LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Will Crabtree ever be this good?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
10. San Francisco 49ers Actual Pick: Michael Crabtree, WR Do-Over Pick: Percy Harvin, WR

Here's how you judge the talent level of the 49ers: When Michael Crabtree is your top wideout, you're not very good at that position. When he's your third-best wideout (like he is now), then things are better. I admit, I thought he was going to be the next Keyshawn Johnson, but instead he goes weeks without impacting a game. If San Francisco could do it again, Harvin is the selection. The Niners could have gotten him the ball in so many different ways. He would have been another security blanket for Alex Smith -- in addition to Vernon Davis -- and Smith might be better than he is now. Harvin is starting to become an absolute nightmare for opposing coaches because he's getting consistent. There might not have been a better wideout the final six weeks of 2011.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8283ad81/article/arian-foster-not-mark-sanchez-to-jets-in-2009-draft-redo?module=HP11_content_stream
He will be good, I have a feeling that Crab will break out this season. I didn't notice passing offense opening up until the post-season. Once the Offense start passing the ball 35+ times then he'll have his chance to shine.
  • dj43
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
NFL.com posted an article today that stated that the 2009 Draft might be the worst overall draft in NFL history. It
has produced few Pro Bowlers. The author also believes that Crabtree is no more than a number 3 receiver. It's a great article but I'm not sure how to post the link. I think he's a number two WR personally.

i agree. he is a two, not a one and jesus christ could be throwing him the ball but he is not destined to be a number one wide out. If he is on the team this year i believe he will get outplayed by our two free agents we signed and i believe he will get outplayed by a rookie that we will draft. If that happens he will not be on the team in the future

I agree that he looks more like a #2 than a #1. I will add, however, that a good part of that is due to lack of practice time, some of that self-imposed.

Your last sentence brings up an interesting point: Crabtree is a very proud, vain guy (200 pair of shoes!) who wants to be seen as the best. Given serious competition for the spotlight by Moss (dare we dream?) and Manningham, plus an expected high rookie, will Crabtree be driven to a much higher level in his quest for that spotlight?

A point worth watching as OTAs and TC roll around.

I hope the guy turns out to be at least a very good #2. I would hate to see the #10 overall pick be anything less, especially considering how good some of the guys have become who were drafted after him.
I think Crabtree is better than a lot of you are giving him credit for. He has had bad luck with the injuries but was still very productive this year. He hasn't had the benefit of a passing focused offensive system. And he hasn't had the benefit of off-season workouts. Therefore, I think he has been a little slow to come up to speed in the NFL.

Will he ever be a dominant #1 WR? I don't think so. But I think he has just barely started to realize his potential. Put another quality WR on the field with him and they will both be very productive.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
I agree that he looks more like a #2 than a #1. I will add, however, that a good part of that is due to lack of practice time, some of that self-imposed.

Your last sentence brings up an interesting point: Crabtree is a very proud, vain guy (200 pair of shoes!) who wants to be seen as the best. Given serious competition for the spotlight by Moss (dare we dream?) and Manningham, plus an expected high rookie, will Crabtree be driven to a much higher level in his quest for that spotlight?

A point worth watching as OTAs and TC roll around.

I hope the guy turns out to be at least a very good #2. I would hate to see the #10 overall pick be anything less, especially considering how good some of the guys have become who were drafted after him.
great post. i agree to and i do not want people thinking i am rooting for him to fail (there is a very evil side of me that wants to say , :unlike alex smith haters", but i will not go down that road),. i want him to be good, given the fact he was a top pick. if he is good that is good for the team and that is all that matters. You are right, maybe, hopefully the moves they made so far and the rookie(mcnutt ) they will draft will give him the needed kick in the ass, provided the coaches do not kick him in the ass first
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Was looking through youtube to see Crabtree's college highlights and I can't believe that he was this dominant at TT. I think he has shown flashes in the pros and is still a young player. How come so many fans have given up on this guy, yet other players are given way more than 3 years to prove themselves ( Alex ). Crabtree has also been victim to the s**tty offensive systems under Raye and also has been dealing with injuries throughout his career. He was gradually improving throughout the regular season and I believe that he has what it takes to take it to the next level.

Notice how he looks A LOT faster back then??

He isn't very fast. Remeber, compared to the NFL, many of those defenders are pretty slow.

Given a full offseason in this system, and OTAs + Training Camp, I think we will see even more improvement for both Alex and Crabtree. If they can develop some chemistry together and get it clicking on the field. Watch out!

He's fast enough. Looks like he has enough speed here:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82597761/Crabtree-28-yard-TD-catch
Originally posted by blm7754:
I think Crabtree is better than a lot of you are giving him credit for. He has had bad luck with the injuries but was still very productive this year. He hasn't had the benefit of a passing focused offensive system. And he hasn't had the benefit of off-season workouts. Therefore, I think he has been a little slow to come up to speed in the NFL.

Will he ever be a dominant #1 WR? I don't think so. But I think he has just barely started to realize his potential. Put another quality WR on the field with him and they will both be very productive.

I agree. Yeah he's slow but if he was utilized the way Wes Welker(Who's also slow) is he could be very good.
if he is our #3 at the end of the year, he won't be here the following year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
if he is our #3 at the end of the year, he won't be here the following year.
agree. And i still maintain that he is on a short leash this off season with the coaches, just a hunch
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
NFL is a whole different ballgame.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
NFL is a whole different ballgame.

And Crabs has improved each and every year. He also has better production per thrown to than most WRs in the league.
the most frustrating part about crabtree is that his best quality is supposed to be his great hands, but he consistently drops very catchable passes.....WTF
Originally posted by zoomcrypt:
the most frustrating part about crabtree is that his best quality is supposed to be his great hands, but he consistently drops very catchable passes.....WTF

He had one bad game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
He had one bad game.
just like alex
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by zoomcrypt:

He had one bad game.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/23/drop-percentage/
read em' and weep....one of the worst at catching the ball in NFL last year. TO was notorious for dropping lots of passes as well, but he would make up for it with a couple crazy YAC plays every game.
Share 49ersWebzone