There are 220 users in the forums

Possibilities of SF hosting Super Bowl L in 2016??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kingairta:
Not enough seats at candle stick. And no I dont want our stadium to be hosting the SB. The hosting city has never had their team in the SB. I dont want to make it any harder then necessary for our beloved team to play in the SB.

propoganda
A couple things to address a few different comments....

1) The Super Bowl will never be played at Candlestick. It isn't because it's too small. Its because the thing is a trash heap. We love the place because of the history, but it is currently the oldest unrenovated stadium in the NFL and it was never a great stadium to begin with. It was built for baseball.

2) The Super Bowl will be played SEVERAL times in Santa Clara. The only thing that has kept the NFL away from this region in January is Candlestick. The NFL LOVES warm weather cities to host Super Bowls. Its not that it MIGHT happen. It WILL happen.

3) One of you asked if a Super Bowl had ever been awarded if a stadium hadn't been built. The answer is yes...and it's much more common recently. The NFL always gives a SB to a team that gets a new stadium. They do it to help get them built (and thats why we are gonna get a SB in the snow in New York). The NFLs only stipulation is that the team play 2 full seasons in that park before a SB is played there. If the stadium in SC goes up for the 2014 season, the Niners would play there in 2014 and 2015 and then host the game in Late Jan/Early Feb 2016. Don't think that some of the concern over getting this thing done by 2014 is a coincidense. The 49ers and the City of SC can read a calendar too. They would LOVE to host that game and bring the NFL universe to Santa Clara for SB 50.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 2, 2012 at 9:28 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

1) The Super Bowl will never be played at Candlestick. It isn't because it's too small. Its because the thing is a trash heap. We love the place because of the history, but it is currently the oldest unrenovated stadium in the NFL and it was never a great stadium to begin with. It was built for baseball.

2) The Super Bowl will be played SEVERAL times in Santa Clara. The only thing that has kept the NFL away from this region in January is Candlestick. The NFL LOVES warm weather cities to host Super Bowls. Its not that it MIGHT happen. It WILL happen.

3) One of you asked if a Super Bowl had ever been awarded if a stadium hadn't been built. The answer is yes...and it's much more common recently. The NFL always gives a SB to a team that gets a new stadium. They do it to help get them built (and thats why we are gonna get a SB in the snow in New York). The NFLs only stipulation is that the team play 2 full seasons in that park before a SB is played there. If the stadium in SC goes up for the 2014 season, the Niners would play there in 2014 and 2015 and then host the game in Late Jan/Early Feb 2016. Don't think that some of the concern over getting this thing done by 2014 is a coincidense. The 49ers and the City of SC can read a calendar too. They would LOVE to host that game and bring the NFL universe to Santa Clara for SB 50.

Dude,lots of great points.gave me the answers I was looking for.

ive never been to a home game,but always heard the same things from people who have,the age of the stadium,etc and all that goes w that.

Interesting point made bout the insistence of the league for the host team to have played 2 seasons in the new bldg.definetly dont think the timeline for our completion is a coincidence at all.
Also,about other cities getting the bid,even though the bldg wasnt done yet.you mentioned ny/nj,do u know of what other teams that happened with???
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM ]
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:

ive never been to a home game,but always heard the same things from people who have,the age of the stadium,etc and all that goes w that.

Interesting point made bout the insistence of the league for the host team to have played 2 seasons in the new bldg.definetly dont think the timeline for our completion is a coincidence at all.
Also,about other cities getting the bid,even though the bldg wasnt done yet.you mentioned ny/nj,do u know of what other teams that happened with???

Cowboys Stadium would be one.
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
50th Super Bowl = Golden Anniversary = should be held @ the home stadium of the team known for gold

no, jerry jones you can't have it again....the super bowl in dallas SUCKED!

Everything in Dallas sucks!
I got to go to that Super Bowl and while I'm certainly not ungrateful that I got to go, it was a logistical nightmare. A lot of it had to do with the weather. I was down there for the week leading up to the game and there was a day that we got snowed in to our hotel and were unable to leave. A lot of our planned activities were cancelled.

But game day was also a nightmare. For a stadium that is out in the middle of a lot of open space, they did a horrible job of getting people into the stadium. No exaggeration, it took us 2 hours to get into the stadium. You'd wind your way to the side of the stadium to which you were directed only to be told they weren't letting anyone in that entrance for the next 30 min. I'm not sure if that's par for the course at a SB, but it was pretty miserable. My seats were good, but part of our group was sitting in a section of seats that they just installed to accommodate the SB crowd, which ended up being basically behind part of the stadium structure so they couldn't see much. Sorry for the rant. Long way of saying that I'd oppose Dallas getting the SB for SB L.

tl;dr Went to the SB in Dallas. Weather and botched handling of the crowd on game day marred the experience.
Originally posted by srenin_evoli:
I got to go to that Super Bowl and while I'm certainly not ungrateful that I got to go, it was a logistical nightmare. A lot of it had to do with the weather. I was down there for the week leading up to the game and there was a day that we got snowed in to our hotel and were unable to leave. A lot of our planned activities were cancelled.

But game day was also a nightmare. For a stadium that is out in the middle of a lot of open space, they did a horrible job of getting people into the stadium. No exaggeration, it took us 2 hours to get into the stadium. You'd wind your way to the side of the stadium to which you were directed only to be told they weren't letting anyone in that entrance for the next 30 min. I'm not sure if that's par for the course at a SB, but it was pretty miserable. My seats were good, but part of our group was sitting in a section of seats that they just installed to accommodate the SB crowd, which ended up being basically behind part of the stadium structure so they couldn't see much. Sorry for the rant. Long way of saying that I'd oppose Dallas getting the SB for SB L.

tl;dr Went to the SB in Dallas. Weather and botched handling of the crowd on game day marred the experience.

isn't the new cowboys stadium ALSO right next to a theme park (six flags?) maybe jerry can give jed some pointers on how to plan the logistics...
The news of the 19.April.2012 groundbreaking, almost makes it a done deal.
Originally posted by srenin_evoli:

isn't the new cowboys stadium ALSO right next to a theme park (six flags?) maybe jerry can give jed some pointers on how to plan the logistics...

Haha yeah it is. And the Rangers stadium is in the area too.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/04/good-hosts-49ers-plan-to-bid-on-super-bowl-l.html
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Tardinals stadium in Glendale would be another I would think.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/04/good-hosts-49ers-plan-to-bid-on-super-bowl-l.html

Yes!!!
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Tardinals stadium in Glendale would be another I would think.

shoot, LA that has yet to even get a team again, let alone build a new stadium is still being bandied about as a longshot host for Super Bowl L
50th Super Bowl = Golden Anniversary = should be held @ the home stadium of the team known for gold

no, jerry jones you can't have it again....the super bowl in dallas SUCKED!

This. Hope we get it
Share 49ersWebzone