LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

matt miller's player rankings

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I can't argue with these rankings.

Justin Smith is the top 3-4 End in the NFL IMO. McDonald is also a top 15 DE at least, and is only gonna get better.

Willis/Bowman is the best ILB tandem on any 3-4 team.

Delanie is a top 20 TE also IMO, and I don't want to see him let go after 2012. Thats why I wouldn't draft fleener. Rather have the proven in Delanie.

Vernon is a top 5 TE at least, I would put Vernon over Tony Gonzalez, I also think he is better than Aaron Hernandez and Jason Witten. But both are hell of TE's.

Iupati is a top 5 Guard, I remember 2010 when we were on the clock, I was hoping for Iupati. It was between Pouncey or Iupati, but Pouncey went before Iupati. Would of been happy with either.

Akers and Lee are top 2 at their positions, need to lock up Lee soon, as he is a UFA after 2012.

Can't beat #6 CB for Rogers, some good ones above him, Nnamdi, Revis, Woodson and Haden.

Interested to see where Gore, Aldon and Brooks are at.

Pretty sure we took iupati before steelers could grab him, so they took pouncey
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Pretty sure we took iupati before steelers could grab him, so they took pouncey

indeed.
51. Haralson
30. Brooks
6. Aldon Smith
I thought the rankings were okay for the most part. I did not agree with Ahmad Brooks as only 30th overall. He should be higher. He grades him in the middle but says his impact is huge for the team.

"The San Francisco 49ers smartly locked up Ahmad Brooks in the offseason, securing their best all-around OLB with the team moving forward. Brooks has been underrated due to the stars around him, but his impact is huge."

B/R NFL 1,000: Top 64 Outside Linebackers
By Matt Miller
(Senior NFL Draft Lead Writer) on April 9, 20128,868 reads

Previous
36 of 66 Next

30. Ahmad Brooks, San Francisco 49ers

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

Agility8

Brooks has solid, upper level hip flexibility and quickness in space. A very good athlete.

Bull Rush4

Lacks the strength to run through blockers off the edge.

Speed Rush8

Brooks has the natural quickness to be effective in space, but he also brings good hand use to keep distance between himself and blockers.

Read & React7

Outside run recognition is top notch, but he can be tricked on an outside stretch run play-action.

Run Defense6

I liked Brooks' skills to turn the ball back inside, but his outside tackling skills were slightly above average when asked to get through traffic.

Shed Blocks6

Wanted to see better hand use—similar to what he shows getting around the edge in pass-rushing situations.

Speed8

Has the speed to catch in pursuit and to close on the quarterback in space.

Strength6

Okay strength, but will get tied up and can struggle to break off blocks.

Tackle8

The Niner has textbook form and ability in the open field.

Health10

Didn't miss any time in 2011.

Overall71

The San Francisco 49ers smartly locked up Ahmad Brooks in the offseason, securing their best all-around OLB with the team moving forward. Brooks has been underrated due to the stars around him, but his impact is huge.
Interesting. Good thread, thanks.
A little surprised Brooks is that low but there are a lot of good OLB in this league. He should jump up next year. Also, good to see Haralson on there... one way to look at it is that's not too bad considering he's a #3 and at 64 OLB that's 2 per team so he is better than 13 #2's.
Matt Miller put Manny Lawson 31 and said he had great pass rush ability but was weak in run support. And he puts Aaron curry in the 20's.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Matt Miller put Manny Lawson 31 and said he had great pass rush ability but was weak in run support. And he puts Aaron curry in the 20's.

Alright this made up my mind on whether or not I was going to read it
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:

LOL! Ratings like these always contain a few ooops moments. Great pass rush? Yes, he had one a few years ago...can't remember what game it was. But most comments I read seemed fairly balanced and accurate so no problem.

It's better than the draft report I read yesterday that said the niners #1 need is LB as Willis is the only solid LB on the team. Must be a guy from NY who doesn't care about western teams.
Problem is that all the OLB and DE's are lumped together. He should have the 4-3 guys and the 3-4 guys separate.

But a good list overall.

Anthony Davis sooooo overrated. BIG TIME!!
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

That's opposite of how he was in SF so it seems off but I believe it was based on last year's play. Did anyone watch him in Cinci because players do change. (look at Haralson) By the way I think one year he was ranked in the top 5 for pressures or something like that percentage wise out of total rushes. We did have him cover a ton so he really didn't get to show off his pass rush abilities although he didn't have much besides going to the outside.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM ]
Miller's wright-up on Manny Lawson makes me question the accuracy of his ratings. This is not the player that played for the 9ers:
Agility7

Above-average quickness, strength and flexibility.

