There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012 Salary Cap

I hope our guys take notice of this

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/10/rodney-harrison-says-mario-williams-wont-win-in-buffalo/

stay with a winner and take less money
[ Edited by jreff22 on Sep 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
If our cap space is getting this tight, I don't understand the Josh Johnson signing, when we have no starting right guard or back-up center. I think these are glaring holes, unless Kilgore steps up. I would have rather seen us address these needs in free agency than adding a 4th quarterback. Now we are pretty much forced to use a couple of high draft picks on these needs.

I think they wanted to bring in Josh Johnson to push Kaepernick, and give the 49ers a reliable backup QB, not saying Kaep can't be one, just he isn't yet.

We could still add a RG, like a Leonard Davis on a minimum deal worth $925K, with a $50K bonus.

Damn AB!!! You called this 5-6 months ago! you are DA MAN!!!

hahaha, yeah I knew somehow we would add Davis eventually.

Anyone know how much of Carlos Rogers contract was guaranteed. I would like to know the cap hit if he gets released.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Anyone know how much of Carlos Rogers contract was guaranteed. I would like to know the cap hit if he gets released.

we aren't releasing him
Originally posted by jreff22:

we aren't releasing him

5 mil signing bonus... and THIS.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

we aren't releasing him

2013: 7.1 mill
2014: 7.85 million
2015: 8.85 million

You better believe he is on the block if he fails to produce. We don't have the cap room for him at all.

we aren't releasing him

You better believe he is on the block if he fails to produce. We don't have the cap room for him at all.

Oh, I suspect Rogers will be released after 2014 unless he has tremendous seasons in between.

we aren't releasing him

Oh, I suspect Rogers will be released after 2014 unless he has tremendous seasons in between.

That's kind of what I was thinking too.
I dont get the Rogers hating, he has been great for us in his 2 seasons here. Just because he is going on 32 doesn't mean he is on the down hill, Justin Smith is getting up there, but is still productive.

Yes our Cap isn't the best, but so is the same for everyone. We will clear room by extending J.Smith, Akers, Whitner, then releasing Haralson and maybe Goodwin.

I dont see why we should pay 7-8m for Goldson when Rogers is better at CB than Goldson is at FS. People overrate Goldson.
I dont get the Rogers hating, he has been great for us in his 2 seasons here. Just because he is going on 32 doesn't mean he is on the down hill, Justin Smith is getting up there, but is still productive.

Yes our Cap isn't the best, but so is the same for everyone. We will clear room by extending J.Smith, Akers, Whitner, then releasing Haralson and maybe Goodwin.

I dont see why we should pay 7-8m for Goldson when Rogers is better at CB than Goldson is at FS. People overrate Goldson.

goldson is a bad ass, doe.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

I agree Goldson is a good FS, just not a better FS than Rogers is as a CB. And I wouldn't pay Goldson more than 6M a yr.

I agree Goldson is a good FS, just not a better FS than Rogers is as a CB. And I wouldn't pay Goldson more than 6M a yr.

Goldson is on the verge of elite, IMO. He's the hardest hitting safety in the league and and he's one of the top ballhawks. He occasionally has lapses in coverage, but I see that from all DBs. I we don't extend him, he's going to get rich in free agency. Teams would kill to have a DB that good in space and is as talented as a starting LB against the run.
[ Edited by strickac on Oct 5, 2012 at 1:17 PM ]

I'm not trying to hate on him at all. I very much appreciate what Rogers brings to the team. We just have serious cap problems with multiple young up coming players that will coomand as high of salaries as Rogers. We will have to decide to sign the young players, let go ic them, or cut other guys. I would love to keep him, but if just doesn't seem possible.

I don't know about the comparison but goldson is the real deal.
Question:

Its clear that this team will live and die by its defense and run game. Therefore, it would only make sense that we do whatever we have to to keep those units together. The Oline is locked up and so are the RBs. However, I can't help but to think how important Bowman and Goldson are to this team and they still dont have long term deals. I think you can make an very strong argument that either of those two are more imporant to the team than the current QB. So here is my question.

Would cutting Alex next year save enough cap space to allow us to extend Goldson and Bowman? Obviously, this only works if Kap isn't a complete flop. If Kap is good enough, his salary is so low it would be like having a QB for free.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home