Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 338 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by Tommyboy:
Jenkins is a bust. Yes, I know it was his first year,but what first round draft pick never gets on the field. This isn't college. You don't red shirt 1st round picks. Thier expected to help the team. That's why thier drafted in the 1st round. Sad as it is we need another wideout for what the 3 year in a row.


P.S. What is with this new front office having trouble drafting good wideouts by the way. They just suck at it. I mean other then Crabtree.
What??? Jenkins obviously had a disappointing 1st year but he's not a bust. The zone always has to hate on someone. Baalke became GM at the same time Harbs became coach 2 years ago. Crabtree was drafted by Scott Mc. Our past teams with Nolan and Sing, draft picks got on the field faster because we sucked and the talent wasn't used properly. Aldon was 7th overall and he would only come in on 3rd down because he only knew how to rush the QB. Jenkins can end up a bust after a couple of years but come on. It's different for every player and how fast they adjust to the NFL.

Aldon has 14 sacks his first year. Sure thats the comparisson you want to make?

People compareing his to QB's and other such possitions are seriously reaching.

He is a WR. The only two WR's capable of playing by the end of the year were crabtree, and a old washed up moss. Ginn and a nobody chad hall were seeing snaps before him. When he did get on the field he looked lost.
Sure... the comparison is fine. Aldon was a linebacker but he didn't know the Defense and was a liability in pass coverage etc... He only came in on 3rd down to rush the QB. He had a good year considering the circumstances but many Niner fans gripped about how Aldon should be on the field all the time.

I'm not disagreeing that Jenkins had a bad year. he wasn't good enough to have an impact that's for sure. I'm not going to pretend that I know what was happening on the scout team or the depth chart with Jenkins though... I just know he's not a bust, yet... But our team is filled with former 1st round picks that we drafted or we plucked from other teams because they never developed with their original team.

No. The comparison is not even remotely fine.

Aldon switched from DE to OLB on one of the better defenses in the NFL. We had Haralson that was extremely underrated in pass and run protection, so he didnt need to be an every down back, and by the end of the season he as getting the majority of the reps there.. But regardless of not being an every down back he had 14 sacks, 37 tackles, 2 FF, 1 FR, 4 PD, and 1 STF. The guy balled for a rookie making that kind of switch.

AJ jenkins on the other hand has always been a WR. he had a statline of 0 all the way accross the board, even after both MM and KW went down, and the only WR's worth note left were Crabtree and a ashed up Moss. He looked lost when he did get on the feild, his teammates had to get him into position, and Ginn and Hall were chosen over him in our superbowl run. That is not what you are supposed to get out of a first round WR.

He may very well turn out OK, and yes it is too early to call him a total bust, but unfortunately it was a bust of a first season. IMO it looks more likely he will be cut in a season or two than it looks like he will be making the probowl in a season or two.

Not true. He had 1 drop.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by Tommyboy:
Jenkins is a bust. Yes, I know it was his first year,but what first round draft pick never gets on the field. This isn't college. You don't red shirt 1st round picks. Thier expected to help the team. That's why thier drafted in the 1st round. Sad as it is we need another wideout for what the 3 year in a row.


P.S. What is with this new front office having trouble drafting good wideouts by the way. They just suck at it. I mean other then Crabtree.
What??? Jenkins obviously had a disappointing 1st year but he's not a bust. The zone always has to hate on someone. Baalke became GM at the same time Harbs became coach 2 years ago. Crabtree was drafted by Scott Mc. Our past teams with Nolan and Sing, draft picks got on the field faster because we sucked and the talent wasn't used properly. Aldon was 7th overall and he would only come in on 3rd down because he only knew how to rush the QB. Jenkins can end up a bust after a couple of years but come on. It's different for every player and how fast they adjust to the NFL.

Aldon has 14 sacks his first year. Sure thats the comparisson you want to make?

People compareing his to QB's and other such possitions are seriously reaching.

He is a WR. The only two WR's capable of playing by the end of the year were crabtree, and a old washed up moss. Ginn and a nobody chad hall were seeing snaps before him. When he did get on the field he looked lost.
Sure... the comparison is fine. Aldon was a linebacker but he didn't know the Defense and was a liability in pass coverage etc... He only came in on 3rd down to rush the QB. He had a good year considering the circumstances but many Niner fans gripped about how Aldon should be on the field all the time.

