LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

Kilgore a little light in the a$$?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
That's how you pass block. You can't stop guys dead in their tracks. You lock them up, slow them down, and ride them.

Dude you can't get that to people who don't truly understand the game. Pass blocking is about footwork and correct balance and less to do with brute strength. If I am not mistaken one of the better guards in the NFL, Logan Mankins, plays at 310...someone everyone on the Zone has been crying that we didnt draft. Brian Waters and Will Shields played under 315 most to all of their careers.
I thought 305 was real light for an interior lineman, until I took a look at the 2011 Pro Bowl Guards =

Kris Dielman = 320
Logan Mankins = 310
Brian Waters = 320
Jahri Evans = 318
Chris Snee = 305
Carl Nicks = 343

Take a look at Kilgore at the Combine 12 months ago =

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81ec7751/2011-combine-workout-Daniel-Kilgore

His body looks really soft to me. The fact that he only got 23 reps on the bench confirms that. I think a full year working with a professional strength and conditioning coach should get him 10+ lbs of muscle. If he can get between 315-320, with his quickness and technique, he could be a solid RG for years to come. Hopefully he realizes the incredible opportunity in front of him and is busting his ass as we speak.
There are plenty of guards who play at around 310. Being a couple of pounds heavier isn't going to change who he is as a player.
Kilgore will get his chance and if he proves out we will have one of the better O lines in the game.
My anaconda don't want none unless you got bunz hun
If he sucks at the run block D's are gonna Kilgore!
His weight is fine and he'll likely add or already has added a few pounds of muscle to it.

I mean he was a 5th round selection because he needed some polishing not because he was right out the the box ready to start.
300lbs is not light for any OL position.
I liked the pick last year, and look forward to his starting and dominating this season, that film DaDiva posted shows great form, perfect 3-point stance, low pads, and great footwork, 300 pounds and that kind of skill, he has what it takes to be a force at guard! We need only be looking for his back-up, I would go with one of the vet FA's out there, and not worry about Kilgore getting it done this season, he plays nasty!
straight cash homie

Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I thought 305 was real light for an interior lineman, until I took a look at the 2011 Pro Bowl Guards =

Kris Dielman = 320
Logan Mankins = 310
Brian Waters = 320
Jahri Evans = 318
Chris Snee = 305
Carl Nicks = 343

Take a look at Kilgore at the Combine 12 months ago =

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81ec7751/2011-combine-workout-Daniel-Kilgore

His body looks really soft to me. The fact that he only got 23 reps on the bench confirms that. I think a full year working with a professional strength and conditioning coach should get him 10+ lbs of muscle. If he can get between 315-320, with his quickness and technique, he could be a solid RG for years to come. Hopefully he realizes the incredible opportunity in front of him and is busting his ass as we speak.

Good point but I counter with this. What type of offenses do those teams run? I just feel that its gonna be much tougher to run on the right side with him being this light. I'm glad he's so good at pass blocking but we tend to run the ball A LOT.

I hope he can put on the 10-15 like people suggest and yes he should be able to do so. I'm not downplaying him or his ability because I hope he can do the job and save us from having a revolving door at the position.
There is no reason to suspect he can't put on some muscle in a full season he didn't play plus the offseason this year. Let's not forget that he is inded light on the A$$ second too letters. i.e. He's a more affordable option. This is going to be interesting. I think we liked him in the draft by moving up last year. Being in no rush to sign Snyder or any other guard means we probably saw something in practice. This will shake out on draft day. I still think we may be hoping for DeCastro. The question is do we move up or take who we get at 30? There is no reason we can't get a guard we expect to play on the right side and maybe be a starter in 2 or 3. Take Kilgore for instance. We're all speculating on a guy laying around in the 5th round. You don't think we can draft him some competition in 2 or 3? I think we can. Looking forward to the draft.
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
If he sucks at the run block D's are gonna Kilgore!

Centers and Tackles need to be the most mobile pieces of the OL. If being 305 helps Kilgore pass off DTs to his fellow linemen, then so be it. If he can perform the same task at a heavier weight and still be a road-grater, even better.
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Centers and Tackles need to be the most mobile pieces of the OL. If being 305 helps Kilgore pass off DTs to his fellow linemen, then so be it. If he can perform the same task at a heavier weight and still be a road-grater, even better.

This is assuming Harbaugh is grooming Kilgore to eventually start at center. I still think we're gonna find our future starter at OG in this draft.
Share 49ersWebzone