There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will Crabtree ever be this good?

Was really, really high on this guy, even when he held-out I had faith he'd be the 'guy', but years later, foot-injury after foot-injury, missing camp, I just want him to go away, yet he's our ONLY #1 option right now (as it stands), which is sad.

-As I don't believe Crabs is a diva (like most idiots out of touch with the situation), I do believe Michael lacks 'true' heart, and that's something you need to be elite.

Crabs might be our #1, but you put this guy on any quality team and he's a solid #2. -Slow-ass possession receiver with bad timing skills in stride that can catch the ball wonderfully, but only does it 40% of the time when he can actually get into the right position to do it.
Originally posted by NextofKIN:
Would be nice if he didn't have jump or dive for almost every catch. He was getting hit in stride in the vid.

Oh u just went there.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
He might be better for another team, when his contract is up he will be gone and I seriously doubt the Niners will put forth a huge effort to keep him.

That depends ENTIRELY on how he does in the next two years.
The WR position tends to take 3-4 years to develop, I think Crabtree is a little behind considering all the hype surrounding his position in the draft but that should be attributed to the atrocious offenses he's been a part of his first few years in the league. Crabtree is still very young according to the NFL standard. I think it's a great idea to surround him with proven talent and give him achance to advance his game. He is still maturing and I do believe he can become a top 10 WR league wide. I just hope we dont give up on him like we did with Antonio Bryant or Brandon Lloyd who went on to have multiple 1000 yd seasons with other teams.
Crabtree had highlights?
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by Vasco49er:
Crabtree is very unappreciated by 49er fans. It almost seems like some people don't want to see him succeed. He is already a good WR and his best is yet to come.

A record long rookie holdout will do that. Not to mention that he has yet to take part in a training camp. When you start every season like that it makes it hard to succeed. Add it all up and you got a underperforming, underachieving, below average #1 WR. I really do wish he gets his act together because I do believe he can be very good WR, but in my mind I believe he is just collecting paychecks until he becomes a FA and signs with Dallas.
He has improved every year

That's somewhat debatable. I do agree that his receptions and yards have gone up each year. His Avg and TD's were down this year. For what its worth his 1st down percentage and YAC avg were also down this year. Watching him as a rookie and watching him this year, didn't see a big difference or major improvement in any single area and I attribute that directly to not working as hard as everyone else before each season.
He has a lot of pure talent but he lacks in one area and that is work ethic. If you don't practice you can never improve.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Oh u just went there.

Truth.
That's somewhat debatable. I do agree that his receptions and yards have gone up each year. His Avg and TD's were down this year. For what its worth his 1st down percentage and YAC avg were also down this year. Watching him as a rookie and watching him this year, didn't see a big difference or major improvement in any single area and I attribute that directly to not working as hard as everyone else before each season.

agreed

You always here stories of the great WR consistently working with there QB. God even a bum like santonio Holmes has gone out in the off-season and working with Sanchez and they can't stand each other. Why can't we see this from Crabtree.
Put me down in the doubters column.

I've been a fairly harsh critic of Crabtree's, but I'm willing to admit that he's something of an enigma on at least two counts. First, although I'm increasingly of the mind that he's just plain work shy, I understand that his feet may be holding him back from training at the appropriate level. Second, his personality isn't doing him any good. I get that he's introverted, but too often this comes across as sullen and leaves you with the distinct impression that he doesn't have much in the way of motivation--let alone a proper killer instinct. Does his personality really matter? Not really, provided he performs and it doesn't become a problem in the locker room (which it isn't). But as things currently stand, his personality isn't doing him any favors and does a lot to amplify impressions that he's laughing his way to the bank while lazily cruising through (and pissing away) his career.

At any rate, he wears DBs like Luke wore Yoda and simply isn't getting it done at a level commensurate with his draft position and pay grade. And that leads me to the conclusion that he's either damaged goods physically, or damaged goods between the ears--more likely the latter, as things now stand. Unfortunately, because he's been so slow to improve, there's a fair chance that he may reach the end of his contract and leave us with the impression that he's the second coming of Dana Stubblefield, and that'll make for a real fiasco on this board.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i think alot of it has to do with what many percieve to be a poor work ethic, seems not to work hard in the off season and drops balls when they hit him in the chest.i really have forgotten about the hold out cuz that is just football, It has been what he has done or not done since then that bothers me

It's one thing for a holdout based on a player not being paid what he has proved he is worth. It's another thing when some punk comes into the NFL having proven nothing, and demanding more money because he is upset some team didn't agree that he was the best WR in the draft. That is nothing but pompous arrogance - worse than TO ever was. (And TO more than backed up his arrogance on the field)

Going into that draft, I wanted Brian Orakpo. During the draft when everyone got so excited that Crabtree "fell" to us, I still wanted Orakpo. Three years later...*sigh*...still wishing we had taken Orakpo!
Originally posted by RDB4216:
It's one thing for a holdout based on a player not being paid what he has proved he is worth. It's another thing when some punk comes into the NFL having proven nothing, and demanding more money because he is upset some team didn't agree that he was the best WR in the draft. That is nothing but pompous arrogance - worse than TO ever was. (And TO more than backed up his arrogance on the field)

Going into that draft, I wanted Brian Orakpo. During the draft when everyone got so excited that Crabtree "fell" to us, I still wanted Orakpo. Three years later...*sigh*...still wishing we had taken Orakpo!

TO also backed it up with his consistent work ethic.
it just keeps getting worse and worse...
I was excited when the 49ers drafted him. After that, whether because of injuries, cruddy offense or his lack of effort, I have become disenchanted with him. If the 49ers wanted a deep threat, which it looks like now they do, they should have drafted Bey. Are the 49ers trying to go that route now?