I'm not disagreeing that Jenkins had a bad year. he wasn't good enough to have an impact that's for sure. I'm not going to pretend that I know what was happening on the scout team or the depth chart with Jenkins though... I just know he's not a bust, yet... But our team is filled with former 1st round picks that we drafted or we plucked from other teams because they never developed with their original team.

No. The comparison is not even remotely fine.

Aldon switched from DE to OLB on one of the better defenses in the NFL. We had Haralson that was extremely underrated in pass and run protection, so he didnt need to be an every down back, and by the end of the season he as getting the majority of the reps there.. But regardless of not being an every down back he had 14 sacks, 37 tackles, 2 FF, 1 FR, 4 PD, and 1 STF. The guy balled for a rookie making that kind of switch.

AJ jenkins on the other hand has always been a WR. he had a statline of 0 all the way accross the board, even after both MM and KW went down, and the only WR's worth note left were Crabtree and a ashed up Moss. He looked lost when he did get on the feild, his teammates had to get him into position, and Ginn and Hall were chosen over him in our superbowl run. That is not what you are supposed to get out of a first round WR.

He may very well turn out OK, and yes it is too early to call him a total bust, but unfortunately it was a bust of a first season. IMO it looks more likely he will be cut in a season or two than it looks like he will be making the probowl in a season or two.

Not true. He had 1 drop.

You are correct. Thanks for the stat line correction.
At least his head is in the right place. He's leaving for Atlanta to do intense work with Kaepernick and wants to mold himself into a "different kind of receiver" next year. We'll see. He could surprise fans next season.
Originally posted by jreff22:
That's the million dollar question.

If his comments about working out with Keap and getting bigger and stronger are any indication I would say it might be a physical issue (strength/conditioning or catching).

But being that his scouting reports said he had good hands I cant see it being a pass catching issue. But being that he had an entire football season to get bigger and faster and digest a playbook.....I really dont know.

Im almost 100% it was a physical issue in his draft report the majore con was his slim build and lack of strengh when it came to fighting for the ball. The positives were his excellent route running and his hands. In college he snatched he ball like it was nothing, i think the workouts in the off season are to build size and strength and he needs to adapt to receiving lasers from Kaep because he college qb threw the ball pretty soft.
I always thouht jenkins looked soft. Ever since drafting him, he seemed to be "awe struck" like not really ready for the next step. Maybe he needs a few good hits, maybe he just needed more playing time than he got but he kind of acted like a little boy among all his hero's i thought. I love the dude, he's fast, has good hands and can be a playmaker...just hope he touhens up this year.
He was probably getting knocked around when he tried to block. These coaches demand that receivers block.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by Tommyboy:
Jenkins is a bust. Yes, I know it was his first year,but what first round draft pick never gets on the field. This isn't college. You don't red shirt 1st round picks. Thier expected to help the team. That's why thier drafted in the 1st round. Sad as it is we need another wideout for what the 3 year in a row.


P.S. What is with this new front office having trouble drafting good wideouts by the way. They just suck at it. I mean other then Crabtree.
What??? Jenkins obviously had a disappointing 1st year but he's not a bust. The zone always has to hate on someone. Baalke became GM at the same time Harbs became coach 2 years ago. Crabtree was drafted by Scott Mc. Our past teams with Nolan and Sing, draft picks got on the field faster because we sucked and the talent wasn't used properly. Aldon was 7th overall and he would only come in on 3rd down because he only knew how to rush the QB. Jenkins can end up a bust after a couple of years but come on. It's different for every player and how fast they adjust to the NFL.

Aldon has 14 sacks his first year. Sure thats the comparisson you want to make?

People compareing his to QB's and other such possitions are seriously reaching.

He is a WR. The only two WR's capable of playing by the end of the year were crabtree, and a old washed up moss. Ginn and a nobody chad hall were seeing snaps before him. When he did get on the field he looked lost.
Sure... the comparison is fine. Aldon was a linebacker but he didn't know the Defense and was a liability in pass coverage etc... He only came in on 3rd down to rush the QB. He had a good year considering the circumstances but many Niner fans gripped about how Aldon should be on the field all the time.

