LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

Identity Crisis in the works?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Does anyone think we may be headed towards an identity crisis this year? If we draft fleener (which I want) at 30 or hill or any other offensive weapon that we may be gearing towards more of a pass attack; we did last season when gore got hurt. But then we sign Jacobs and we have frank hunter and maybe Dixon and that will entice us to want to run more. I say we stick to the run and pass secondary. Problems like these cause concern for good teams like identity crisis or in house drama, if we come up short this yr I think it'll be because we don't know if we want to pass or run more, harbaugh will have his hands full with offensive personnel. Thoughts?
Originally posted by BigTrez:
Does anyone think we may be headed towards an identity crisis this year? If we draft fleener (which I want) at 30 or hill or any other offensive weapon that we may be gearing towards more of a pass attack; we did last season when gore got hurt. But then we sign Jacobs and we have frank hunter and maybe Dixon and that will entice us to want to run more. I say we stick to the run and pass secondary. Problems like these cause concern for good teams like identity crisis or in house drama, if we come up short this yr I think it'll be because we don't know if we want to pass or run more, harbaugh will have his hands full with offensive personnel. Thoughts?

Please stop.
Even If Frank Hunter
I don't think so.

This league is a passing league, but the reason we're so successful is because we can RUN the ball and are a physical team. Teams aren't geared to stop the running game as well as they used to. If we draft Fleener, especially, we still maintain a two tight-end set and can both run and pass out of that formation.

Meanwhile, if we draft a wide receiver, I don't see that guy displacing Moss, Manningham, or Crabtree this year (unless there's an injury). He's meant to be a project player that would replace Moss next season.

We're not going to have an identity crisis. It's not like the early 2000s when half the offense wanted to run the ball with Garrison Hearst and Charlie Garner while the other half wanted to throw it to Terrell Owens.

We're going to be a run-first team that throws the ball to 2 TEs, a possession WR, uses its runningbacks to block, and has a deep threat WR off the Play-Action.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Apr 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM ]
No worries. Lotta good stuff going on in San Fran.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
So If we want to be a run first offence we have to have bad WR's? We can still be run first with good WR's or better yet, be balanced.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Even If Frank Hunter

I wonder if Alex Kaepernick is going to be able to take the job away from Colin Smith? Either way it doesn't matter with Frank Hunter in the backfield.
identity crisis because we can actually have a passing game? i hate the offseason...
identity crisis?
santa clara 49ers?

shaun hill > alex smith
Originally posted by RonMexico:
cody pickett > shaun hill > alex smith

fixed
alex smith > jesus christ
amen?
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Please stop.

this
Share 49ersWebzone