There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will Crabtree ever be this good?

Originally posted by NextofKIN:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Oh u just went there.

Truth.

naughty boy............maybe he's better with his 2nd year in the same O?
I'm pretty sure one of the reasons people on here hate on Crabtree is cause they need to believe he sucks to continue being an Alex homer. A WR can only be as good as a QB takes them.
Originally posted by hateroids84:
I'm pretty sure one of the reasons people on here hate on Crabtree is cause they need to believe he sucks to continue being an Alex homer. A WR can only be as good as a QB takes them.

Yea cause Fitzgerald just sucked last year....

And VD didnt have 4 TD's in the playoffs....

Crabtree is a bust. The sooner fans realize this the better. He can put up good numbers against the rams, but thats about it.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Put me down in the doubters column.

I've been a fairly harsh critic of Crabtree's, but I'm willing to admit that he's something of an enigma on at least two counts. First, although I'm increasingly of the mind that he's just plain work shy, I understand that his feet may be holding him back from training at the appropriate level. Second, his personality isn't doing him any good. I get that he's introverted, but too often this comes across as sullen and leaves you with the distinct impression that he doesn't have much in the way of motivation--let alone a proper killer instinct. Does his personality really matter? Not really, provided he performs and it doesn't become a problem in the locker room (which it isn't). But as things currently stand, his personality isn't doing him any favors and does a lot to amplify impressions that he's laughing his way to the bank while lazily cruising through (and pissing away) his career.

At any rate, he wears DBs like Luke wore Yoda and simply isn't getting it done at a level commensurate with his draft position and pay grade. And that leads me to the conclusion that he's either damaged goods physically, or damaged goods between the ears--more likely the latter, as things now stand. Unfortunately, because he's been so slow to improve, there's a fair chance that he may reach the end of his contract and leave us with the impression that he's the second coming of Dana Stubblefield, and that'll make for a real fiasco on this board.
This just says it all. Crabs isn't doing himself any favors with his personality (which leads to his attitude and work ethic). Crabs needs to understand that Mike Singletary isn't the coach anymore. Jim H. isn't gonna let Crab's potential get him fired. I'm not in his shoes, but at some point he is going to have to realize he's an NFL pro and at this level everyone plays with injuries. Bottom line, he is gonna have to get himself together and get on board while . Because I get the distinct impression that JH & Co. won't long suffer slackers who just does the bare minimum required or who won't put in the extra work needed for this team to excel (see Shawntae Spencer, a guy I liked).

Originally posted by prime21:
The WR position tends to take 3-4 years to develop, I think Crabtree is a little behind considering all the hype surrounding his position in the draft but that should be attributed to the atrocious offenses he's been a part of his first few years in the league. Crabtree is still very young according to the NFL standard. I think it's a great idea to surround him with proven talent and give him achance to advance his game. He is still maturing and I do believe he can become a top 10 WR league wide. I just hope we dont give up on him like we did with Antonio Bryant or Brandon Lloyd who went on to have multiple 1000 yd seasons with other teams.

Surround him with talent? What is he, the QB? The major thing holding Crabs back is Crabs. He was a top 10 pick for God sack. If the coaching staff gotta put diapers on him and bring in players to get him to show his potential then he wasn't worth the pick in the first place and we need to move on while we're ahead.
I think Crabtree development is comparable to VD. Vernon was drafted in 2006. We saw signs of big play ability but really inconsistent. It wasn't until 2009 in the Houston game with Alex Smith coming in the second half that we saw the VD that we have been seeing today. That was about 3 years. Crabtree was drafted in 2009, so hopefully we see the realized potential of Crabtree in 2012. Alex Smith will be directly responsible for the emergent of another top weapon on offense.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think Crabtree development is comparable to VD. Vernon was drafted in 2006. We saw signs of big play ability but really inconsistent. It wasn't until 2009 in the Houston game with Alex Smith coming in the second half that we saw the VD that we have been seeing today. That was about 3 years. Crabtree was drafted in 2009, so hopefully we see the realized potential of Crabtree in 2012. Alex Smith will be directly responsible for the emergent of another top weapon on offense.

