the road runner the way his legs move haha. That's really all that matters and it's why baalke is all about the tape.

Totally agree 40 times can be so misleading... a player who can make slight changes in directions or cuts without losing speed play much faster than their 40 times. James is one of those guys - Sproles 40 times weren't great either but they are both so fast in and out of cuts and they run just as well in pads as they do in t-shirts and shorts.

Hell he ran hand held 4.37 at the combine. Guys posted the link in this thread. What's wrong with that? What worries me is where does the 49ersWZ get it's 40 times?.....

LMJ doesnt have desean jackson speed, but he has darren sproles type elite agility. I'd rather have someone run a 4.40 with INSANE quickness than someone who just runs fast in a straight line (ted ginn).
Share 49ersWebzone