There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Originally posted by dald1:
whos to say that manningham or moss wont be that guy? atleast the guy to free up davis, im also upset that the wr we got isnt that big but what are you going to do

Manningham is 6'0 tall

Moss is only on a 1 year deal

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/162094-aj-jenkins-wr-illinois/

Called it
It is odd. We picked a "raw" player at a higher risk last year in Aldon yet we pick a more polished player at a lower risk this year in Jenkins.
Originally posted by afflecksloverboy:
Originally posted by jreff22:
We needed a pass rusher and got one in Aldon....we needed a big RZ threat and didnt get one today

so?

that was kind of what every person was complaining about.....remember

there is a reason why people wanted Hill, Fleener, Randle, Streeter..etc etc...a big tall body
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Manningham is 6'0 tall

Moss is only on a 1 year deal

take a look at the catches manningham made in the nfc championship and superbowl, dudes a clutch player

EDIT:then again he had eli throwing to him...
[ Edited by dald1 on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by J49er:
Blame WR coach Morton..its his inability to evaluate wr talent (see Ronald Johnson)..He fell in love with Jenkins in the pre draft visit and convinced Harbaugh thus convincing front office that AJ Jenkins was the man to choose over Fleener and Hill, Alshon, Sanu, Randle, Quick and every other receiver in the draft..

source?

Seriously doubt this... Can't see Baalke and Harbaugh allowing anyone (let alone Morton) to affect their judgement on a first round pick.

If you look at Jenkins he screams a Baalke - Harbaugh pick. look at the intangibles... the production... etc.

Ronald Johnson was a sixth round pick. Teams miss on sixth round picks all the time. Poor comparison and you don't even have a source for this information.
Also, I should say that I very much hope I'm wrong. I understand I'm being bold when I say I don't expect Jenkins to be more than a #3 at least initially.

But let me warn this, to say those who don't like Jenkins are stupid and wrong would presume that Jenkins will automatically be a success and that Baalke will be right on almost every pick he ever makes. That's obviously not realistic.

Around the league, opinions on Jenkins were MASSIVELY VARIED. Most either thought he wasn't that special, or they loved him. I fell into the first category. I thought he was a guy who would provide good depth and play well on STs. I could be wrong and will happily be the first to admit it if I am. I just personally did not like the value. I have had my say in what I expect from Jenkins, but I will never write a player off even if I have tempered expectations for them.

Some players surprise and despite the expectation that they won't carry over their college numbers, they wind up doing well. I have very reserved expectations, but we will see. Hopefully he proves me totally wrong.
I was hoping to get him in the 2nd. All good doe, he's a beast
We needed a pass rusher and got one in Aldon....we needed a big RZ threat and didnt get one today

so?

that was kind of what every person was complaining about.....remember

there is a reason why people wanted Hill, Fleener, Randle, Streeter..etc etc...a big tall body

were any of them employed by the FO?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Horrendous value. Many saw him as a guy who would be a reach in the SECOND ROUND, let alone the first. Now, personally I would have been JUST FINE if we traded back and took him, but I would have never touched Jenkins in the first.

Aldon was a fine pick because it was a legitimate top 12 pick kind of player AND filled an immediate need. Jenkins is not a legitimate first rounder, and unlike Aldon was not seen by ANYONE else as a first round talent. I simply did not find ANYTHING in the multiple games of watching Jenkins that led me to believe he was a star in the making.

My impression is he will be nothing more than a potential depth WR with STs ability. Obviously they expect his peak to be astronomically higher, but I am willing to bet they are wrong. I trust our staff, but they can't get every pick right, and I will venture to say this will be one that does not live up to 1st round status.

And I should clarify, when I say "no one", I'm talking about prognosticators, not NFL Teams. I have no idea what their boards were. I do have doubts he was a 1st rounder on many of theirs though, considering he fell to 30 so easily.

I disagree with most of this... how you can determine a value without knowing what every other team thinks is beyond me. It appears as if the 9ers weren't the only team that liked Jenkins according to Peter King at least one other "wr needy team like Jenkins better than Floyd"

He was extremely productive last year - 90 catches and was responsible for over 50% of the passing offense... so to say that they expect his ceiling to be "astronomically" higher is a bit over the top.

Obviously Hill, Fleener, Randle etc... were not first rounders on other teams boards seeing how they fell out of the first round "so easily". Based on this logic... had we picked any of those players that would have been a reach as well. We could have easily traded back into the second round for them...
I did'nt like the pick at first, like most people, but more tape I see the better I feel. Just wish he was 2-4 inches taller. I'm not a Alex basher, but everyone knows he throws a high ball. I think he sees the field more than most people think. Did'nt Baalke say the player he was eyeing in the 1st rd would contribute this year.
Originally posted by Pick6:
Horrendous value. Many saw him as a guy who would be a reach in the SECOND ROUND, let alone the first. Now, personally I would have been JUST FINE if we traded back and took him, but I would have never touched Jenkins in the first.

Aldon was a fine pick because it was a legitimate top 12 pick kind of player AND filled an immediate need. Jenkins is not a legitimate first rounder, and unlike Aldon was not seen by ANYONE else as a first round talent. I simply did not find ANYTHING in the multiple games of watching Jenkins that led me to believe he was a star in the making.

My impression is he will be nothing more than a potential depth WR with STs ability. Obviously they expect his peak to be astronomically higher, but I am willing to bet they are wrong. I trust our staff, but they can't get every pick right, and I will venture to say this will be one that does not live up to 1st round status.

And I should clarify, when I say "no one", I'm talking about prognosticators, not NFL Teams. I have no idea what their boards were. I do have doubts he was a 1st rounder on many of theirs though, considering he fell to 30 so easily.

I disagree with most of this... how you can determine a value without knowing what every other team thinks is beyond me. It appears as if the 9ers weren't the only team that liked Jenkins according to Peter King at least one other "wr needy team like Jenkins better than Floyd"

He was extremely productive last year - 90 catches and was responsible for over 50% of the passing offense... so to say that they expect his ceiling to be "astronomically" higher is a bit over the top.

Obviously Hill, Fleener, Randle etc... were not first rounders on other teams boards seeing how they fell out of the first round "so easily". Based on this logic... had we picked any of those players that would have been a reach as well. We could have easily traded back into the second round for them...
This
Also, I should say that I very much hope I'm wrong. I understand I'm being bold when I say I don't expect Jenkins to be more than a #3 at least initially.

But let me warn this, to say those who don't like Jenkins are stupid and wrong would presume that Jenkins will automatically be a success and that Baalke will be right on almost every pick he ever makes. That's obviously not realistic.

Around the league, opinions on Jenkins were MASSIVELY VARIED. Most either thought he wasn't that special, or they loved him. I fell into the first category. I thought he was a guy who would provide good depth and play well on STs. I could be wrong and will happily be the first to admit it if I am. I just personally did not like the value. I have had my say in what I expect from Jenkins, but I will never write a player off even if I have tempered expectations for them.

Some players surprise and despite the expectation that they won't carry over their college numbers, they wind up doing well. I have very reserved expectations, but we will see. Hopefully he proves me totally wrong.
To me this is isn't about how good he will or won't be. Even if he ends up being great, if we could have gotten him later then why draft him so early? It just doesn't make sense. Trade down. Or pick someone else and then trade back up to get him where his value lands him. Drafts are all a crapshoot, so the best you can do is try and get the most value at each pick. We did not do that today.
FWIW:

Quote:
RT @SI_PeterKing Just talked to one team with a receiver need who liked first-round stunner AJ Jenkins over Michael Floyd.
Can the guy get, oh I don't know...one f**king practice in first?!