Vernon wasn't lacking in physical skill. Sure he has stone hands occasionally but he can destroy a defense and get away from people....Crabs does not do that. The only guy he "beat up" was Peterson who was a rookie, and a street FA in St Louis.

If he comes into camp "injured" again I am done with him 100%.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
First, he had his best season last year and has noticeably improved his blocking skills. As Alex improved so did Crabs.

Next, he is slow and appears to be lazy. He did not get any seperation in the Giants playoff game and wasn't double teamed. Not impressive for a #10 pick.

Third, I really want him to succeed BUT he hasn't shown ANYTHING to prove he is a #1 WR. Just because he's the best receiver we have doesn't mean he's a #1 WR level. Just cause a guy can swim doesn't mean he's a good swimmer.

Hopefully he'll prove me wrong - I really hope he becomes the player we all thought he could be.

According the some articles I read Crabtree was doubled during the Giants game. I recall Harbaugh actually pointing it out.
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Vasco49er:
Crabtree is very unappreciated by 49er fans. It almost seems like some people don't want to see him succeed. He is already a good WR and his best is yet to come.

A record long rookie holdout will do that. Not to mention that he has yet to take part in a training camp. When you start every season like that it makes it hard to succeed. Add it all up and you got a underperforming, underachieving, below average #1 WR. I really do wish he gets his act together because I do believe he can be very good WR, but in my mind I believe he is just collecting paychecks until he becomes a FA and signs with Dallas.
He has improved every year

That's somewhat debatable. I do agree that his receptions and yards have gone up each year. His Avg and TD's were down this year. For what its worth his 1st down percentage and YAC avg were also down this year. Watching him as a rookie and watching him this year, didn't see a big difference or major improvement in any single area and I attribute that directly to not working as hard as everyone else before each season.

Several items keep me from being critical:

1) injuries have kept him from participating in many practices--very bad for a young player's development.
2) Absence of a vertical threat, with Morgan and Edwards injured and Williams and Ginn not up to speed no one was able to take pressure off except for VD.
3) New offense that it took VD 1/2 a year to get, don't imagine Crabtree is putting in more time than VD, but he played fairly well last year after a shaky start.

Areas of concern are--even though he improved statistically last year he seemed to disappear at crunch time. Not in sync with Smith? Or afraid to make a mistake because he did not have the offense down? Whatever, he just wasn't able to take it to another level for the playoffs.

Next year he could be sharing the field with Moss, Manningham, Williams and a very good rookie. That will be a huge upgrade if all works out. Smith may feel like a kid at Christmas!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM ]
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
First, he had his best season last year and has noticeably improved his blocking skills. As Alex improved so did Crabs.

Next, he is slow and appears to be lazy. He did not get any seperation in the Giants playoff game and wasn't double teamed. Not impressive for a #10 pick.

Third, I really want him to succeed BUT he hasn't shown ANYTHING to prove he is a #1 WR. Just because he's the best receiver we have doesn't mean he's a #1 WR level. Just cause a guy can swim doesn't mean he's a good swimmer.

Hopefully he'll prove me wrong - I really hope he becomes the player we all thought he could be.

According the some articles I read Crabtree was doubled during the Giants game. I recall Harbaugh actually pointing it out.

Untrue. Actually the majority of the game he was shut down 1v1 by the giants third CB.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Vasco49er:
Crabtree is very unappreciated by 49er fans. It almost seems like some people don't want to see him succeed. He is already a good WR and his best is yet to come.

