Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 432 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by toeshawn:
What number will he choose

Hopefully he chooses 88.

He can be a part of the 88 Club, like Irvin says about Nicks.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Horrendous value. Many saw him as a guy who would be a reach in the SECOND ROUND, let alone the first. Now, personally I would have been JUST FINE if we traded back and took him, but I would have never touched Jenkins in the first.

Aldon was a fine pick because it was a legitimate top 12 pick kind of player AND filled an immediate need. Jenkins is not a legitimate first rounder, and unlike Aldon was not seen by ANYONE else as a first round talent. I simply did not find ANYTHING in the multiple games of watching Jenkins that led me to believe he was a star in the making.

My impression is he will be nothing more than a potential depth WR with STs ability. Obviously they expect his peak to be astronomically higher, but I am willing to bet they are wrong. I trust our staff, but they can't get every pick right, and I will venture to say this will be one that does not live up to 1st round status.

It might be a slight reach but nowhere near what you think. You had him 83rd on your list which obviously was WAY off. I would have liked for them to trade down a bit too but you make it sound like Jenkins would have lasted until the 3rd round which he would not have.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Posts: 122,136
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by toeshawn:
What number will he choose

Hopefully he chooses 88.

He can be a part of the 88 Club, like Irvin says about Nicks.

I like it
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Horrendous value. Many saw him as a guy who would be a reach in the SECOND ROUND, let alone the first. Now, personally I would have been JUST FINE if we traded back and took him, but I would have never touched Jenkins in the first.

Aldon was a fine pick because it was a legitimate top 12 pick kind of player AND filled an immediate need. Jenkins is not a legitimate first rounder, and unlike Aldon was not seen by ANYONE else as a first round talent. I simply did not find ANYTHING in the multiple games of watching Jenkins that led me to believe he was a star in the making.

My impression is he will be nothing more than a potential depth WR with STs ability. Obviously they expect his peak to be astronomically higher, but I am willing to bet they are wrong. I trust our staff, but they can't get every pick right, and I will venture to say this will be one that does not live up to 1st round status.

It might be a slight reach but nowhere near what you think. You had him 83rd on your list which obviously was WAY off. I would have liked for them to trade down a bit too but you make it sound like Jenkins would have lasted until the 3rd round which he would not have.

OTC proving that even our board's best "draft analyzer" knows nothing about scouting. But I guess we'll have to wait and see on this one.
Originally posted by mike:
Of course there are some beastly tall guys who are solid redzone targets and maybe 5 guys stand above the rest with at least 10 touchdowns.

But there are also plenty of examples of shorter guys putting up plenty of touchdowns in the 7-9 TD range- Greg Jennings, Welker, Cruz, Steve Smith, Santonio holmes, Mike Wallace(who some wanted us to spend a first on), Roddy White, James Jones, torrey smith. All under 6'2".

I get that, I just wanted a big kid to take over when Moss is gone next year so we don't have to draft another WR again. Jenkins may be a great pick and I hope he plays great and starts in the slot. I just don't like what we "paid" to get him.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,726
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Horrendous value. Many saw him as a guy who would be a reach in the SECOND ROUND, let alone the first. Now, personally I would have been JUST FINE if we traded back and took him, but I would have never touched Jenkins in the first.

Aldon was a fine pick because it was a legitimate top 12 pick kind of player AND filled an immediate need. Jenkins is not a legitimate first rounder, and unlike Aldon was not seen by ANYONE else as a first round talent. I simply did not find ANYTHING in the multiple games of watching Jenkins that led me to believe he was a star in the making.

My impression is he will be nothing more than a potential depth WR with STs ability. Obviously they expect his peak to be astronomically higher, but I am willing to bet they are wrong. I trust our staff, but they can't get every pick right, and I will venture to say this will be one that does not live up to 1st round status.

It might be a slight reach but nowhere near what you think. You had him 83rd on your list which obviously was WAY off. I would have liked for them to trade down a bit too but you make it sound like Jenkins would have lasted until the 3rd round which he would not have.

You are correct. There is no way with us, and at least one other GM that we're aware of, placing a 1st round grade on him he'd last til #61. Let alone the 3rd.

Sometimes GM's get it wrong. But pundits fare far worse. Time will tell.

There is no denying the kid has tremendous upside and plenty of time to grow.
People keep mentioning needing someone who can go up and snatch away the ball ala Moss, or in the draft Fleener or Hill etc, but while that's nice, I don't really agree. That essentially means you're counting on the guy to catch the ball when he's not really open. Alex shouldn't be throwing to receivers when they're not open and a receiver like Jenkins seems to fit us nicely precisely because he can get seperation and has great hands.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Horrendous value. Many saw him as a guy who would be a reach in the SECOND ROUND, let alone the first. Now, personally I would have been JUST FINE if we traded back and took him, but I would have never touched Jenkins in the first.

Aldon was a fine pick because it was a legitimate top 12 pick kind of player AND filled an immediate need. Jenkins is not a legitimate first rounder, and unlike Aldon was not seen by ANYONE else as a first round talent. I simply did not find ANYTHING in the multiple games of watching Jenkins that led me to believe he was a star in the making.

