LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

RB Brandon Jocobs: Like It or Hate It?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

RB Brandon Jocobs: Like It or Hate It?

If his game was as good as his jive we would be getting an all-pro.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
It's another classic no risk signing.

We may not target a running back in the draft now. I thought for sure they would.

Do you think Anthony Dixon is going to do some extra work on the playbook and assignments? HELL YES.

Jacobs is a load at 264 pounds and even if he's lost a step, he's a good back up to have. He offers something that we don't have.

And if he comes in out of shape with a bad attitude, and Dixon doesn't man up........we will draft a running back in the draft.

More competition for players that they are trying to get better performance out of, not to mention Frank Gore and Hunter are going to come with their A game too.

And it gives us more flexibility if someone goes down. I like it.

+1
I'm guessing they asked our D what it was like to tackle Brandon Jacobs before they gave him an offer.

It covers us at RB for a year. Next year's RB class is strong, so we pick up Gore's replacement in 2013.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
like it. he's here to convert 3rd and 1's. that's it. I just hope he came cheap.
I'd like ,the Jacobs of a couple of years ago, but not the soft running 265 lb'er who runs like a 165 lb'er of now. We already have a guy who weighs alot but doesn't use his size advantage in Dixon. If Gore goes down, as I suspect he will at some time this season, sure, Kendall is there, but can we count on Jacobs to do the heavy lifting when necessary? I hope he realizes he's got something to prove and goes about doing it!
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I'd like ,the Jacobs of a couple of years ago, but not the soft running 265 lb'er who runs like a 165 lb'er of now. We already have a guy who weighs alot but doesn't use his size advantage in Dixon. If Gore goes down, as I suspect he will at some time this season, sure, Kendall is there, but can we count on Jacobs to do the heavy lifting when necessary? I hope he realizes he's got something to prove and goes about doing it!

It's obvious why we brought him in. He's here to teach Dixon some of his super soft dance moves. Together they make a 500lb 2 man ballet team.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM ]
17 of 24 conversions of 3rd and short last year. How many for the Niners.. errr 1-13 in the NFCC game and during the year the same story ergo our BIG STAR Akers.. If Jacobs does close to this it's a big deal, this is what he is being bought in to to do expressly. Anyone thinks diff has lost it.

It's still the Tank and Hunter as change of pace, I think Boobie's got a tough road to hoe. All those who "meh" at this signing will change yer damn tune when you see our third down conversion numbers spike..that is all......................
Competition baby. Love it. He's definetley an upgrade over Dixon.
I like it. It's another low-risk, high reward signing by the FO. We build through the draft and sign those guys long-term, then give short & cheap contracts to veteran free agents looking for a second chance. For every Braylon Edwards there's a Carlos Rogers, these could be just the pieces that we need to put us over the hump and win a championship.
Well, the niners played the Giants twice, so the team knows him very well and obviously they see something there, besides I am sure the price is right.

As for affecting the draft. You can't get everything you want in the draft. Lets face it can be a crap shot even for the best at it. Bill Walsh made hsi maistakes. This just gives lead way to manuever. After all there is only one pick in each round and it is at the end. You can't go into the draft getting everything you want, especially when you never know who is going to pull what trigger. Let's wait and see, I think he will be satisfactory. Why reach in a draft if nothing is there, meaning the depth of talent. Using a high pick (3 or higher), now when Gore still has a year or two left is not a sound investment. If you pick a RB next year, then have him spot gore, by the next season it'll right, right now it is not the most pressing need. Guard-we need a starter or at least a b/u), saftey-(Dashon is riding on a FA tendor), TE-Walker in his last year and this is a TE run driven offense, WR-even if Moss turns out to be gang busters-he'll be gone cause someone wants and gives him a ridiculus amount.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Jacobs is gonna get carries whether Gore gets hurt or not, Harbs loves keeping his RB's fresh and healthy

We really didnt have that option last year, we tried to pound it with Hunter, but he just isnt that type of back

Jacobs is also good at staying in and picking up the blitz, I think thats the big reason we brought him in instead of going with a rookie

Im pretty confident us fans will be happy with the move 6 months from now

Wonder if he tries to pay off Spillman for #27, Spill should ask for alot, that a good # to give up
[ Edited by cools on Mar 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM ]

I don't see Gore and Jacobs both making the team next year. They're both clearly on the downside of their careers, and neither seems to be starting material right now. I think the brass keeps the better player, along with Kendall Hunter and a draft pick.
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY
Originally posted by SBinMT:
I don't see Gore and Jacobs both making the team next year. They're both clearly on the downside of their careers, and neither seems to be starting material right now. I think the brass keeps the better player, along with Kendall Hunter and a draft pick.

wut
IN HARBAALKE I TRUST!
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by SBinMT:

wut

It might be RayshawnJackson reincarnated.
Share 49ersWebzone