There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does our offense *really* need a vertical threat?

• fan49
  • Veteran
it opens up so much for the offense. plus hill can block well so a deep threat with blocking ability is exactly what we need
I don't care about our 3rd down stats.... how bout they just reduce 3rd downs completely. The packers have no problem following up a 1st down with another 1st down and then another and then a touchdown. Skip 3rd all together... lol
Originally posted by BayArea:
I don't care about our 3rd down stats.... how bout they just reduce 3rd downs completely. The packers have no problem following up a 1st down with another 1st down and then another and then a touchdown. Skip 3rd all together... lol

That was there demise in the playoffs
Whatever you want to call it, they need to get off the schneid & convert more 3rd downs, not punt so damn much. Spreading the field including some deep drops seems like an obvious cure. (not necessarily throwing on 3rd down I mean, but rather not being so limited in plays to where you are resulting in a lot more 3rd down situations)
[ Edited by djfullshred on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM ]
vertical threats are a must in every offense. they open up the run and make all the short passes more effective because of the threat of a long pass. VD would be a monster with a proven deep threat on the field
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Runs are factored into the stats of the other starting qbs as well. You can shine the turd all you want but in the end it still smells like poo.

I like that.

Runs may be factored in for all the other teams, but I'm willing to put money on us running more than the other teams on 3rd down.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
I like that.

Runs may be factored in for all the other teams, but I'm willing to put money on us running more than the other teams on 3rd down.

I second that... well any team that Tim Tebow isn't starting for anyway...
Originally posted by nflguy49:
with the coaching we had before JH, yea, thats a good argument

Alex had his worst 3rd down conversion rate ever in 2011. He was so pathetic on 3rd downs that even Tim frickin Tebow had a better 3rd down conversion rate!
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126: and thats why we have 2 new starting WR and looking to get more in the draft and before you bring up manning you have to remember 2 things 1. hes a future HOF qb 2. we tried to resign alex before we even went after manning #1 The Niners won 14 games last season and were a punt returner's fumble away from the Superbowl. You think a team in that position tries to sign a new starting qb if their current starter is viewed as an integral part of their winning formula? Gimme a break. If Manning had signed with the Titans it would probably be Hassleback starting for the Niners next season. Sf gave Alex a low ball offer because they know he has no value as a starter around the league and minimal value for the Niners. They tried to upgrade the position but it didn't work out. So they allow Alex to come back on what is essentially a one year deal with no signing bonus. SF can release Alex after the 2012 season and would owe him only 1 million bucks (chump change in the NFL). #2 Alex re-signed with the Niners because he had no other options. If Alex was anything close to what some of his biggest boosters believe then there would have been a line of teams just waiting to throw money at him in free agency. Instead the Dolphins kicked the tires on him after their first two choices turned them down but still didn't offer him a contract. The Seahawks cancelled his flight and decided to sign another qb instead. #3 Lucky for the Niners we have Harbaugh and I have faith he will find a replacement for Alex soon.

Just watch. Smith put up better numbers than Brady's first superbowl year. Brady became superbowl MVP with numbers not unlike Smith's numbers week in and week out this season.

Walsh said, "The first year we will teach the players the system, the second year we will develop their skills within the system." JH said basically the same thing.

Just watch.
Just watch. Smith put up better numbers than Brady's first superbowl year. Brady became superbowl MVP with numbers not unlike Smith's numbers week in and week out this season.

Walsh said, "The first year we will teach the players the system, the second year we will develop their skills within the system." JH said basically the same thing.

Just watch.

We will see that would be sweet. I am going to bookmark this thread just in case some of the comments end up being prophetic.

I saw a guys comment on youtube from the end of 2010 that said Alex would have his best year ever in 2011 and that they would make the playoffs.

For my prediction I say the 49ers play the Steelers in the superbowl and win it 21-10 in 2013.
Originally posted by BayArea:
We will see that would be sweet. I am going to bookmark this thread just in case some of the comments end up being prophetic.

I saw a guys comment on youtube from the end of 2010 that said Alex would have his best year ever in 2011 and that they would make the playoffs.

For my prediction I say the 49ers play the Steelers in the superbowl and win it 21-10 in 2013.

steelers? they are on the decline dont see that happening
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
steelers? they are on the decline dont see that happening

yeah I know but I didn't see the Giants getting anywhere near the superbowl last year either so who knows.

It never seems to be the obvious pick so thought I would take a shot in the dark.
This will be the first season the team has all the pieces of the puzzle. A legit #1 in Moss, which will open up crabs, manningham, VD, and DWalk. Opposing defenses can no longer stack the box, which will open up the run... Smith finally knows a friggin playbook and has a coaching staff who understands how to coach players.

I see Smith putting up 4000+ yds, 25 TDs, ~10 INTs.

I see Gore rushing for 1400 yds, Hunter rushing for 700, and Jacobs beasting up short yardage and goalline.

VD makes pro bowl, walker gets about 500 all purpose yds.

Crabs puts up ~800 yds, Moss about the same. Manningham comes in about 500.

Edit: Gonna be nasty. So excited to be back in the bay area AND have season tix! Speaking of prophecies, I was the first to call for Moss. When Morgan and Braylon went down, I was on the forum (facebook login) calling for Moss, everyone else was calling for TO.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:07 PM ]