There are 189 users in the forums

matt miller's player rankings

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Been following this since the beginning. for people like susweel Matt Miller is the founder of New Era Scouting which has been featured on NFLN and in various major newspapers. He's one of the top writers on Bleacher Report. He isn't one of the average fans writing on there. It's probably as legit if not better than the ESPN or NFLN lists.

Anyways, really haven't found anything to disagree with so far for the rankings. I wish he would have done NT and DT's separate though. I guess I would still put Sopoaga at 6 or 7 of the 15 or so NTs so 1/2 way still evens out to close to 30/64 anyways. Sopoaga doesn't have much pass rush ability but it's not his job. Still there are some NTs that can rush the passer so I can see why he is behind them. He's near tops in run stopping but is average at pass rushing but again it's not his job.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Interested to see where Gore, Aldon and Brooks are at.

Same with the entire 1,000... that should be really cool to look through. Brooks and Aldon should be pretty high... Gore as well. The WRs will be lower but the rankings do a pretty good job of telling where our weaknesses are. C, RG, RT, WR.... So when can we look for your top 1000 rankings AB? J/K... Matt must have spent 100s if not thousands of hours going through all these players and breaking them down. You can phone it in when you do a top 10 but ranking top 64-100 at positions you better do your research.
Is there a way to see these lists without going through the slide show? Don't see a link to list style.
I see that he has Snyder ranked low/last, which means easy to improve upon.....

........ wonder where Chilo would've ranked
Originally posted by socal9er42:

Rachal was listed at 237 of bench sitting. Evidently slid off the bench more often than most scrubs.

32nd waterboy
Originally posted by English:

32nd waterboy

Kept drinking all the water before reaching the huddle! What he didn't drink, he spilled...as he stepped on the QBs foot. He would have been much lower but he was very adept at jumping out of the way of DLmen..
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM ]

Accuracy Short 9

Possesses upper-tier ability to thread the ball into tight spots on short routes. Smith throws one of the most catchable balls in the NFL and has a great feel for placement.

Accuracy Outside the Pocket 8

A very mobile quarterback, Smith is experienced and comfortable on the move. As an agile player, Smith spends time in designed plays where the pocket moves.

Accuracy Deep 7

Smith lacks the arm strength to have pinpoint accuracy deep, but he did complete 46.5 percent of his passes over 20 yards in the air. Not quite great, but very good.

Arm Strength 4

Didn't have a strong arm when entering the NFL in 2005, and due to shoulder surgeries he hasn't seen his strength improve. There is enough velocity here, but Smith will never be able to routinely air it out.

Clutch 8

Delivered in the postseason after a 2011 regular season that included four straight game-winning drives in Weeks 7-10. Wasn't known as a comeback-leading passer, but is naturally calm and confident under pressure.

Decision Making 8

A high-percentage passer who doesn't make unnecessary throws and is a strong game manager. Smith had the best interception-to-attempt ratio among regular starters in 2011: 1/89.

Mechanic 8

Will drop his arm at times—altering his delivery point—but he throws with good follow-through and without delays or hitches. Has a fast strike, and keeps his balance when throwing.

Mobility 8

An option quarterback at Utah, Smith brought his ability to escape the pocket to the NFL. Can get outside the pocket and pick up yards, or position himself for a better passing window.

Pocket Performance 8

Smith was the fourth most-pressured quarterback in 2011 but handled the rush well, standing in to make the throws and finishing fifth in percentage of passes completed when drops and throw-aways are set aside.

Health 10

Often injured previously, Smith was completely healthy in 2011.

Overall 78

Has shed the "bust" label that haunted him, showing he can be a game-winning quarterback on a roster with talent around him. Will never be in the first- or second-tier of quarterbacks, but he's a solid starter.

Actually not a bad assessment. The bolded is a little iffy...especially re: Smith having a "great feel for placement"...I don't necessarily agree with that. In the Sainta game he certainly did...but he still tends to throw high or low. I think his accuracy has improved but I don't think he has a "great feel" for ball placement.

I think Smith is a smarter and tougher version of Mark Sanchez.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I can't argue with these rankings.

Justin Smith is the top 3-4 End in the NFL IMO. McDonald is also a top 15 DE at least, and is only gonna get better.

Willis/Bowman is the best ILB tandem on any 3-4 team.

Delanie is a top 20 TE also IMO, and I don't want to see him let go after 2012. Thats why I wouldn't draft fleener. Rather have the proven in Delanie.

Vernon is a top 5 TE at least, I would put Vernon over Tony Gonzalez, I also think he is better than Aaron Hernandez and Jason Witten. But both are hell of TE's.

Iupati is a top 5 Guard, I remember 2010 when we were on the clock, I was hoping for Iupati. It was between Pouncey or Iupati, but Pouncey went before Iupati. Would of been happy with either.

Akers and Lee are top 2 at their positions, need to lock up Lee soon, as he is a UFA after 2012.

Can't beat #6 CB for Rogers, some good ones above him, Nnamdi, Revis, Woodson and Haden.

Interested to see where Gore, Aldon and Brooks are at.

Iupati was the first guard off the board (went the pick before Pouncey)
Would have thought Staley would have been higher than 16. Other than that, pretty fair if you ask me...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8281b796/article/quarterback-rankings-eli-manning-tops-list-heading-into-2012?fb_ref=fbLike&fb_source=home_multiline

LOL, and people like susweel saying they won't read these rankings because of where they come from.
I agree with him that Justin Smith is the best defensive player in the league.
Nice list. The safety rankings are all over the place though. Its interesting because PFF also really struggles when grading safeties. Something about the safety position that messes up their algorithm.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
stopped reading at bleacherreport
NFL jersey nice quality like authentic Jerseyjust need $18.99order 10 pcs just need $220 and we provide free shipping click our site right now you can get the 5% discount code!2012 NIKE NFL Jersey coming soon
www.efeelsports.com
Share 49ersWebzone