LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 201 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by SkyGod:
James is going to be an excellent situational back and KR but don't project him out to be an every down feature back he's too small in stature and goes down too easy. Martin is already a stud feature back and Wilson is right there as well. Would rather have had Martin or Wilson with our 1st pick. Then either traded up to get Stephen Hill in the 2nd or waited for Randle who was still on the board with our 2nd.

1st: Martin/Wilson
2nd: Hill/Randle

While hindsight is always 20/20 a ton of 49ers fans and analyst's were calling for this 49ers draft.

Certainly would have been a better draft than Jenkins/James.

you cant say that after only 1 year, you people are so impatient, simmer down

Sure you can. Martin is a top feature back and Randle came up big when NY needed him after injuries. Jenkins may not be a bust but he never should have been a first round pick and its clear the Niners lost out on bigger impact players.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Come on guys a little early for this talk of bust. It took 7 years for us to figure out Alex. Let's give the kid time to grow up and let the game slow down for him.

This is the cutthroat NFL, and it's do-or-die now in a super-bowl calibre organization. Learn quickly and do it well, or get the hell out.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr: Come on guys a little early for this talk of bust. It took 7 years for us to figure out Alex. Let's give the kid time to grow up and let the game slow down for him.

You are wasting your time comparing a QB with WR. Other than the whole responsibility and job requirements, there are 2 to 3 WRs (and they rotate in) on every play.

Fact: Jenkins showed up to Camp out of shape
Fact: Jenkins struggled to show attitude needed during the season
Fact: Jenkins has 0 catches this year

That's atleast 2 strikes right there. Seems to be he showed up not ready and has continued to struggle. Unless our WR core declines with injuries or players leaving, don't see how someone like Jenkins would be seeing the field for a Title Contender.
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM ]
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xtm059:
Come on guys a little early for this talk of bust. It took 7 years for us to figure out Alex. Let's give the kid time to grow up and let the game slow down for him.

This is the cutthroat NFL, and it's do-or-die now in a super-bowl calibre organization. Learn quickly and do it well, or get the hell out.

I'm sure you (we) would have said the same thing about LMJ and now he's looking pretty good. If he doesn't contribute next season, I"m on board. I would rather have had Fleener anyhow.
I thought they wanted him to buff up he's a little undersized, I'm comparing Alex because 1 td and 11 ints should have been booted out the nfl a decade ago and the majority of the fans have wanted that until Jim got something out of him. You also have to see the offense we run aka heavy tightend use. Davis, Walker, Crabtree, Moss we don't really spread teams out, we also run heavy set olines and push for a yard. Were not going to line up 5 wr's and throw the ball like tom brady and the pats do every game. Were just not that kind of team. We have so many other options that come before Jenkins, a lot of other playmakers who have proven and that's what jenkins has to do, but it's going to be in practice, if he wants to get a play or two on the field. I'll give him a 4 year pass like crabtree if he's not have 1000 yard season by than, it's time to split and find another player.
I thought they wanted him to buff up he's a little undersized, I'm comparing Alex because 1 td and 11 ints should have been booted out the nfl a decade ago and the majority of the fans have wanted that until Jim got something out of him. You also have to see the offense we run aka heavy tightend use. Davis, Walker, Crabtree, Moss we don't really spread teams out, we also run heavy set olines and push for a yard. Were not going to line up 5 wr's and throw the ball like tom brady and the pats do every game. Were just not that kind of team. We have so many other options that come before Jenkins, a lot of other playmakers who have proven and that's what jenkins has to do, but it's going to be in practice, if he wants to get a play or two on the field. I'll give him a 4 year pass like crabtree if he's not have 1000 yard season by than, it's time to split and find another player.

yea dude is way too skinny, needs to bulk up quick to play in the nfl.
That buff up crap is bs, does Wallace, maclin and Jackson all need to buff up? The dude just needs to learn the play book and the speed of the game
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
That buff up crap is bs, does Wallace, maclin and Jackson all need to buff up? The dude just needs to learn the play book and the speed of the game
This, Chad Hall is 5-8 180 lol
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KEGster:
You are wasting your time comparing a QB with WR. Other than the whole responsibility and job requirements, there are 2 to 3 WRs (and they rotate in) on every play.

That's atleast 2 strikes right there. Seems to be he showed up not ready and has continued to struggle. Unless our WR core declines with injuries or players leaving, don't see how someone like Jenkins would be seeing the field for a Title Contender.

I didn't know he had an attitude problem. That's the first I've heard of that.
I want to cut the guy some slack since it is his rookie year and he was off to a slow start, but it was a little upsetting seeing practice squad Chad Hall actually get into the game and our first rounder can't.

Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by KEGster:

I didn't know he had an attitude problem. That's the first I've heard of that.

That's the first that anyone (except KEGster, obviously) has heard of it.
I'm hearing too many excuses for Jenkins! When a practice squad player who's 5'8" gets a play and you still don't, plus you don't even suit up for the majority of the YEAR, AND you're a first round draft choice? C'mon, it doesn't take a genius to figure this guy is a huge disappointment to the coaching staff and not what they were hoping for. Whether he develops into something resembling a justification of that choice remains to be seen, but so far, no good! I'd bet that had he not been such a high draft choice, he would not have even made the team!
What really pisses me off as well about taking Jenkins with our #1 pick is that the 49ers had all of Martin Hill Randle Wilson & Fleener in for pre draft workouts and still couldn't get it right.

Oh well Baalke & Harbaugh prove they human too. But better learn from mistakes can't keep screwing up with our #1 picks.

Bring back Moss next year as WR or coach and trade with Jets for Stephen Hill. Let Hill learn from Moss.

Raw skill sets > Colin Kaepernick > Stephen Hill

And toss out Luck and RG3 Martin and Wilson are NFL ROY candidates.

Sanchez & Tebow > free Stephen Hill
[ Edited by SkyGod on Jan 23, 2013 at 6:23 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I'm hearing too many excuses for Jenkins! When a practice squad player who's 5'8" gets a play and you still don't, plus you don't even suit up for the majority of the YEAR, AND you're a first round draft choice? C'mon, it doesn't take a genius to figure this guy is a huge disappointment to the coaching staff and not what they were hoping for. Whether he develops into something resembling a justification of that choice remains to be seen, but so far, no good! I'd bet that had he not been such a high draft choice, he would not have even made the team!
you have said nothing wrong. the guy has had 20 plus weeks of practice but can not beat out chad hall?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
That's the first that anyone (except KEGster, obviously) has heard of it.

"It was Jenkins' second rep in one-on-one drills against cornerback Perrish Cox. In their first battle, Jenkins caught a short pass for a small gain. Jenkins has been doing a lot of this the last few practices – catching short passes in front of defenders who have given him too much space at the line of scrimmage.

Jenkins' second rep visibly frustrated coach Johnnie Morton, who wanted the young receiver to run a deep route but threw his hat in disgust and dressed the receiver down in front of the media when Jenkins cut off his route, turned to face the quarterback and looked for a short pass instead."

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/08/inside-the-49ers/a-j-jenkins-frustrates-coach-in-practice/

I didn't say he has an attitude problem in the sense of being a brat or jerk. He has struggled to show the attitude needed to be a player in the Professional Football League. Case in point: We didn't draft you in the 1st Round to run 5 yard routes
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone