There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vic Fangio's second year defenses and beyond

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
And somehow Fangio's defense got us to within 5 yards of winning the super bowl. I will take that defense next year as well.

Disagree. We score, and Baltimore has 3 timeouts to march down the field. If we didn't get 8 they would only need a FG to win. Would you trust Fangio's defense to hold that day? I wouldn't.
our defense is over-rated, period. Didn't show up in the biggest game of the year.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
our defense is over-rated, period. Didn't show up in the biggest game of the year.

Disagree about the whole defense being overrated. The secondary is overrated. 3 out of 4 starters are current or former pro-bowlers, and they get toasted like that? Something is wrong here. I know our pass-rush diminished late in the year, but still no excuse for how awful they were. Whitner got exposed, especially in the redzone, and Culliver looked overwhelmed.

I thought Willis, Bowman, Brooks, and Brown definitely showed up. They played their asses off and made some nice plays. Aldon and Justin played injured and did what they could.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

Disagree about the whole defense being overrated. The secondary is overrated. 3 out of 4 starters are current or former pro-bowlers, and they get toasted like that? Something is wrong here. I know our pass-rush diminished late in the year, but still no excuse for how awful they were. Whitner got exposed, especially in the redzone, and Culliver looked overwhelmed.

I thought Willis, Bowman, Brooks, and Brown definitely showed up. They played their asses off and made some nice plays. Aldon and Justin played injured and did what they could.

thats what boggles my mind, we have 6 probowlers plus 1 probowl alternate on defense and we gave up 34 points in the SB.
if you told me before the SB game we are giving up 34 points, I would probably tell u we lose the game.
And somehow Fangio's defense got us to within 5 yards of winning the super bowl. I will take that defense next year as well.

No dude; the offense got us there. Try not to confuse the two.

Wrong. The D had problems since new England. With our personnel, it's pretty strange. The lack of pass rush since November really put our secondary in harms way. Competent, experienced qbs throwing to decent skill lit us up. We couldn't get physical with the qb, and we couldn't defend on target throws.

Lack of pass rush was an issue that coaching was very slow to recognize imo and deal with. It's too bad this discussion is happening after the SB loss. The warning signes were in front of everyones nose against New England, Atlanta, Seattle, Green Bay. What -- 2 sacks against Arizona, worst in the league at protecting the QB? Can you spell u-n-d-e-r-p-e-r-f-o-r-m?

Very little ingenuity, very little smoke and mirrors to compensate for this critical weakness.

On prior SF super bowl champions, the D always overperformed. We had the opposite this year. Very little rotation all year long put the hurt on several performers who couldn't really come through late in the season. No solutions from staff.

I think the secondary is taking too much heat. If the QB has unrestricted time to throw to good skill in a mature scheme, the league rules are slanted such that they will (almost always) produce. Can't expect the back field to blanket WR's for 4, 5 seconds. Just too much these days.
Justin Smith with one arm = Aldon Smith no sacks little pressure.
No pressure = Failed D backfield

They still made it to the Super Bowl = over reactions
I'm so pissed at most of the defense (Willis, Bowman, a few other excluded). All they had to do was not completely suck and they would have won. Didn't have to play good, could have been kind of bad. But they completely sucked. No pass rush. Terrible secondary play. Suck.
  • rum53
  • Veteran
The failures of the defense lies on the teams defensive philosophy. The team has no rotation so 11 players end up playing over 90% of the snaps. We essentially had the same 11 starters the past two seasons. Our players wore down at the end of the season.

The coaches have to do a better job of rotating players throughout the regular season and accept the drop off in play at times when reserves are playing. This will be much easier to tolerate with an explosive offense that can put up 30 points a game. The ultimate goal is to have our best defenders playing at their highest level come playoffs.
We dug our defense in a hole early. First possession was a 3 and out that gave them the ball on the 50. Later on we were driving down trying to take the lead and fumble, possession after that and an interception in our territory.
We'll be fine next year if Alcon n Justin stay healthy
Originally posted by sachie23:
I'm so pissed at most of the defense (Willis, Bowman, a few other excluded). All they had to do was not completely suck and they would have won. Didn't have to play good, could have been kind of bad. But they completely sucked. No pass rush. Terrible secondary play. Suck.

Actually, the pass rush was there on some of Flacco's big plays but the dude slipped out of our hands, throws up a few prayers and they were answered. Aside from the power outage, Ravens had everything going there way.

People saying the power outage helped our momentum need to rewatch the game. Our offense was driving down BAL's throats nearly every drive before the outage. We just made the dumb mistakes, a kick-off return, and those prayers by Flacco.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Actually, the pass rush was there on some of Flacco's big plays but the dude slipped out of our hands, throws up a few prayers and they were answered. Aside from the power outage, Ravens had everything going there way.

People saying the power outage helped our momentum need to rewatch the game. Our offense was driving down BAL's throats nearly every drive before the outage. We just made the dumb mistakes, a kick-off return, and those prayers by Flacco.

They weren't just prayers. The receiver out-aggressed Cully to the ball. Our speedy pass rushers could not chase down 6'5 inch Mr Mobility Joe Flacco. The prayers should never have been launched and could have been better defended.
Originally posted by sachie23:

I agree. Our offense executed well, for the most part, with the exception of the fumble and interception. Those two turnovers unfortunately led to 14 points. I just don't understand how the defense allowed Flacco to slip away so many times. He's not that mobile and our linebackers should be able to run him down without a problem. We got pressure, we just didn't finish the plays.

My main concern is how the defense came out flat in the first halves of the Atlanta game and during the Super Bowl. This needs to be fixed ASAP. With our offense and defense, we should be burying other teams rather easily.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

They weren't just prayers. The receiver out-aggressed Cully to the ball. Our speedy pass rushers could not chase down 6'5 inch Mr Mobility Joe Flacco. The prayers should never have been launched and could have been better defended.

They were prayers. The receiver didn't outplay the DB before the ball was thrown. It was a prayer when the ball was thrown. The WR turned a prayer into a big play.