There are 135 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012 Salary Cap

OK, I searched and this seems like a legitimate new topic

From what I am calculating we are looking pretty tight for signing our rooks. Ginn and Johnson signings have implications for other players under contract.
Does that mean that we anticipate losing or cutting some vets with cap heavy contracts? (Grant?)
I'm surprised we didn't sign him if only to be in a position to trade him.
We do have 62 (maybe more) players under contract, so maybe some of those contracts were designed to be cap casualties.
Forget about Williams or Stewart unless we are ready to clean house.
AB
What are your thoughts on this, surely you are noticing that something will have to give here.
I am very happy with our off season, but I am anticipating some moves that will be gut wrenching before this is all over.

AB go ahead and regulate on this topic for us.
Originally posted by sfniner:

From what I am calculating we are looking pretty tight for signing our rooks. Ginn and Johnson signings have implications for other players under contract.
Does that mean that we anticipate losing or cutting some vets with cap heavy contracts? (Grant?)
We do have 62 (maybe more) players under contract, so maybe some of those contracts were designed to be cap casualties.
AB
What are your thoughts on this, surely you are noticing that something will have to give here.
I am very happy with our off season, but I am anticipating some moves that will be gut wrenching before this is all over.

I can see Grant being let go of, especially if he gets an offer that is deemed too much.

We have 64 players committed, with 62 signed, and 2 Tendered(Goldson as Franchised and Grant as RFA).

We are up close to the cap, but it isn't as bad it seems. Moves can be made, Goldson can be extended and lower his $6.212M number, plus Sopoaga has a $3.8M base salary which can be lowered down to 825K and save over 2M. Plus Haralson needs to be addressed. His 2.75M salary is too much for a backup.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

AB

I can see Grant being let go of, especially if he gets an offer that is deemed too much.

We have 64 players committed, with 62 signed, and 2 Tendered(Goldson as Franchised and Grant as RFA).

We are up close to the cap, but it isn't as bad it seems. Moves can be made, Goldson can be extended and lower his $6.212M number, plus Sopoaga has a $3.8M base salary which can be lowered down to 825K and save over 2M. Plus Haralson needs to be addressed. His 2.75M salary is too much for a backup.
I worry about pushing cap hits into the future. I seem to remember a dynasty crumbled when the offensive line was dowsized to make up for dead money and backsided contracts.

We have positioned ourselves so well in this off season. Let's not get carried away at the expense of future seasons.
from what I heard, the cap is supposed to go up substantially in coming years once the TV Revenue sharing kicks in.
When the caps go up, so do prices. You can't build a team by betting on increases to bail you out.
When the caps go up, so do prices. You can't build a team by betting on increases to bail you out.

It's not about bailing you out. It's a given that the cap will get as high at 180M by 2015, possibly 2014. Yes players salaries will rise, but not where every team needs to make cap cuts. The league isn't gonna lower or have same cap each year since salaries do go up each year. This year is different, with the new TV deal not in place yet. Also in 2013 the new spending limit begins, which is around 90% of the teams cap, or 99% of the entire NFL.

I know I say it a lot, but this team has set us up to where we shouldn't worry about cap room in future seasons.

It's not about bailing you out. It's a given that the cap will get as high at 180M by 2015, possibly 2014. Yes players salaries will rise, but not where every team needs to make cap cuts. The league isn't gonna lower or have same cap each year since salaries do go up each year. This year is different, with the new TV deal not in place yet. Also in 2013 the new spending limit begins, which is around 90% of the teams cap, or 99% of the entire NFL.

I know I say it a lot, but this team has set us up to where we shouldn't worry about cap room in future seasons.

sfniner....AB is always right about the cap stuff....AB what do we need to do to lower Soap's # to only 825K?
ab is like superman, always there when we need him
Originally posted by matt49er:

sfniner....AB is always right about the cap stuff....AB what do we need to do to lower Soap's # to only 825K?

Yeah it should be either $825K or $750K. Not sure off top of my head.
If our cap space is getting this tight, I don't understand the Josh Johnson signing, when we have no starting right guard or back-up center. I think these are glaring holes, unless Kilgore steps up. I would have rather seen us address these needs in free agency than adding a 4th quarterback. Now we are pretty much forced to use a couple of high draft picks on these needs.
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
If our cap space is getting this tight, I don't understand the Josh Johnson signing, when we have no starting right guard or back-up center. I think these are glaring holes, unless Kilgore steps up. I would have rather seen us address these needs in free agency than adding a 4th quarterback. Now we are pretty much forced to use a couple of high draft picks on these needs.

I think they wanted to bring in Josh Johnson to push Kaepernick, and give the 49ers a reliable backup QB, not saying Kaep can't be one, just he isn't yet.

We could still add a RG, like a Leonard Davis on a minimum deal worth $925K, with a $50K bonus.
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:

Maybe Tolzan (sp) is not the 3rd string we thought he was
Originally posted by darkknight49:
from what I heard, the cap is supposed to go up substantially in coming years once the TV Revenue sharing kicks in.

I was just reading something from the Pats owners where he says it's set up for that he salary cap to increase slowly year by year. And that it won't take a major jump like some assume. And that any team thinking it's going up to 180/200 million in one off season are setting themselves up for failure.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by darkknight49:

I was just reading something from the Pats owners where he says it's set up for that he salary cap to increase slowly year by year. And that it won't take a major jump like some assume. And that any team thinking it's going up to 180/200 million in one off season are setting themselves up for failure.

Read that too. I think the NFLPA will fight that. Salaries are going up each year, and players get cut year after year. No way the cap Shouldn't go up, it better, or else teams will be in cap hell. Because spending isn't gonna stop just because the league won't raise the salary cap.