A record long rookie holdout will do that. Not to mention that he has yet to take part in a training camp. When you start every season like that it makes it hard to succeed. Add it all up and you got a underperforming, underachieving, below average #1 WR. I really do wish he gets his act together because I do believe he can be very good WR, but in my mind I believe he is just collecting paychecks until he becomes a FA and signs with Dallas.
He has improved every year

That's somewhat debatable. I do agree that his receptions and yards have gone up each year. His Avg and TD's were down this year. For what its worth his 1st down percentage and YAC avg were also down this year. Watching him as a rookie and watching him this year, didn't see a big difference or major improvement in any single area and I attribute that directly to not working as hard as everyone else before each season.

Several items keep me from being critical:

1) injuries have kept him from participating in many practices--very bad for a young player's development.
2) Absence of a vertical threat, with Morgan and Edwards injured and Williams and Ginn not up to speed no one was able to take pressure off except for VD.
3) New offense that it took VD 1/2 a year to get, don't imagine Crabtree is putting in more time than VD, but he played fairly well last year after a shaky start.

Areas of concern are--even though he improved statistically last year he seemed to disappear at crunch time. Not in sync with Smith? Or afraid to make a mistake because he did not have the offense down? Whatever, he just wasn't able to take it to another level for the playoffs.

Next year he could be sharing the field with Moss, Manningham, Williams and a very good rookie. That might be a huge upgrade if all works out. Smith may feel like a kid at Christmas!

Im sick of hearing how he needs more weapons around him. He has had a top 5 receiving TE and a top 5 RB on the offense since he was drafted. What more does a supposed #1 WR need to succeed? A good WR doesnt need another WR of equal or better talent opposite of him to show his skills.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:
He's definitely the best receiver we have had in a long time. Im pretty sure all of the hate he receives is still because of his original hold out.

Not everyone thinks this is a good sign.

"Here's how you judge the talent level of the 49ers: When Michael Crabtree is your top wideout, you're not very good at that position. When he's your third-best wideout (like he is now), then things are better. I admit, I thought he was going to be the next Keyshawn Johnson, but instead he goes weeks without impacting a game."

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d8283ad81/arian-foster-not-mark-sanchez-to-jets-in-2009-draft-redo/

Pretty harsh assessment of our best receiver.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Crabtree certainly hasn't been dominant... or even consistent, but he has shown me that he has potential. Yes, he choked in the playoffs, but after getting healthy last season he stepped up his game big time. I don't think he's ever going to be "elite", but I do think he has the ability to be a top 15 type of WR. That would be a true #1 WR in my books. Combine that with the other talent we already have on offense and (hopefully) some incoming talent from the draft and we could be dominant.

People are too hung up on "excuses". Just because someone gives a reason for a player's lack of production doesn't mean it is an invalid reason. Crabtree had a legitimate reason for struggling early last season. When he got healthy, he played much better. He choked big time against the Saints in the playoffs and that's on him, but it happens... no reason to give up on a guy. He also disappeared against the Giants... and people argue about it being Crabtree's inability to gain separation or they say Alex Smith's poor accuracy and reluctance to pull the trigger are the reason... personally, I think it could have been a combination of those factors, plus the fact that it was raining. It doesn't really matter, though. None of us knows for sure and we're all just giving our best guess.

The bottom line is, time will tell all. The story isn't written yet and we're all lucky to be able to watch it unfold. That's part of what makes football so great. So just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

Oh... and I don't think he looked much different in his college highlights than he has in the NFL. Just my opinion.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
As soon as he gets his ass to off-season programs remember he too has had to learn a new system every year and because he never attends off-season programs he's learning during games
Fun fact last 7 games he had some 520 yards. Or so average that to 16 game season that would be 1232 yards

I think once Crabtree cures the dropsies, he can be a pretty good WR. Some of the connections between Smith and Crabtree last year were quite impressive, like the one leading to the game winning FG against the Seahawks.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
He might be better for another team, when his contract is up he will be gone and I seriously doubt the Niners will put forth a huge effort to keep him.

My view as well.
He's done nothing but get better and better every single season. People are just throwing him under the bus because he doesn't have 120 catches for 1600 yards and 15 TDs...