LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

2012 Salary Cap

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There's also that fat chunk of Willis' salary that was intentionally put into this year to save future years. Something like $17 million wasn't it?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I think they wanted to bring in Josh Johnson to push Kaepernick, and give the 49ers a reliable backup QB, not saying Kaep can't be one, just he isn't yet.

We could still add a RG, like a Leonard Davis on a minimum deal worth $925K, with a $50K bonus.
i think that is exactly what we will do, we will draft a kid and then can sign davis extra cheap. Given our cap space he is our best choice and besides we will know by draft time of his health and we know he is not going anywhere
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacguy08:
There's also that fat chunk of Willis' salary that was intentionally put into this year to save future years. Something like $17 million wasn't it?

Yup.

Was like 12M extra into 2012.

That's kind of nice, taking that one time hit to make way for future years. It's nice to be in this kind of shape as opposed to the big Garcia, Owens, Hearst purge.
damn our roster post 2013 will look a lot different

That's kind of nice, taking that one time hit to make way for future years. It's nice to be in this kind of shape as opposed to the big Garcia, Owens, Hearst purge.

I seem to remember we eat a ton of Gabe Wilkins salary for many years after he p,ayed for us. The same with Bent Jones.

Hey, at least we aren't the Mets who are still paying Bobby Bonilla 1mill or so per year.
Alright so I have been reading some salary cap articles lately and I am sure you guys have as well but Pro Football Talk has us ranked dead last in salary cap space this season. I know it's still early but I am kind of stressing out about this. I don't want us to go back to the salary cap hell we were in a couple years ago. How are we going to free up space for the next off-season? Is it possible to re-sign our main guys (Goldson, Soap, Walker, Ginn) this off-season as well as sign Bowman to a long term deal in the future?
Originally posted by PrimeTime:
Alright so I have been reading some salary cap articles lately and I am sure you guys have as well but Pro Football Talk has us ranked dead last in salary cap space this season. I know it's still early but I am kind of stressing out about this. I don't want us to go back to the salary cap hell we were in a couple years ago. How are we going to free up space for the next off-season? Is it possible to re-sign our main guys (Goldson, Soap, Walker, Ginn) this off-season as well as sign Bowman to a long term deal in the future?

in short no, some will walk

a few contracts will need to be restructured by adding years but we don't have the money to be flexible.....the draft will need to fill a lot of holes
Originally posted by jreff22:

in short no, some will walk

a few contracts will need to be restructured by adding years but we don't have the money to be flexible.....the draft will need to fill a lot of holes

Also, Willis' contract has the majority of the $$$ this year ($17M), so there will be a quite a bit of a drop from that. I also wouldn't be surprised if Frank Gore was restructured next year as well.

I doubt we resign Soap. He will command a big salary and I don't see that much of a drop-off with RJF in there (plus high draft pick). Walker as well could walk, but the NFL is going more toward 2 legit TEs / team, so I can see us prioritizing him. Goldson will definitely be gone, we lucked out last year, and this year we're paying more than we'd like, but we retained him. Next year, he'll command big money too.

I'd like us to resign J.Smith and N.Bowman during this year. It will definitely be worth noting as we go forward.
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Sep 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM ]

Yeah, not the best time to be worrying about this. I don't have all the answers, but we'll be okay. We will probably save a bunch by dumping Goodwin and Haralson. Maybe we get Cowboy restructured. We won't have a ton of cap room, but we don't have a ton of needs either. Goldson will probably be out of our budget range, unless he has a mediocre season. Gotta look into getting Sopo +/or RJF back for reasonable money. AB83 probably has this all figured out.. but I ain't gonna worry about this... all attention on GB.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Also, Willis' contract has the majority of the $$$ this year ($17M), so there will be a quite a bit of a drop from that. I also wouldn't be surprised if Frank Gore was restructured next year as well.

I doubt we resign Soap. He will command a big salary and I don't see that much of a drop-off with RJF in there (plus high draft pick). Walker as well could walk, but the NFL is going more toward 2 legit TEs / team, so I can see us prioritizing him. Goldson will definitely be gone, we lucked out last year, and this year we're paying more than we'd like, but we retained him. Next year, he'll command big money too.

I'd like us to resign J.Smith and N.Bowman during this year. It will definitely be worth noting as we go forward.

Not so sure about that, but we'll see.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Yeah, not the best time to be worrying about this. I don't have all the answers, but we'll be okay. We will probably save a bunch by dumping Goodwin and Haralson. Maybe we get Cowboy restructured. We won't have a ton of cap room, but we don't have a ton of needs either. Goldson will probably be out of our budget range, unless he has a mediocre season. Gotta look into getting Sopo +/or RJF back for reasonable money. AB83 probably has this all figured out.. but I ain't gonna worry about this... all attention on GB.

I'm not worried about 2013, we are about $3.5 million under right now for '13 season. Goodwin would save $4M and Haralson $2.87M cap room wise if cut.

Justin Smith carries a $7.5M base salary, which can be cut down and prorated into a signing bonus while adding on a few more years to his contract.

Some others can be done, Whitner and Akers have bigger salaries, in the $3M range. So we could cut them down to minimum and extend them a few more seasons.

All in all, we could save between 1.5M for both Whitner and Akers, and another 6M for Justin Smith by extensions.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
If our cap space is getting this tight, I don't understand the Josh Johnson signing, when we have no starting right guard or back-up center. I think these are glaring holes, unless Kilgore steps up. I would have rather seen us address these needs in free agency than adding a 4th quarterback. Now we are pretty much forced to use a couple of high draft picks on these needs.

I think they wanted to bring in Josh Johnson to push Kaepernick, and give the 49ers a reliable backup QB, not saying Kaep can't be one, just he isn't yet.

We could still add a RG, like a Leonard Davis on a minimum deal worth $925K, with a $50K bonus.

Damn AB!!! You called this 5-6 months ago! you are DA MAN!!!
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
If our cap space is getting this tight, I don't understand the Josh Johnson signing, when we have no starting right guard or back-up center. I think these are glaring holes, unless Kilgore steps up. I would have rather seen us address these needs in free agency than adding a 4th quarterback. Now we are pretty much forced to use a couple of high draft picks on these needs.

Damn AB!!! You called this 5-6 months ago! you are DA MAN!!!

hahaha, yeah I knew somehow we would add Davis eventually.
Share 49ersWebzone