My impression is he will be nothing more than a potential depth WR with STs ability. Obviously they expect his peak to be astronomically higher, but I am willing to bet they are wrong. I trust our staff, but they can't get every pick right, and I will venture to say this will be one that does not live up to 1st round status.

It might be a slight reach but nowhere near what you think. You had him 83rd on your list which obviously was WAY off. I would have liked for them to trade down a bit too but you make it sound like Jenkins would have lasted until the 3rd round which he would not have.

Do you think Sea reached for Irvin?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,726
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mike:
Of course there are some beastly tall guys who are solid redzone targets and maybe 5 guys stand above the rest with at least 10 touchdowns.

But there are also plenty of examples of shorter guys putting up plenty of touchdowns in the 7-9 TD range- Greg Jennings, Welker, Cruz, Steve Smith, Santonio holmes, Mike Wallace(who some wanted us to spend a first on), Roddy White, James Jones, torrey smith. All under 6'2".

I get that, I just wanted a big kid to take over when Moss is gone next year so we don't have to draft another WR again. Jenkins may be a great pick and I hope he plays great and starts in the slot. I just don't like what we "paid" to get him.

At #30 with the revised rookie wage scale? The football equivalent of 3 volcano burritos and a bottle of Cholula.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
LOL all the Stephen Hill vs. Coby Fleener talk went down the drain. Baalke does it to us again, I was expecting this.

Yupp....lol


One big old plus..... This guy produced in college


No one is asking the guy to line up at flanker....

Go make something happen against a nickel back...

The guy has great mesurables great production....if he was 6-3 he would be to big for the slot and also have been taken in the top 10.....
Originally posted by mug0mug:
People keep mentioning needing someone who can go up and snatch away the ball ala Moss, or in the draft Fleener or Hill etc, but while that's nice, I don't really agree. That essentially means you're counting on the guy to catch the ball when he's not really open. Alex shouldn't be throwing to receivers when they're not open and a receiver like Jenkins seems to fit us nicely precisely because he can get seperation and has great hands.

Corner end zone jump balls....something we couldn't do.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm better with this pick now.

~ Big production.
~ Fast.
~ Quick.
~ Great hands.
~ Great routes.
~ Separation ability clearly seen on film.
~ Runs every route well.

He honestly reminds me of Marvin Harrison. I'm calling star player.....

I agree. My only thread I've started was in the Draft Forum about this AJ Jenkins guy from Illinois and how I wanted us to draft him. Everyone that posted after seemed to be making fun of me for asking about him. I will back up my belief by buying his jersey. I have never bought a jersey before but my first one will have Jenkins on the back.
Okay, AJ, we hear you... Welcome to the 49ers!
"Glad to be here. I have no words. I am just so blessed." Jenkins was my favorite receiver behind Blackmon in this draft. Someone tell me why Randle is better than this guy...because he's 2" taller? Jenkins will be the better pro IMO. And the fact that Baalke wanted him SPECIFICALLY the night before the draft AND turned down a chance to trade back a few spots makes me even more confident in the pick.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mike:
Of course there are some beastly tall guys who are solid redzone targets and maybe 5 guys stand above the rest with at least 10 touchdowns.

But there are also plenty of examples of shorter guys putting up plenty of touchdowns in the 7-9 TD range- Greg Jennings, Welker, Cruz, Steve Smith, Santonio holmes, Mike Wallace(who some wanted us to spend a first on), Roddy White, James Jones, torrey smith. All under 6'2".

I get that, I just wanted a big kid to take over when Moss is gone next year so we don't have to draft another WR again. Jenkins may be a great pick and I hope he plays great and starts in the slot. I just don't like what we "paid" to get him.

At #30 with the revised rookie wage scale? The football equivalent of 3 volcano burritos and a bottle of Cholula.

not $$$-value of the pick

trading back and getting an additional pick then taking that pick with our original 2nd and moving up higher in the 2nd could net a better player to couple with Jenkins
Originally posted by Garcia:

Guy is a stud.

Harbaugh said they clocked him @ a 4.31 @ the combine

I know this was his best game in college but just watching this I can see the Lloyd comparison someone said... but I'd say tougher.. more consistent hands and not afraid to go over the middle. He took some pretty good hits and held onto the ball.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,454
Originally posted by mug0mug:
People keep mentioning needing someone who can go up and snatch away the ball ala Moss, or in the draft Fleener or Hill etc, but while that's nice, I don't really agree. That essentially means you're counting on the guy to catch the ball when he's not really open. Alex shouldn't be throwing to receivers when they're not open and a receiver like Jenkins seems to fit us nicely precisely because he can get seperation and has great hands.

So you're saying he should basically never throw the ball? If NFL QB's waited for guys to be "open" they would be out of a job very quickly. At some point the WR's have to make plays. And those of us who are fans of taller targets understand that height plays a huge role in being able to catch balls in traffic, particularly in the red zone where we struggled.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone