LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

Vic Fangio's second year defenses and beyond

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This was a concern when he was initially hired: every team he has been DC for has seen some kind of a drop off in production from year to year. The Niners have all their defensive starters returning this year which may make this team the exception, however, it's been proven that only a select few teams can have the same defensive consistency from one year to the next. Where do you think his defense will measure up this year and why?

'95 Panthers - 7th overall
'96 Panthers - 10th overall
'97 Panthers - 15th overall
'98 Panthers - 30th overall

'99 Colts - 15th overall
'00 Colts - 21st overall
'01 Colts - 29th overall

'02 Texans - 16th overall
'03 Texans - 31st overall
'04 Texans - 23rd overall

'11 49ers - 4th overall
'12 49ers - ?

They will be top 5 again. this defense has been a top 5 defense for several years, even without rogers, aldon, whitner, etc. They were just under achieving. Just needed a competent coach. The defense is stacked. The did not overacheive last year, based on coaching...the defense is just simply very talented, with young key players that will continue to get beter.
Anyone know his Stanford stats? He could have bucked the trend. I know its college but its a start, if he improved his craft at the college level before coming back into the NFL we could see a change.
He didn't get his horses back in that second year with other teams like he will have with us next year. Vic for the first time in his career since New Orleans, did not lose his guys to age or FA. Vic will get this defense to play wicked football next year. It's going to be fun to watch the defense.

Aldon Smith Holy sh*t! Can't wait!
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Yes, this has been discussed.

Fangio had to deal with serious lack of talent. On top of that, he was transitioning teams to a new defensive scheme. The only time he had talent was with the Panthers, but that defense was aging when he started and fell apart quickly. The rest of the teams he coached were pretty awful.

Also, don't underestimate the impact of Ed Donatell and Jim Tomsula. Those guys add incredible depth to our defensive coaching staff. I sincerely doubt that they have no input on the defensive scheme.

This defense is stacked in all areas. Top tier talent at every level of the defense, both players and coaches.

I doubt they have the same kind of success with turnovers next season, but I fully expect that the unit will be improved next season.
would like to see the rosters of those teams... maybe he lost some studs

as for the colts job, i don't take anything out of that job.. when peyton got there the colts ignored the defense and drafted players for the offense.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Anyone know his Stanford stats? He could have bucked the trend. I know its college but its a start, if he improved his craft at the college level before coming back into the NFL we could see a change.

His Stanford D was 1st overall in the Pac-12, an improvement from 9th overall from the year before.
BTW, with regards to turnovers....

People seem to forget:

GREEN BAY had as MANY takeaways as us during the regular season!

No one would equate them to having a D like our D, but it's interesting to put that in perspective when people just look at 49er defense as a turnover machine.

GB got all those turnovers because they put teams in bad situations. We got those turnovers through brute force D, and some luck I suppose.

Rarely did we have huge leads. And when we did get TOs, how often did we convert for TDs, let alone FGs?
Originally posted by NinerGod:
Originally posted by ace49ers:

His Stanford D was 1st overall in the Pac-12, an improvement from 9th overall from the year before.

An improving year coming up for the 49ers D. I can hear the opposition QBs shaking in their helmets.

Originally posted by Wodwo:
Yes, this has been discussed.

Fangio had to deal with serious lack of talent. On top of that, he was transitioning teams to a new defensive scheme. The only time he had talent was with the Panthers, but that defense was aging when he started and fell apart quickly. The rest of the teams he coached were pretty awful.

Also, don't underestimate the impact of Ed Donatell and Jim Tomsula. Those guys add incredible depth to our defensive coaching staff. I sincerely doubt that they have no input on the defensive scheme.

This defense is stacked in all areas. Top tier talent at every level of the defense, both players and coaches.

I doubt they have the same kind of success with turnovers next season, but I fully expect that the unit will be improved next season.

Good point. Not sure who his assistant coaches were those years.
[ Edited by NinerGod on Apr 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
BTW, with regards to turnovers....

People seem to forget:

GREEN BAY had as MANY takeaways as us during the regular season!

No one would equate them to having a D like our D, but it's interesting to put that in perspective when people just look at 49er defense as a turnover machine.

GB got all those turnovers because they put teams in bad situations. We got those turnovers through brute force D, and some luck I suppose.

Rarely did we have huge leads. And when we did get TOs, how often did we convert for TDs, let alone FGs?

I think the Greenbay D partly benefited from the other team trying to keep up with the scoring of the Greenbay offense. Consequently forcing the issue when they are stuck inside their own 20yds or forcing a TD inside the redzone. Our defense is just better on its own. Especially when they have a long field behind them, they jump all over the other team backed up close to the end zone. Then in the redzone they just stiffen up and clamped down with a compacted area. They bend but don't break in between the 20s. Would be remised if I don't mentioned the hard hitting that was evident all year to create those turnovers.
I expect Fangios defense to kill 2 or 3 opposing players this year.
safety depth is like the only soft spot....nice to be in such a position of luxury
It would be interesting to see how many of those other defenses remained intact after the first year. I don't imagine this defense will drop off much, they will be tested more this year though especially due to the caliber teams they will be facing.
Share 49ersWebzone