I'm not disagreeing that Jenkins had a bad year. he wasn't good enough to have an impact that's for sure. I'm not going to pretend that I know what was happening on the scout team or the depth chart with Jenkins though... I just know he's not a bust, yet... But our team is filled with former 1st round picks that we drafted or we plucked from other teams because they never developed with their original team.

No. The comparison is not even remotely fine.

Aldon switched from DE to OLB on one of the better defenses in the NFL. We had Haralson that was extremely underrated in pass and run protection, so he didnt need to be an every down back, and by the end of the season he as getting the majority of the reps there.. But regardless of not being an every down back he had 14 sacks, 37 tackles, 2 FF, 1 FR, 4 PD, and 1 STF. The guy balled for a rookie making that kind of switch.

AJ jenkins on the other hand has always been a WR. he had a statline of 0 all the way accross the board, even after both MM and KW went down, and the only WR's worth note left were Crabtree and a ashed up Moss. He looked lost when he did get on the feild, his teammates had to get him into position, and Ginn and Hall were chosen over him in our superbowl run. That is not what you are supposed to get out of a first round WR.

He may very well turn out OK, and yes it is too early to call him a total bust, but unfortunately it was a bust of a first season. IMO it looks more likely he will be cut in a season or two than it looks like he will be making the probowl in a season or two.
Dude it's fine. I'm not disagreeing with anything you are saying. I guess instead of comparison I should say Aldon is an example. He didn't know the Defense very well. Aldon had a good rookie season... Jenkins did not. I don't know the reasons. People said Kaep was a project and he would take years to develop. I remember seeing all the pictures posted in training camp of his funky release and everyone laughing at Harbs bad pick. He turned out to to not be a project at all and he had to learn to play under center and a new system etc...

Jenkins has always played wr so yeah he should have done better, IMO. Some guys just take longer. Most of the zone bashed Crabs his first 3 years even though he was putting up numbers so I guess Jenkins is really going to get it. But I don't know what their intentions are for him. I don't know if they want him to bulk up, just learn the ropes, get faster, etc... We don't use multiple wr sets all the time so I wasn't expecting him to take the field much anyways. Crabtree was #1 and Moss was #2. Then we signed Mario and we still had williams and Ginn as speedsters. My expectations were low for him. Next year is a different story.

Originally posted by 5timechamps:
AJ is going to get better.

i hope so. if he catches one ball next season it's an improvement.

2012 - 0 rec.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
At least his head is in the right place. He's leaving for Atlanta to do intense work with Kaepernick and wants to mold himself into a "different kind of receiver" next year. We'll see. He could surprise fans next season.

Talk is cheap. I will beleive it when i see it.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by jreff22:
That's the million dollar question.

If his comments about working out with Keap and getting bigger and stronger are any indication I would say it might be a physical issue (strength/conditioning or catching).

But being that his scouting reports said he had good hands I cant see it being a pass catching issue. But being that he had an entire football season to get bigger and faster and digest a playbook.....I really dont know.

Im almost 100% it was a physical issue in his draft report the majore con was his slim build and lack of strengh when it came to fighting for the ball. The positives were his excellent route running and his hands. In college he snatched he ball like it was nothing, i think the workouts in the off season are to build size and strength and he needs to adapt to receiving lasers from Kaep because he college qb threw the ball pretty soft.

Problem I have is lots of guys play at this size. And in 6 months he should be able to put on 5-10lb's. If he comes in under 200 in TC I want to know what the hell the real excuse is.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by jreff22:
That's the million dollar question.

If his comments about working out with Keap and getting bigger and stronger are any indication I would say it might be a physical issue (strength/conditioning or catching).

But being that his scouting reports said he had good hands I cant see it being a pass catching issue. But being that he had an entire football season to get bigger and faster and digest a playbook.....I really dont know.

