LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dald1:
Originally posted by okdkid:
How can anybody hate on this pick?! Especially after Aldon last year?

We just watched every single team pass on Fleener and Hill... some passed on them twice. So, uh... maybe they're just not as good as the hype. Time will tell.

not saying i dont love the pick, and sorry to quote you, but im sick and tired of everyone pointing out aldon from last year, yes balke made a great pick last year and is a better talent evalutor than any of us on the forum that does not mean that he incapable of making a bust pick.

It's not that all of Baalke's picks are gold, but people are frustrated at the constant second guessing immediately... especially after people were second guessing Aldon Smith last year. People just need to wait and see.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by afflecksloverboy:
Originally posted by J49er:
Blame WR coach Morton..its his inability to evaluate wr talent (see Ronald Johnson)..He fell in love with Jenkins in the pre draft visit and convinced Harbaugh thus convincing front office that AJ Jenkins was the man to choose over Fleener and Hill, Alshon, Sanu, Randle, Quick and every other receiver in the draft..

source?

Seriously doubt this... Can't see Baalke and Harbaugh allowing anyone (let alone Morton) to affect their judgement on a first round pick.

If you look at Jenkins he screams a Baalke - Harbaugh pick. look at the intangibles... the production... etc.
Originally posted by Axl49:
Need a Guard and we didnt get one I hope dont bite us in the ass.

DeCastro and Zeitler were in range for a trade-up, and there were/are a lot of high-profile guards on the board. But remember, offensive guard is a position that can be plugged in. We picked up a guard last year in the fifth round with the thought that he'd be competing for a starting position one day. Still a lot of 2nd round guards that could be good, and still guys in five other rounds. I feel good about it.

As a wide receiver, he's not as highly touted as the other receivers, but the 49ers did their homework.. and they liked him enough to take him over the #1 tight end that Harbaugh personally coached, and a 6'4" speed demon of a wide receiver... as well as a bunch of very good offensive guards.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
"Baalke said the Minnesota Vikings called the 49ers to see if they were interested in trading. That would have given the 49ers the third pick in the second round.

But Baalke said he worried that another team would have come in and taken Jenkins before the 49ers. "He would have gone a lot sooner tomorrow than a lot of people think," Baalke said."

Rams or Colts were the only two teams ahead of the Vikings at #3 tomorrow. Make of it what you will.

What else would they have gotten I wonder? Probably wouldnt have been worth it to them even though it was only 5 spots. Its not like the salary is a big difference. They were probably offering a 5th or 6th round pick. Totally not worth it.
what the Ravens got a 4th

Pass.

Could let us take our 2nd second round with that additional 4th and move into the teens

Huh? Are you saying we could have traded the two second round picks to trade into the teens when it was already pick 30?
My initial reaction to this pick was "huh!!?? I'm glad we went with a WR, it just wasn't who I was expecting. I had a similar feeling with Aldon last year, glad we took an OLB just not who I expected.

Anyways, Jenkins looks like a solid player. One thing he has over Hill or Randle is production. He's got very good hands too. Rarely, if ever, see him body catch.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Fleener didn't get drafted, lol
  • Dapro
  • Veteran
I think if the Niners don't pick Jenkins, the Rams will pick him up in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

We just watched every single team pass on Fleener and Hill... some passed on them twice. So, uh... maybe they're just not as good as the hype. Time will tell.

not saying i dont love the pick, and sorry to quote you, but im sick and tired of everyone pointing out aldon from last year, yes balke made a great pick last year and is a better talent evalutor than any of us on the forum that does not mean that he incapable of making a bust pick.

It's not that all of Baalke's picks are gold, but people are frustrated at the constant second guessing immediately... especially after people were second guessing Aldon Smith last year. People just need to wait and see.

We needed a pass rusher and got one in Aldon....we needed a big RZ threat and didnt get one today
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
"Baalke said the Minnesota Vikings called the 49ers to see if they were interested in trading. That would have given the 49ers the third pick in the second round.

But Baalke said he worried that another team would have come in and taken Jenkins before the 49ers. "He would have gone a lot sooner tomorrow than a lot of people think," Baalke said."

Rams or Colts were the only two teams ahead of the Vikings at #3 tomorrow. Make of it what you will.

What else would they have gotten I wonder? Probably wouldnt have been worth it to them even though it was only 5 spots. Its not like the salary is a big difference. They were probably offering a 5th or 6th round pick. Totally not worth it.
what the Ravens got a 4th

Pass.

Could let us take our 2nd second round with that additional 4th and move into the teens

Huh? Are you saying we could have traded the two second round picks to trade into the teens when it was already pick 30?

our late pick tomorrow....that plus the 4th we would of gained would let us trade both picks to move up higher into the 2nd
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Horrendous value. Many saw him as a guy who would be a reach in the SECOND ROUND, let alone the first. Now, personally I would have been JUST FINE if we traded back and took him, but I would have never touched Jenkins in the first.

Aldon was a fine pick because it was a legitimate top 12 pick kind of player AND filled an immediate need. Jenkins is not a legitimate first rounder, and unlike Aldon was not seen by ANYONE else as a first round talent. I simply did not find ANYTHING in the multiple games of watching Jenkins that led me to believe he was a star in the making.

My impression is he will be nothing more than a potential depth WR with STs ability. Obviously they expect his peak to be astronomically higher, but I am willing to bet they are wrong. I trust our staff, but they can't get every pick right, and I will venture to say this will be one that does not live up to 1st round status.

And I should clarify, when I say "no one", I'm talking about prognosticators, not NFL Teams. I have no idea what their boards were. I do have doubts he was a 1st rounder on many of theirs though, considering he fell to 30 so easily.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM ]

We needed a pass rusher and got one in Aldon....we needed a big RZ threat and didnt get one today

+1
[ Edited by ALLDONE on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

First of all, we just need talent at WR period. Second, there are six more rounds.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Jenkins is obviously a project, given that our current receiving corps are ready to produce here and now: Moss/Crabs/Manningham. This gives Harbaugh the luxury to groom Jenkins to earn a starting role in the future, with all of the work habits Harbaugh relishes in his players instilled during the time Jenkins spends on the bench.

a project? lol.

i think they got him in 2006.

We just need some more effective wrs to draw attention away from VD
Horrendous value. Many saw him as a guy who would be a reach in the SECOND ROUND, let alone the first. Now, personally I would have been JUST FINE if we traded back and took him, but I would have never touched Jenkins in the first.

Aldon was a fine pick because it was a legitimate top 12 pick kind of player AND filled an immediate need. Jenkins is not a legitimate first rounder, and unlike Aldon was not seen by ANYONE else as a first round talent. I simply did not find ANYTHING in the multiple games of watching Jenkins that led me to believe he was a star in the making.

My impression is he will be nothing more than a potential depth WR with STs ability. Obviously they expect his peak to be astronomically higher, but I am willing to bet they are wrong. I trust our staff, but they can't get every pick right, and I will venture to say this will be one that does not live up to 1st round status.

And I should clarify, when I say "no one", I'm talking about prognosticators, not NFL Teams. I have no idea what their boards were. I do have doubts he was a 1st rounder on theirs though, considering he fell to 30 so easily.

Then you should avoid to talking to people like Peter King, who actually talk to GM's, who state that GM's had Jenkins higher on their board than Michael Floyd.
Share 49ersWebzone