There are 181 users in the forums

Kilgore a little light in the a$$?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I thought 305 was real light for an interior lineman, until I took a look at the 2011 Pro Bowl Guards =

Kris Dielman = 320
Logan Mankins = 310
Brian Waters = 320
Jahri Evans = 318
Chris Snee = 305
Carl Nicks = 343

Take a look at Kilgore at the Combine 12 months ago =

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81ec7751/2011-combine-workout-Daniel-Kilgore

His body looks really soft to me. The fact that he only got 23 reps on the bench confirms that. I think a full year working with a professional strength and conditioning coach should get him 10+ lbs of muscle. If he can get between 315-320, with his quickness and technique, he could be a solid RG for years to come. Hopefully he realizes the incredible opportunity in front of him and is busting his ass as we speak.
Ok, lets not start poking holes in Kilgore already. He hasn't even had a chance. Lets trust the developmental skills of JH and Co.
He's our second chance at Harvey Dahl...or that type of guard
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Why you guys checking out his ass ?
Originally posted by susweel:
Why you guys checking out his ass ?

They think it needs more meat....
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Good point but I counter with this. What type of offenses do those teams run? I just feel that its gonna be much tougher to run on the right side with him being this light. I'm glad he's so good at pass blocking but we tend to run the ball A LOT.

I hope he can put on the 10-15 like people suggest and yes he should be able to do so. I'm not downplaying him or his ability because I hope he can do the job and save us from having a revolving door at the position.

Very true, most of the Pro Bowl guards were in passing O's. The 9ers were 8th in the league in rushing, lets look at the top 5 rushing teams from 2011 =

#1 Denver
RG - Kuper = 6'4" 303
LG - Beadles = 6'4" 305

#2 Houston
RG - Brisiel = 6'5" 300
LG - Smith = 6'4" 310

#3 Carolina
RG - Hangartner = 6'5" 301
LG - Wharton = 6'4" 312

#4 Vikings
RG - Herrera = 6'2" 315
LG - Berger = 6'5" 315 ( Hutchinson 6'5" 313 )

#5 Eagles
RG - Watkins = 6'3" 310
LG - Mathis = 6'5" 302

Seems like Kilgore fits in. I would still like to see his body composition change though. Looks like his frame has much more room to pack on muscle.

Harbaugh, Roman, Solari and Drevno have seen Kilgore up close for an entire season. They let Chilo and Snyder go, allowed Schwartz to walk and have not signed Lutui or Davis. It leads me to believe that they have faith in Kilgore.

Hell, maybe we all have it wrong. I remember hearing Jim say multiple times last year that "we will get the 5 best lineman on the field" This is when Alex Boone was having a great summer. Maybe Boone is the one to slide into the starting RG spot for the 2012 season? No matter what though....wether its though the draft, with a cheap FA or with someone already on the roster, Kilgore will have competition this summer for that starting gig. After watching what this staff did with the 9ers last year, I cant believe they would expose such an important part of the team without a plan in place already.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
They think it needs more meat....

Indeed...its too soft, fluffy and creamy white. The 'Sisters' would have a field day with him.

Boggs: Hey, anybody come at you yet? Anybody get to you yet?
[Kilgore looks at him in puzzlement]
Boggs: Hey, we all need friends in here. I could be a friend to you.
[Kilgore walks away]
Boggs: Hey... Hard to get. I like that...
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Ok, lets not start poking holes in Kilgore already. He hasn't even had a chance. Lets trust the developmental skills of JH and Co.

I was actually sticking up for him Chitown Lifer
So, just wondering. When is the last time any of us actually saw Kilgore?? I mean we are sitting here dissecting his size and I know its still a few days from the draft but....... seems a little ridiculous. I'm sure he is more than large enough to play NFL football.
Originally posted by walker807:
So, just wondering. When is the last time any of us actually saw Kilgore?? I mean we are sitting here dissecting his size and I know its still a few days from the draft but....... seems a little ridiculous. I'm sure he is more than large enough to play NFL football.

I heard hes down to 250
If he's light in the a$$ he should do some butt workouts with Vernon

You can make up for a lower weight with better footwork and speed. That's what makes David DeCastro so badass. He weights 315/320 lbs, but he moves like one of the old-school WCO McKittrick style offensive linemen from days gone by.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
He's actually 308, but he's strong and very athletic. Entered the draft with a lot of upside and starter potential once coached up for a year, two at the most. Kilgore is a gifted pass protector, that's where he holds up the best. His main developmental needs were in run blocking.

He looked very good in the pre-season, we'll see how he does this year.

He really looked good in the pre-season. He stood out on the 2nd unit at RG. I would say Kendall Hunter ran almost 90% to the right behind Kilgore and Hunter had a very nice pre-season.
Daniel Kilgore reminds me of Chris Dalman who was drafted by the 49ers very late (6th RD I believe) because he was only around 275pds. He was a backup for a few years and got up to around 295pds and became a very good guard and center for several years until a neck injury ruined his NFL career. I think Kilgore can be a similar type of player. I would not be surprised if you see Kilgore end up being our starting center down the road as well.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Daniel Kilgore reminds me of Chris Dalman who was drafted by the 49ers very late (6th RD I believe) because he was only around 275pds. He was a backup for a few years and got up to around 295pds and became a very good guard and center for several years until a neck injury ruined his NFL career. I think Kilgore can be a similar type of player. I would not be surprised if you see Kilgore end up being our starting center down the road as well.

I would be very surprised if Kilgore ended up being our starting center.
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
If he sucks at the run block D's are gonna Kilgore!

nice post
Share 49ersWebzone