Coverage6

Decent in coverage but seems to be slow to react in passing situations.

Pass Rush8

High-level pass-rusher that can get after the quarterback off the edge or through the gap.

Read & React6.5

Good instincts and diagnosis pre-snap but needs to have a more aggressive first step.

Run Defense5

Takes poor angles to the ball and really struggles as a run defender.

Shed Blocks7

Lawson uses his hands well but needs to get better at planting his feet.

Speed7

Good speed for a linebacker. Can chase down the ball-carrier from his starting point.

Strength7

Doesn't possess elite strength, but enough muscle to hold his own.

Tackle7

Fundamental tacker that will occasionally get shook in open space.

Health10

Didn't miss any games last season.

Overall70.5

Manny Lawson, a former first-round pick in '06 out of NC State, makes an impact as a pass-rusher but really needs to work on his consistency and reliability against the run.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Problem is that all the OLB and DE's are lumped together. He should have the 4-3 guys and the 3-4 guys separate.

But a good list overall.

This. Even more so, you have to break down 3-4 OLB's from 4-3 OLB's and then SAM positions vs. WILL positions. That said, Brooks IMHO is probably top 2 or 3 best SAM in the business, hence why we locked him up. Not a bad list overall though; I'd agree with a lot of it. That said, how many of us really care about other team's players? LOL.

We should do our own:

#3 Ahmad Brooks, San Francisco 49ers

Agility - 8. At 260 Brooks has solid, upper level hip flexibility and quickness in space. A very good athlete overall.

Bull Rush - 7 - Took on double-teams all year and kept QB's and RB's from getting outside and Aldon Smith and other's benefited from single coverage on the other side. Could benefit more from starting off the LOS (ala Merriman) rather than a stand-still position against large Tackles.

Speed Rush - 8 - Rare combination of speed and quickness/burst and hustle. Uses hands well and generally beats single blocking to apply at least pressure. When angry, explodes off the edge. He breaks QB's. 3rd on the team in sacks and tons of QB pressures/hits.

Read & React - 9 - Best part of his game. Lead the team in TFL and I didn't see one blown assignment all year. Was critical in run defense, screens and runs off tackle. Knocked down key passes that would have gone for TD's and rushed up the field forcing incompletions in the RZ. I would give him a 10 save for a few false starts last year.

Run Defense - 8 - Again, took on multiple blockers all year while getting up field, sealing the edge and funneling RB's inside to help

Shed Blocks - 7 - With no backup and this being his first year, there were moments he was tired, worn down and was typically targeted all year by the opposition for double teams. With a new contract and a full off season of conditioning and a coaching staff that clearly believes in him and a great attitude to boot now, he should continue to be a regular at the gym and continue to be an effective every down SAM.

Speed - 8 - Might be the best overall coverage LB we have. Had fantastic outside and underneath coverage all year; didn't benefit from over-the-top and inside coverage at times but he did his part. But at 260 pounds you probably won't find too many SAMs who can cover down the field. Great closing speed and explodes through RB's

Strength - 6 - Would like to see him work on leverage more and could benefit from strength training since he takes on so many double teams. Conditioning and strength go hand in hand (see also, Smith, Justin)

Tackle - 8 - Did he have a missed tackle last year? Text-book

Health - 10 - Can you believe this is his first year as a FT starter with no off-season? And he did so by being one of the team leaders in total plays from scrimmage. Impressive.

Overall - 79
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM ]
Originally posted by endcapitalism:
Miller's wright-up on Manny Lawson makes me question the accuracy of his ratings. This is not the player that played for the 9ers:
Agility7

Above-average quickness, strength and flexibility.

Coverage6

Decent in coverage but seems to be slow to react in passing situations.

Pass Rush8

High-level pass-rusher that can get after the quarterback off the edge or through the gap.

Read & React6.5

Good instincts and diagnosis pre-snap but needs to have a more aggressive first step.

Run Defense5

Takes poor angles to the ball and really struggles as a run defender.

Shed Blocks7

Lawson uses his hands well but needs to get better at planting his feet.

Speed7

Good speed for a linebacker. Can chase down the ball-carrier from his starting point.

Strength7

Doesn't possess elite strength, but enough muscle to hold his own.

Tackle7

Fundamental tacker that will occasionally get shook in open space.

Health10

Didn't miss any games last season.

Overall70.5

Manny Lawson, a former first-round pick in '06 out of NC State, makes an impact as a pass-rusher but really needs to work on his consistency and reliability against the run.

Seems odd, wasn't he more consistent against the run but not against the pass rush. He wasn't great in pass rush, when did he become a great pass rusher?
Share 49ersWebzone