There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers sign QB Josh Johnson

Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
This isn't a complicated move, Harbaugh is a guy who groom's QB's. Andy Reid has that same reputation in the league. The Eagles consistently develop and trade qb's for draft picks as teams feel their QB's are well prepared and seem to trade for them (see kolb and even aj feeley were traded for 2nd rd picks)

Harbaugh is a QB groomer, the niners are taking on as many talented qb's on the roster to groom and let them compete, and if/when the opportunity comes up we can move a QB for a high draft pick.

This isn't a move that speaks negatively of Kaepernick or anything of the sort, the goal is to have as much talent as possible at the QB position on all levels of the depth chart. Competition breeds success.

Is it? Or it is something more........SINISTER??????

I think Harbaugh is racist against white QBs. He's trying to keep his job and subtly get rid of all the white QBs on our team at the same time. Once Garrard was snagged from under our nose, he had no choice but to sign Smith for the time being, but he must be very disappointed inside.

LOL.....he's the first coach in the NFL to go after "black QBs" and "White Wrs." Dudes confused....
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickV:
OVER OR UNDER 30 PAGES??

looks like we went over
OVER OR UNDER 30 PAGES??

looks like we went over

In two days . . .
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
It doesn't really speak against any of the QBs and it's just the team covering it's bases.

Here's what I think the logic behind the signing is.

The team is still unsure and uncommitted to Alex Smith so if Smith doesn't show any significant signs of growth this season than the team will cut him loose go with CK and have JJ as the backup.

If Smith shows some serious signs of growth and plays at a high level they'll continue to go with Smith, CK will be the backup, and JJ will likely be cut loose.

Tolizen they'll likely gamble with and put him on the practice squad. If he doesn't get picked up and they still like him he'll be back on the roster the following year.

And you, sir, get the prize for perfect logic. Though I think they'll trade the surplus QB rather than waive him.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by 9erempire:
People have to remember that 3rd stringers are garbage. The only reason why there is a 3rd stringer is because they need another guy to throw in practice.

There has to be that one dude that can throw and knows the offense when the first team is running plays together.

Yes. This is always true.

Tom Brady was never a third string QB.
You folks need to get your facts straight. The Patriots made the unusual decision to carry four quarterbacks (instead of three) on the roster. Brady started the season as the fourth string quarterback, behind Drew Bledsoe and backups John Friesz and Michael Bishop, at season's end, he was number two on the depth chart behind Bledsoe. His rookie season, he was 1-of-3 passing, for six yards.

Other QBs who became starters (not saying they were great) but at one time were third stringers, how about Marc Bulger or this one Warner.

As for JJ, he has playing experience. Kaep may look great in camp, but has less experience and none as a starter. None of you know how talented or not any of these guys are and if they can make it with our system. If you know and can guarentee it then you should be in the NFL or at least at scout. Easy to air chair coach and second guess. If Alex can become a better and steady QB, why not JJ? It could be argued that maybe the TB coaches were not good at developing a QB, that reuniting with JH, JJ will progress and have his abilities maximized by JH, just as Alex is hoping. Unless you are making the argument that as QB whisperers, TB is better?

You can never have enough QB's to develope, you could say you are taking the Shotgun shooting in a barrel approach, you bound to hit something, unless you don't know how to load, cock, aim, release the saftey and shot a shotgun.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
People have to remember that 3rd stringers are garbage. The only reason why there is a 3rd stringer is because they need another guy to throw in practice.

There has to be that one dude that can throw and knows the offense when the first team is running plays together.

You folks need to get your facts straight. The Patriots made the unusual decision to carry four quarterbacks (instead of three) on the roster. Brady started the season as the fourth string quarterback, behind Drew Bledsoe and backups John Friesz and Michael Bishop, at season's end, he was number two on the depth chart behind Bledsoe. His rookie season, he was 1-of-3 passing, for six yards.

Other QBs who became starters (not saying they were great) but at one time were third stringers, how about Marc Bulger or this one Warner.

As for JJ, he has playing experience. Kaep may look great in camp, but has less experience and none as a starter. None of you know how talented or not any of these guys are and if they can make it with our system. If you know and can guarentee it then you should be in the NFL or at least at scout. Easy to air chair coach and second guess. If Alex can become a better and steady QB, why not JJ? It could be argued that maybe the TB coaches were not good at developing a QB, that reuniting with JH, JJ will progress and have his abilities maximized by JH, just as Alex is hoping. Unless you are making the argument that as QB whisperers, TB is better?

You can never have enough QB's to develope, you could say you are taking the Shotgun shooting in a barrel approach, you bound to hit something, unless you don't know how to load, cock, aim, release the saftey and shot a shotgun.

I was being sarcastic.
Originally posted by WildBill:

I was being sarcastic.

I got that
I like this signing because we have the same first name
Originally posted by blake6905:
I like this signing because we have the same first name

Good thing you don't run the front office, we would have scobee instead of Akers. Lol
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Johnson Highlights

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81323973/WK-4-Josh-Johnson-highlights
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8135237f/WK-5-Josh-Johnson-highlights
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d813adb92/WK-7-Josh-Johnson-highlights
http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/nfl-draft/NFL-Draft-Josh-Johnson-Highlights-472

The kid obviously has some IMMENSE physical tools - superior athlete, above average arm strength, and very accurate both from the pocket and on the run. In each of these departments, he's better than Alex - hands down. However, he does make some poor decisions with the football. For this reason, Alex holds onto the starting spot in the short term - but you cant keep talent like this down for long. I personally see him beating out Kaepernick for the backup role this coming year and quickly positioning himself as a potential long term solution for us at the QB position - assuming he's able to fully absorb the play book (shouldn't be a problem given prior experience w/ Harbaugh) and improve his decision making.

Obviously quite an assertion to make based on a few highlight reels, but screw it - why not

WOW.....thanks for posting!

Dude can ball. If he can learn to make better decision and not feel he has to gun it all the time, he has a ton of promise. Thinking about him paired with Harbaugh makes me giddy. I dont think he would be ready to start this year, but next.....

He sure looked like he had impressive potential in the clips I watched. His INTs against PHI were all bad decisions against the blitz, which seems to be a young guy taking his lumps, figuring out how many college tricks he can't get away with anymore. The INT against CAR was similar, as Thomas Davis climbed the ladder to get that ball in a way that most college LBs would not be capable of. He had some other bad decisions, but it looked like he was running for his life back there (like Alex in 2005), and there is no way to overemphasize how much bettr a QB can be w/time.

I don't know if he WILL be good, but he certainly has all of the tools (except height )
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
He sure looked like he had impressive potential in the clips I watched. His INTs against PHI were all bad decisions against the blitz, which seems to be a young guy taking his lumps, figuring out how many college tricks he can't get away with anymore. The INT against CAR was similar, as Thomas Davis climbed the ladder to get that ball in a way that most college LBs would not be capable of. He had some other bad decisions, but it looked like he was running for his life back there (like Alex in 2005), and there is no way to overemphasize how much bettr a QB can be w/time.

I don't know if he WILL be good, but he certainly has all of the tools (except height )

he's 6-3. when that become too short to play QB? Once you get above 6-2 you're more then tall enough to see effectively in the pocket.
My brother-in-law played against him in college. He told me about one play Johnson made against his team where the LB had Johnson's legs wrapped and he still threw a 60 yard deep ball. I'm doubting it was 60 yards, but his arm strenght and tight delivery are elite.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM ]
My brother-in-law played against him in college. He told me about one play Johnson made against his team where the LB had Johnson's legs wrapped and he still threw a 60 yard deep ball. I'm doubting it was 60 yards, but his arm strenght and tight delivery are elite.

In one of the videos posted on this site Johnson threw a thirty yard bullet while falling backwards. Tells me his arm is strong enough. It is so amazing to have this much talent at the QB position but JH likes to create competition and these guys will be fun to watch! Wish we could see into the QB meetings where Cryst (and sometimes JH) hold daily quizzes to keep the QBs on their toes.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

In one of the videos posted on this site Johnson threw a thirty yard bullet while falling backwards. Tells me his arm is strong enough. It is so amazing to have this much talent at the QB position but JH likes to create competition and these guys will be fun to watch! Wish we could see into the QB meetings where Cryst (and sometimes JH) hold daily quizzes to keep the QBs on their toes.

Agreed. This is nothing but good news for the team. Smith at the very least is a very solid starter and CK and JJ are very talented prospects.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Agreed. This is nothing but good news for the team. Smith at the very least is a very solid starter and CK and JJ are very talented prospects.

this sums up the whole thing very very well, if everyone thought like this we would not have almost 40 pages .i know some are being hysterical(which is wrote the book on) about the prospect of losing scott t but if we do I really think we are going to survive, to the best of my knowledge, cody picket, otis arney, korey sheets, jason hill and nate davis, who were all flavors of the month, never were a difference maker after they left us