There are 141 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I wonder how many fans would be willing to eat there own words if he comes out next season, and plays out of his mind, i hope it would be more then the ones still trapped in the QB debate.

Would have no problems eating up a plate of crow meat if he does that.....Would enjoy ever bit of it...Mmmmmm

same here--I will gladly eat my own words.
this times infinity,, i love it when i am wrong when it is good for the team. i have zero hopes for jenkins so that way i can be happy with whatever he ends up doing,,, if anything. again he has a second off season and is going to camp kap so he should be better,,, if we are setting here next year having the same talk about his lack of production well then we know for sure it was a major major mistake, not a franchise or season killing mistake but a major one nontheless
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Haven't been following the AJ situation. What is it that is the problem? Doesn't know the playbook?
Originally posted by Tommyboy:
Jenkins is a bust. Yes, I know it was his first year,but what first round draft pick never gets on the field. This isn't college. You don't red shirt 1st round picks. Thier expected to help the team. That's why thier drafted in the 1st round. Sad as it is we need another wideout for what the 3 year in a row.

P.S. What is with this new front office having trouble drafting good wideouts by the way. They just suck at it. I mean other then Crabtree.
What??? Jenkins obviously had a disappointing 1st year but he's not a bust. The zone always has to hate on someone. Baalke became GM at the same time Harbs became coach 2 years ago. Crabtree was drafted by Scott Mc. Our past teams with Nolan and Sing, draft picks got on the field faster because we sucked and the talent wasn't used properly. Aldon was 7th overall and he would only come in on 3rd down because he only knew how to rush the QB. Jenkins can end up a bust after a couple of years but come on. It's different for every player and how fast they adjust to the NFL.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Jenkins is a bust. Yes, I know it was his first year,but what first round draft pick never gets on the field. This isn't college. You don't red shirt 1st round picks. Thier expected to help the team. That's why thier drafted in the 1st round. Sad as it is we need another wideout for what the 3 year in a row.

P.S. What is with this new front office having trouble drafting good wideouts by the way. They just suck at it. I mean other then Crabtree.
What??? Jenkins obviously had a disappointing 1st year but he's not a bust. The zone always has to hate on someone. Baalke became GM at the same time Harbs became coach 2 years ago. Crabtree was drafted by Scott Mc. Our past teams with Nolan and Sing, draft picks got on the field faster because we sucked and the talent wasn't used properly. Aldon was 7th overall and he would only come in on 3rd down because he only knew how to rush the QB. Jenkins can end up a bust after a couple of years but come on. It's different for every player and how fast they adjust to the NFL.

i notice a trend in this league. fans want to be the first to say this player is a beast or this player is a bust. nobody knows how it shakes down, but everyone wants to act like they do.

Aldon has 14 sacks his first year. Sure thats the comparisson you want to make?

People compareing his to QB's and other such possitions are seriously reaching.

He is a WR. The only two WR's capable of playing by the end of the year were crabtree, and a old washed up moss. Ginn and a nobody chad hall were seeing snaps before him. When he did get on the field he looked lost.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

He is a WR. The only two WR's capable of playing by the end of the year were crabtree, and a old washed up moss. Ginn and a nobody chad hall were seeing snaps before him. When he did get on the field he looked lost.
idaho has said nothing wrong. i guess i am glad he is going to camp kap in the off season but it is really really hard for me to support him after his :showing" this year
Originally posted by mayo49:
Haven't been following the AJ situation. What is it that is the problem? Doesn't know the playbook?

That's the million dollar question.

If his comments about working out with Keap and getting bigger and stronger are any indication I would say it might be a physical issue (strength/conditioning or catching).

But being that his scouting reports said he had good hands I cant see it being a pass catching issue. But being that he had an entire football season to get bigger and faster and digest a playbook.....I really dont know.
I see the Jenkins situation coincide with the Kaep situation. Do the coaches want to have a qb with his first 10 start to throw to a rookie receiver for more than a hand full of plays per game...that scares the s**t out of me just thinking about.

Sure... the comparison is fine. Aldon was a linebacker but he didn't know the Defense and was a liability in pass coverage etc... He only came in on 3rd down to rush the QB. He had a good year considering the circumstances but many Niner fans gripped about how Aldon should be on the field all the time.

I'm not disagreeing that Jenkins had a bad year. he wasn't good enough to have an impact that's for sure. I'm not going to pretend that I know what was happening on the scout team or the depth chart with Jenkins though... I just know he's not a bust, yet... But our team is filled with former 1st round picks that we drafted or we plucked from other teams because they never developed with their original team.

Sure... the comparison is fine. Aldon was a linebacker but he didn't know the Defense and was a liability in pass coverage etc... He only came in on 3rd down to rush the QB. He had a good year considering the circumstances but many Niner fans gripped about how Aldon should be on the field all the time.

I'm not disagreeing that Jenkins had a bad year. he wasn't good enough to have an impact that's for sure. I'm not going to pretend that I know what was happening on the scout team or the depth chart with Jenkins though... I just know he's not a bust, yet... But our team is filled with former 1st round picks that we drafted or we plucked from other teams because they never developed with their original team.

Just for the record, Baalke had GM responsibilities without the actual title one year before Harbaugh came on board. This was still one year before Crabtree's draft, though.

Originally posted by ElDannMann:

Just for the record, Baalke had GM responsibilities without the actual title one year before Harbaugh came on board. This was still one year before Crabtree's draft, though.

he had "gm responsibilities"....scotty mac left so close to the draft a lot of the board had been already set, also singletary was given a stronger voice in that draft, thats how mays ended up being picked. baalke wanted no part of that and you could tell by how quickly after the lock out he flipped mays for a 7th rounder not even in the next upcoming draft it was for the 2012 one.
AJ is going to get better.
Originally posted by 5timechamps:
AJ is going to get better.

He better and I hope Harbs let him know that he better step it up. I'lll let this year go but he better show up producing next year.
[ Edited by TheChozen on Feb 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM ]

No. The comparison is not even remotely fine.

Aldon switched from DE to OLB on one of the better defenses in the NFL. We had Haralson that was extremely underrated in pass and run protection, so he didnt need to be an every down back, and by the end of the season he as getting the majority of the reps there.. But regardless of not being an every down back he had 14 sacks, 37 tackles, 2 FF, 1 FR, 4 PD, and 1 STF. The guy balled for a rookie making that kind of switch.

AJ jenkins on the other hand has always been a WR. he had a statline of 0 all the way accross the board, even after both MM and KW went down, and the only WR's worth note left were Crabtree and a ashed up Moss. He looked lost when he did get on the feild, his teammates had to get him into position, and Ginn and Hall were chosen over him in our superbowl run. That is not what you are supposed to get out of a first round WR.

He may very well turn out OK, and yes it is too early to call him a total bust, but unfortunately it was a bust of a first season. IMO it looks more likely he will be cut in a season or two than it looks like he will be making the probowl in a season or two.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
My biggest issue with the AJ Jenkins pick is this....

Last year (2011 season), one of the biggest issues for the Niners was converting 3rd down plays and red zone trips into TDs.... So, what do they do? They pass on Coby Fleener, the TE from Stanford who is a huge 6'6" target, has a 35"+ vertical leap, has great hands, and knows Harbaugh's system!! Do any of you think that he might have been of some help in the SB, where the Niners were 2 for 9 on 3rd down and 2 for 6 in the red zone?

I love Baalke but he blew it big time with that Jenkins pick.

I was as upset with this one as I was with Wilfork (e.g. Mr. Gone Fish'n).

But we'll see in a few years where he's at.
Share 49ersWebzone