LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Not much room for any rookie to crack top 46 gameday players(CSNBayArea Article)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Tight ends (3)Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker and Nate Byham.

...they spelled Fleener wrong. Hehe
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Genius1310:

Many niner fans are gonna be sad when we pass on Fleener.
Originally posted by susweel:

Yeah, I really will be upset if I hear his name called and its not us. I've been on both sides of tne fence on this, but at the end of the day, big targets are Alex Smiths friend and then I keep coming back to the Orange bowl in 2011 when Standard straight smoked the f**k out of Virginia Tech with their tight ends. Harbaugh was a mastermind. When they ansered with this, he went with that; any the Hokies had no clue.

That's who we can be... ...with Alex Smith.
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
We need to draft 2 safeties.

This

I take two safeties in my mock, but so far eveeryone that has commented has told me that we dont need two safeties. I agree we need to add two more safeties. I also think the only locks at WR are Ginn, who wont even get on the field at WR, and manningham. Everyone else will have to earn their spots.

Also Walker is a HB. We can deffinately upgrade the backup TE possition.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Apr 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM ]
While I agree that our talent level is high enough that it will be difficult for rookies to stick with the team, it needs to be said that salary cap implications suggest that you need to keep a significant number of rookies on the team.

By tying up a number of starters and future starters with their modest rookie contracts (usually three years in length) you are then allowed to pay your superstars enough to keep them on the team and not lose them to free agency. Therefore, no matter what the talent level of your team, you need to keep adding a significant number of promising rookies to the team each year.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Yeah, I really will be upset if I hear his name called and its not us. I've been on both sides of tne fence on this, but at the end of the day, big targets are Alex Smiths friend and then I keep coming back to the Orange bowl in 2011 when Standard straight smoked the f**k out of Virginia Tech with their tight ends. Harbaugh was a mastermind. When they ansered with this, he went with that; any the Hokies had no clue.

That's who we can be... ...with Alex Smith.

Me personally I would not draft a TE that high when we already have VD and DW.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by andes14:
Ya this is why I think there's zero chance we take a WR with our first few picks (assuming Moss makes the team which I think is a safe assumption). How the hell could you have either him, Crab, or Manningham not dress? It's impossible.

Randy moss is anything but a "safe assumption". Played horrible with 3 different teams in 2010, then TOOK A YEAR OFF. Totally a safe bet...
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
and why is that? jacobs is only guarranted 140k.......dixon always looks good in preseason...he looked good last year, hunter played great however....i don't see jacobs playing great, especially playing behind our second string unit......if jacobs just plays good, then i don't think that would be enough for him to get a roster spot, unless he plays better than dixon on special teams.......to which i don't even think he has sp teams experience

Dixon looked good last year? Honestly my ideal situation is that we draft a runningback and end up cutting both Dixon and Jacobs

Here is what I think they intend to do. If Jacobs shows some stuff then cut Dixon. If Jacobs doesn't, keep Dixon cut Jacobs. Draft a RB early in the next draft to be Frank's eventual replacement. At that point you either dont resign Jacobs or cut Dixon.

Walkers gone next year, unless he resigns cheap to play ST and #3 TE, which would be a dream come true.
Other than Zeitler, name any first rounder in our reachable drafting area that would give any significant production to our roster, THIS YEAR, either offense or defense??

The only player you can call out is Fleener. There is no other player that can contribute other than a guard at 30.

Locically, the pick has to be Fleener if we don't go interior olineman.

So few spots open on active roster.

That's why we're moving up and gettin Decastro.... duh.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Other than Zeitler, name any first rounder in our reachable drafting area that would give any significant production to our roster, THIS YEAR, either offense or defense??

The only player you can call out is Fleener. There is no other player that can contribute other than a guard at 30.

Locically, the pick has to be Fleener if we don't go interior olineman.

Agreed. Guard isn't a sexy pick but is the only real hole we have.

Fleener would be nice weapon for Smith and would be more pro-ready than any WR we can draft at 30. I also don't mind a pass rusher/OLB too because you can't have too many of those and right now, we really only have three and I barely count Haralson as one.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Trade 30 for a first next year

Walkers gone next year, unless he resigns cheap to play ST and #3 TE, which would be a dream come true.

Yes, you're assuming we will have his replacement then?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
so do you think we would be better off if we took a safety high and then got a tight end late or do you really care if we take a tight end at all? Just trying to get inside your mind Plus while I am a fleener fan it is good to hear other options from good posters
Share 49ersWebzone