Im almost 100% it was a physical issue in his draft report the majore con was his slim build and lack of strengh when it came to fighting for the ball. The positives were his excellent route running and his hands. In college he snatched he ball like it was nothing, i think the workouts in the off season are to build size and strength and he needs to adapt to receiving lasers from Kaep because he college qb threw the ball pretty soft.

Problem I have is lots of guys play at this size. And in 6 months he should be able to put on 5-10lb's. If he comes in under 200 in TC I want to know what the hell the real excuse is.

I think the biggest issue is mental. I dont think he had a clue about digesting the play book. I dont know hat he scored on the wonderlic i would be interested to know. It seemed like he was not even close to ready for the big stage. The real depressing thing is that there were alot of players with that first that would have improved this team year one, and alot of WR's in the second available for developing.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by jreff22:
That's the million dollar question.

If his comments about working out with Keap and getting bigger and stronger are any indication I would say it might be a physical issue (strength/conditioning or catching).

But being that his scouting reports said he had good hands I cant see it being a pass catching issue. But being that he had an entire football season to get bigger and faster and digest a playbook.....I really dont know.

Im almost 100% it was a physical issue in his draft report the majore con was his slim build and lack of strengh when it came to fighting for the ball. The positives were his excellent route running and his hands. In college he snatched he ball like it was nothing, i think the workouts in the off season are to build size and strength and he needs to adapt to receiving lasers from Kaep because he college qb threw the ball pretty soft.

Problem I have is lots of guys play at this size. And in 6 months he should be able to put on 5-10lb's. If he comes in under 200 in TC I want to know what the hell the real excuse is.

I think the biggest issue is mental. I dont think he had a clue about digesting the play book. I dont know hat he scored on the wonderlic i would be interested to know. It seemed like he was not even close to ready for the big stage. The real depressing thing is that there were alot of players with that first that would have improved this team year one, and alot of WR's in the second available for developing.

If it happens to be a physical thing putting 5-10 lbs of muscle for some people is harder then it is for others, and he has one of those skinny boy builds. It may possibly be what was mentioned earlier also was he probably knows nothing about blocking in Ill he was just a route runner, and he ran really crisp routes really quickly. Who knows though
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by jreff22:
That's the million dollar question.

If his comments about working out with Keap and getting bigger and stronger are any indication I would say it might be a physical issue (strength/conditioning or catching).

But being that his scouting reports said he had good hands I cant see it being a pass catching issue. But being that he had an entire football season to get bigger and faster and digest a playbook.....I really dont know.

Im almost 100% it was a physical issue in his draft report the majore con was his slim build and lack of strengh when it came to fighting for the ball. The positives were his excellent route running and his hands. In college he snatched he ball like it was nothing, i think the workouts in the off season are to build size and strength and he needs to adapt to receiving lasers from Kaep because he college qb threw the ball pretty soft.

Problem I have is lots of guys play at this size. And in 6 months he should be able to put on 5-10lb's. If he comes in under 200 in TC I want to know what the hell the real excuse is.

I think the biggest issue is mental. I dont think he had a clue about digesting the play book. I dont know hat he scored on the wonderlic i would be interested to know. It seemed like he was not even close to ready for the big stage. The real depressing thing is that there were alot of players with that first that would have improved this team year one, and alot of WR's in the second available for developing.

If it happens to be a physical thing putting 5-10 lbs of muscle for some people is harder then it is for others, and he has one of those skinny boy builds. It may possibly be what was mentioned earlier also was he probably knows nothing about blocking in Ill he was just a route runner, and he ran really crisp routes really quickly. Who knows though

He couldnt even line up right when he got in there. I have to beleive he was only included in a couple of packages and a couple of plays, so it asnt even necissary for him to know every play in the playbook like a QB or RB. All he needed to know was the assignment for his designed packages and he couldnt even handle that after a full season.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
He couldnt even line up right when he got in there. I have to beleive he was only included in a couple of packages and a couple of plays, so it asnt even necissary for him to know every play in the playbook like a QB or RB. All he needed to know was the assignment for his designed packages and he couldnt even handle that after a full season.

Yeah maybe its a mix of mental and physical, digesting our playbook would be a little complicated i would guess for most rookies. Which would explain him lining up just in certain packages.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone