LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 451 users in the forums

RB Brandon Jocobs: Like It or Hate It?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

RB Brandon Jocobs: Like It or Hate It?

• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Just like I don't think any other team was shaking in their boots when facing Jacobs either

I don't care if people's boots are shaking, I care if he can come in and take a few touchdown carries from gore, give Gore a few short yardage breaks, and perhaps step up if Gore gets hurt...That's all way more than Dixon could do, Jacobs can be trusted way more with those situations.

When Bradshaw went down at times last year, Jacobs had some solid games. 3.9 average in games with 15 or more carries last year(gore was slightly better at 4.3). Despite his fewer carries, jacobs had 7 tds rushing and 1 receiving TD, gore had 8.

He might not be as good as he used to be, but a combo of him and hunter would actually still be workable, Dixon+hunter would be another tragedy like when gore got hurt in 2010.
not sure about some of these moves...why we aren't fixing holes in the draft I don't get, patchwork 1 year deals does not fix a problem
Originally posted by jreff22:
not sure about some of these moves...why we aren't fixing holes in the draft I don't get, patchwork 1 year deals does not fix a problem

maybe because we want to go BPA in the draft.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by jreff22:

maybe because we want to go BPA in the draft.

thats fine and dandy but we need to have some openings on the roster and getting young depth signed for 3-4 years is always a better option IMO
I think it's a good move. A little insurance for when Frank the tank runs outta gas around week 9. We all saw it last season.......Frank used to NEVER get up from a tackle and head to the sidelines.....He did that ALOT last season. I think JH and Roman were a little handcuffed by that at times towards the end of the season
How would you like to be the linebacker or DB thats looking over the line at Davis, Boone, Sopoaga, Iupati pulling and then Jacobs. You would have to say to yourself..... Self thats 1500lbs plus comin at me.. Do I feel lucky Great sign if JH/TR can get him running downhill.
[ Edited by lifer49erfan on Mar 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM ]
As they say, "Iron sharpens iron."
Originally posted by AKfanster:
I think it's a good move. A little insurance for when Frank the tank runs outta gas around week 9. We all saw it last season.......Frank used to NEVER get up from a tackle and head to the sidelines.....He did that ALOT last season. I think JH and Roman were a little handcuffed by that at times towards the end of the season

That's a good point. I did notice Gore being a little tired towards the later part of the season, and running out of gas.
Originally posted by mike:
Just like I don't think any other team was shaking in their boots when facing Jacobs either

I don't care if people's boots are shaking, I care if he can come in and take a few touchdown carries from gore, give Gore a few short yardage breaks, and perhaps step up if Gore gets hurt...That's all way more than Dixon could do, Jacobs can be trusted way more with those situations.

When Bradshaw went down at times last year, Jacobs had some solid games. 3.9 average in games with 15 or more carries last year(gore was slightly better at 4.3). Despite his fewer carries, jacobs had 7 tds rushing and 1 receiving TD, gore had 8.

He might not be as good as he used to be, but a combo of him and hunter would actually still be workable, Dixon+hunter would be another tragedy like when gore got hurt in 2010.

Good signing. Depth and competition. Dont understand the hate, especially those peeps crapping on his performance as a short-yardage back. Last I checked he was 5 out of 7 in short 3rd down conversions last year. That was better than Dixon for sure, and better than the niners team as a whole. And the final point can not be overstressed. In Harbalke I trust

You never know about these backs nearing the big "3-0" in age. I say with a one year deal, it's not even a given that he will still be on the roster in September. Depends on the contract details somewhat. But he's coming to a team with depth at his position, and youth. Competition at the position is always a good thing. Just don't bank on him being an impact player.

Originally posted by Big_Daddy:

Good signing. Depth and competition. Dont understand the hate, especially those peeps crapping on his performance as a short-yardage back. Last I checked he was 5 out of 7 in short 3rd down conversions last year. That was better than Dixon for sure, and better than the niners team as a whole. And the final point can not be overstressed. In Harbalke I trust

The other thing peeps fail to realize or maybe grasp is that some players go through a rejuvenation on another team. We've seen it time and again especially if you're winning and you have a strong Coach and leadership in the locker room which we have both. Jacobs will definitely compete against all the backs especially in short yardage. If he accepts and embraces that role plus dispelling Gore from time to time without feeling he should be the starter, then we have a different back from the one in NY.

He knows his place here. His contract embodies that of a backup, not a starter. I believe we get the "new" Jacobs and he will dominant for short yardage and redzone plays. Once successful, play action becomes a serious mother f**ker!!

Or he fails, we cut and no harm no foul. But he sure did make the other backs better with the competition. Either way, we win!
[ Edited by ninertico on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM ]
love it. going against our defense in practice everyday is only gonna turn him into the beast he was during the giants super bowl run against the pats the first time. solid backfield w hunter, jacobs and gore. i had a feeling once he was let go by giants we would grab him.
I'm luke-warm on this move.
Honestly though, it's just another low risk high reward deal. If Jacobs comes in and does what we need him to do, and what we didn't have anyonewho could do last year......he's a great pickup, if he can't we don't lose much on the deal.

Same with Randy Moss, same with Parish Cox, ect.

Like what you say.

With Rathman at his side he will go for it like never before.

Something tells me he's going to get to be fired up about a 49er helmet.
Share 49ersWebzone