LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

Kilgore a little light in the a$$?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Fear not, this guy will be our starting RG next year.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71222&draftyear=2012&genpos=OG
Can't be any worse than Chilo or Snyder. He's much cheaper though. That's a plus.

Our previous GM doesn't have the best track record with lineman. Baalke has drafted very well so far. I trust their judgement and I expect they'll add some more talent to the position during the draft.
Originally posted by strickac:
Can't be any worse than Chilo or Snyder. He's much cheaper though. That's a plus.

Our previous GM doesn't have the best track record with lineman. Baalke has drafted very well so far. I trust their judgement and I expect they'll add some more talent to the position during the draft.

I agree, plus he should put on some weight in the offseason anyways due to strength and conditioning, whoever we draft can learnt he offense over the next year in order to compete because we want to win now
We kept 2 rookie OL on the team last yr. I think the other one was being groomed for C. Mike Person i believe
Originally posted by Squidp:
We kept 2 rookie OL on the team last yr. I think the other one was being groomed for C. Mike Person i believe

Beeler was specifically for Center. Person and Kilgore were for guard and possibly back up Tackle.
Originally posted by pete98146:
Fear not, this guy will be our starting RG next year.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71222&draftyear=2012&genpos=OG

I don't know if i like that he's "tentative on pass protection" considering we need someone who can be pretty good at that. Especially with Alex back there, not bashing alex but we definitely don't want to take a backwards step in that area this year.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by Squidp:

Beeler was specifically for Center. Person and Kilgore were for guard and possibly back up Tackle.

yea ive read that the team has high hopes that beeler will turn into our starting center in a year or two. Even heard that he turned down offers from other teams that wanted to sign him off of our PS but he declined.

Kilgore will be a good specimen, esp. since we didnt make a strong push to sign a G in FA. I really hope he is ready to start cause i dont want to waste a first or second on a G....we need an offensive weapon and a defensive stud in the 1st and 2nd
Watch Kilgore start at RG next season..and not only not struggle.....but end up as the best offensive lineman on the 49ers by season's end. They would then build statue's to Baalke's greatness.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
He was an LT in college and probably will be more effective in pass block than run blocking. But honestly, pass blocking is where we need help, especially from the the right side.

I thought he played guard? the vides show he played guard and they were talking about him being groomed to play center with the idea that hopefully he can be the permanent solution. I believe he was under 300 when they drafted him and picked up weight. Anyway, we will see. The coaches thought Chilo would do alright as the starter at RG last year, but naddah, that is why I expect them to take a guard in the first or second.
I'm intrigued by Amini Silatolu, Grant Cohn's prospect at OG, but I don't think he's worth trading up for in the 2nd, per Grant's prediction. Would be nice to sign Duece Lutui to a one-year if he passes his physical. The competition between Kilgore, a veteran FA, and blue-chip rookie should produce a capable starter when the dust settles.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=96449&draftyear=2012&genpos=OG

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/03/inside-the-49ers/how-the-draft-will-play-out-for-the-49ers/

kilgore needs to work out with the justin smith group.... that will get his a$$ in shape.
Are you kidding me? 308 lbs is perfect for a RG. DeCastro is llisted at 312 (not saying Kilgore is as good) but if people are willing to give up a bounty to trade up, you have to realize that 4 pounds would not make someone that much better.

I think Kilgore (or I hope) will end up be a solid starter at RG. Lots of pro bowl guards where had in later rounds, look at Karl Nicks, etc.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Daniel Kilgore reminds me of Chris Dalman who was drafted by the 49ers very late (6th RD I believe) because he was only around 275pds. He was a backup for a few years and got up to around 295pds and became a very good guard and center for several years until a neck injury ruined his NFL career. I think Kilgore can be a similar type of player. I would not be surprised if you see Kilgore end up being our starting center down the road as well.

Why are some people projecting Kilgore as a center?

Has anyone from the 49ers talked about him playing center?
  • dj43
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
He's actually 308, but he's strong and very athletic. Entered the draft with a lot of upside and starter potential once coached up for a year, two at the most. Kilgore is a gifted pass protector, that's where he holds up the best. His main developmental needs were in run blocking.

He looked very good in the pre-season, we'll see how he does this year.

I agree with your assessment. I especially liked his footwork in what we saw of him last PS.

I believe the fact the FO let Adam Snyder go without making a serious move to keep him sends the message they think Kilgore is the future. A lot of 49er fans have an over-inflated view of Snyder. The fact he was MUCH better than Rachal does not make him any more than just a journeyman guard in the NFL. He was not able to get movement in the running game against the better DTs in the league and far too often was pushed back in pass protection destroying he front of the pocket and forcing Smith to throw off his back foot or roll out before he had a chance to complete his progression. In short, he was very "average."

Even if Kilgore is slated to be the future on the interior, I still expect to see them take a center/guard in the draft. Goodwin had a better season than some thought but he also got pushed back too often in pass protection. An upgrade at center would not surprise me at all.

Finally, the fact AZ gave Snyder as much as they did tells me how weak their OL really was. If Snyder is starting on that line, it is not going to be a very good one. Of course the other thing might be that the Cardinals thought that by signing Snyder they would be significantly weakening a division rival = wrong.
Kilgore will get every opportunity to win the RG job...if he can, then that further changes whom Baalke may draft and/or what vet he may sign as insurance. I'd like to see him get a guy who can play C & OG. Good technique can offset smaller size...we'll see how that works out. Go Dan!!
Share 49ersWebzone