There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is this the year we finally see the mythical and lengendary functional Alex Smith?

Is this the year we finally see the mythical and lengendary functional Alex Smith?

Originally posted by merm49:
I'd been mentioning this quote every time I discussed our QB situation in the run-up to and early stages of FA with other non-Niner fans.

While I'm not going to hold my breath, I will admit the possibility does exist that he comes out like a whole different player. He certainly has the ability to make big throws in the moments that matter most, and I can't think of a better coaching staff for Smith to have his first offseason in the same system with. The good news is he proved last year he can be a solid, good-not-great, game managing QB who doesn't lose you games; the question now is if he develops into the kind of QB that can CONSISTENTLY win you games (the comebacks were great and are great for the future, but remember that we often ended up needing comebacks only after the O faltered).

That said, I just feel that it's his personality, his nature, to be overly cautious--especially after the beating he took in his rookie year and 2007. I don't think that's gonna change, though I hope it does and that Urban Meyers until now prophetic words (i.e., struggles until he knows an offense) prove true.

I think he can be better than what we have seen. I don't know how much better. But this year will tell you more than what we have seen in all prior years.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Nope gonna see the same old overly careful Alex. It's just who he is

It's not who he was at Utah. They scored 50 a game sometimes. He was a gunslinger and a bomb thrower. I've seen a totally different guy in the pros.

gimmick offense that even made Chris Leak and Tebow look good.

It's not who he was at Utah. They scored 50 a game sometimes. He was a gunslinger and a bomb thrower. I've seen a totally different guy in the pros.

The fact remains he did score a lot and was not conservative or careful in any way. It wasn't his tempermant in college. He tried to score as much as possible rather than check down and be careful.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

I've got a feeling you're wrong on this one.

I don't think you're just hating. I can see your point and agree that it's been a problem.

I just have a feeling that he lets it fly this season... for better or worse.

Then we'll know if he's capable of doing it. If not, easy out next offseason.

If yes, Super Bowl?
  • sfout
  • Veteran

its okay, people who didnt watch him in college can only go off the nfl. Urban knows what he is talking about, hopefully it really is the "magic" 2nd year or he'll be kicked to the curb for JJ/CK in a second.

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
2012 should be the final end all, be all, no excuses, now or never season of his 49er tenure. I can't imagine he won't improve over last year. The question is will it be enough. We need to see fewer big plays left on the field.

it basically is when you look at the contract. If he underperforms or JJ or CK over perform the FO can cut Alex for nothing more then a $8M cap hit.

Per a source with direct knowledge of the real numbers, here's what Smith will receive:

1. No signing bonus.

2. $5 million base salary in 2012, fully guaranteed.

3. $3 million non-guaranteed roster bonus in 2012.

4. $7.5 million base salary in 2013, fully guaranteed.

5. $1 million non-guaranteed roster bonus in 2013.

6. $7.5 million non-guaranteed base salary in 2014.

7. Incentives worth up to $1.25 million annually.

So that's $12.5 million in fully guaranteed money. The $16.5 million figure likely comes from the assumption that the roster bonuses will be paid in 2012 and 2013. But that doesn't make them guaranteed.

its pro bowl or bust at this point after how he played in the playoffs and with those clutch game winning drives last season. As a Utah fan I want nothing more then to see Alex completely become an "elite" if not simply just an unquestioned quality QB. Hopefully he does it, if not then its on to CK/JJ. lol.

The fact remains he did score a lot and was not conservative or careful in any way. It wasn't his tempermant in college. He tried to score as much as possible rather than check down and be careful.

In college open is two yards in the NFL open is much less. Fitting the ball into tight windows consistently has never been his strong point. Go back and watch his college tape and you will see his receivers wide open, you don't see that in the NFL.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

I've got a feeling you're wrong on this one.

I don't think you're just hating. I can see your point and agree that it's been a problem.

I just have a feeling that he lets it fly this season... for better or worse.

Then we'll know if he's capable of doing it. If not, easy out next offseason.

If yes, Super Bowl?

I hope you are right and I'm wrong.
I am really excited to see what he can do, there is no doubt the offense's and Alex's stats and performance will be a step above what it was last year.

Smith at Utah

2003: 2247 yards, 15 tds, 3 ints, 65%, 152.3 rating (first full year starting)
2004: 2952 yards, 32 tds, 4 ints, 67.5%, 176.5 rating

Improvement in every area, dramatic in some cases like how he more than doubled his touchdowns thrown but threw only 1 more interception. I think we see some very good improvements next year.

maybe his shoulder injuries mess up his arm a lil. i hope not but just a thought
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Mar 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
I can not believe you started an Alex Smith thread.

What are you thinking?

Mike Nolan had his way with Alex, rubbed his loins all over his young 21-year-old baby butter-milk skin body. -Nolan worked him over, tied him up, and rubbed some more until his innocence finally died.

After that, Alex was always afraid to fail... or the bad man would come back...
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Mar 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM ]
still believe in alex.

you can do it bro.
Well he will have the same offense for the first time and that's huge. He has a coach that knows football, knows how to run an offense and how to develop a quarterback. I think Alex has the most confidence since he's had in his pro career.

He also had to deal with the Manning chase in the offseason, and the Niners picked up Josh Johnson and he has the most competition that he's ever had as a quarterback.

Do you think he's going to bring it? Oh yeah......it's on for this year. Hopefully the Niners open up the offense so he can "Explode."
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Well he will have the same offense for the first time and that's huge. He has a coach that knows football, knows how to run an offense and how to develop a quarterback. I think Alex has the most confidence since he's had in his pro career.

He also had to deal with the Manning chase in the offseason, and the Niners picked up Josh Johnson and he has the most competition that he's ever had as a quarterback.

Do you think he's going to bring it? Oh yeah......it's on for this year. Hopefully the Niners open up the offense so he can "Explode."

I def think this year Alex will say "come at me bro"
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:

This year he has many things going for him.

• Year 2 with the same offensive scheme
  • Most weapons than he has ever had
  • Intelligent coaches
  • Support from the fans
  • Amazing D and ST

While the 4th one might not be 100 percent, it's more true than any other year in the past (besides early in career). When we were going after Peyton, many people wanted Alex instead. If this was last year, I don't think anybody would have chosen Alex over Peyton. A lot changed in a year. Hopefully we see even more change for the better this next coming year. I'm more excited for this next season than I have in a while.