LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 347 users in the forums

QB Josh Johnson

Shop 49ers game tickets
If JH can make Smith look good after 6 subpar seasons, he may be able to make Josh into a legit QB.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Johnson Highlights

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81323973/WK-4-Josh-Johnson-highlights
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8135237f/WK-5-Josh-Johnson-highlights
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d813adb92/WK-7-Josh-Johnson-highlights
http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/nfl-draft/NFL-Draft-Josh-Johnson-Highlights-472

The kid obviously has some IMMENSE physical tools - superior athlete, above average arm strength, and very accurate both from the pocket and on the run. In each of these departments, he's better than Alex - hands down. However, he does make some poor decisions with the football. For this reason, Alex holds onto the starting spot in the short term - but you cant keep talent like this down for long. I personally see him beating out Kaepernick for the backup role this coming year and quickly positioning himself as a potential long term solution for us at the QB position - assuming he's able to fully absorb the play book (shouldn't be a problem given prior experience w/ Harbaugh) and improve his decision making.

Obviously quite an assertion to make based on a few highlight reels, but screw it - why not

WOW.....thanks for posting!

Dude can ball. If he can learn to make better decision and not feel he has to gun it all the time, he has a ton of promise. Thinking about him paired with Harbaugh makes me giddy. I dont think he would be ready to start this year, but next.....
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by 9erempire:
People have to remember that 3rd stringers are garbage. The only reason why there is a 3rd stringer is because they need another guy to throw in practice.

There has to be that one dude that can throw and knows the offense when the first team is running plays together.

Yes. This is always true.

Tom Brady was never a third string QB.
pawnedddddddddddddddddd
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Tell it to me in Star Wars: Josh Johnson is Luke Skywalker. He began his training under Yoda (Harbaugh). Now he wants to complete it.

Ummmmmmmmm... didn't Yoda DIE when Luke returned to finish his training?

Wow, geek fail. Luke didn't begin his training with Yoda... he began with Obi-wan.

HA, Beerows is busted! Luke started his training under Obi-wan, continued under Yoda, then returned to complete his training w/Yoda, who decided to hang it up after a measly 400 years of Jedi service (dirtbag). You'd think Beerows would be a better nerd with his clever sarcasm and 114 pound physique.

Well you can think of Josh's high school coach as Obi Wan and Harbaugh as yoda in college and in the pros. BTW Wrathman, I thought yoda said when 900 years (or 800) years you have trained jedi look this good will you? (opps must hide my geek card - can't let others know.)

Yeah, you win. Would you believe... I intentionally write one or two errors into my geekisms to keep my head outta the toilet and my drawers outta my asscrack?

Yeah... me neither
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Drus, with a terrific HC/OC/QB coach, I think just the opposite. I believe alex will play so well this yr that they will want to securely lock him up. Plus, we start this season with alex finally having the same HC /OC/QB coach that he had last yr, and that's a first for him. I don't think it accidental that the first yr alex has the proper and stable coaching, plus excellent team around him, that he played so well. His QB rating, for the record was basically within a point of Peyton's last full season, around 91for both...at about half the cost. Not comparing alex to peyton, but valuewise, we would have made an exceptionally bad deal with Peyton. Fortunately, it didn't occur. The other thing is way before season was over, alex had for receivers: Vernon, williams, and craps. That's it. Zippo except for vernon. This season he has Mario, vernon, moss, williams, craps, walker, and probably 3 or 4 WRs thru draft and UDFA. Man there is a lot of stuff around him right now that just wasn't there last season. My guess is for alex to have a helluva season this yr, assuming we can plug in the OG, which was problematic last yr. I bet that is fixed by opening day. Alex's future is all in his own hands. My hunch is he takes it and runs with it. The D will be better, we got ginn back, the OL will be better minus rachal and snyder...jeez, if alex doesn't shine with all this abundance, I would be amazed. Remember, draft hasn't even started yet.

His key to success? Learning how to do his sequential reads faster, and more importantly, the OC calling quick slants and outs that move the chains. Quick as in
hike it and sling it. One steppers. That alone would have raised alex's QBR last yr by 10 pts. And that was an OC problem, not alex.

i make some crazy posts. this one however, ranks as one of the best ive read since ive been here.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
and this was going to be plan B if Alex left.....lol

Jim is a great coach but tihs thought that he can take anybody and make them effective is retarded. If that was the case we wouldnt of signed JJ, Jim's super hero QB powers would make Kap and Tolz magical.

But he's already done it with this guy at the college level..... The kid shattered records at SD state, didn't he?

College level....not NFL. And getting coached up to play the position better....really? What the hell did Jim do with him in college...tutor him in math? The kid has had Jim for multiple years in college and has had professional QB coaches for quite some time. Not every kid that study's under a specific coach will be good. A lot of people expect way too much from Jim and its going to disappoint people when reality hits, he is a great coach not a miracle worker. The position is not plug and play because Jim has a "QB friendly system", The QB himself has to have some form of talent to be effective, these guys at this point aren't little balls of clay waiting to be molded. Do I trust Jim in the QB department yes I do, do I expect him to make every guy good no way in hell.

Missing the point.

It's not just learning from Harbaugh. It's his SYSTEM.

The same system that had produced Andrew Luck and Alex Smiths best season (by far) as a pro.

The SYSTEM is very QB friendly and Josh is already familiar with it.

An example of what I'm talking about? They don't use hot reads. They use a different strategy to couter blitzes.

ya jj is familure with it. and a.s. is 4 times smarter than he is and has a whole year under his belt. ill be suprised if alex dosnt make the pro bowl this year. hell i said he would go to the pw last year after week 1 of the season...and my crazy prediction wasnt too far off either...
[ Edited by Humboldt9er on Mar 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM ]
Really excited that one of his main reasons for coming here was the coaching staff. Two years ago we had players retiring because of our coaching staff.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Really excited that one of his main reasons for coming here was the coaching staff. Two years ago we had players retiring because of our coaching staff.

That is nice, big difference.
This isn't a complicated move, Harbaugh is a guy who groom's QB's. Andy Reid has that same reputation in the league. The Eagles consistently develop and trade qb's for draft picks as teams feel their QB's are well prepared and seem to trade for them (see kolb and even aj feeley were traded for 2nd rd picks)

Harbaugh is a QB groomer, the niners are taking on as many talented qb's on the roster to groom and let them compete, and if/when the opportunity comes up we can move a QB for a high draft pick.

This isn't a move that speaks negatively of Kaepernick or anything of the sort, the goal is to have as much talent as possible at the QB position on all levels of the depth chart. Competition breeds success.
I think S. Tolzien showed great promise in preseason last year . Guess we will see who gets cut after preseason . I don't like josh johnson

Originally posted by susweel:
If they get rid of Tolzien this team can go to hell.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Really? Are you a Tolzien fan or a 49ers fan? You never cease to amaze me susweel.

Do you really think you know more about QB's than Harbaugh?

THIS!
I think Josh Johnson will be ok. But I am nowhere near excited about this signing as some other people on here are.
Originally posted by iLL49er:

This isn't a move that speaks negatively of Kaepernick or anything of the sort, the goal is to have as much talent as possible at the QB position on all levels of the depth chart. Competition breeds success.

Exactly! Such a simple concept yet so complicated for many on the zone to comprehend.
You can't put someone of his stature on a practice squad.
Originally posted by Jcool:
What is with 49ers fans and loving unproven low round or undrafted QBs? First its Nate Davis now its Tolzien.....
Originally posted by FRANKBLANCO415:
great move. bye bye to that bum Tolzien. I still dont understand why everyone thinks he is so great off of one preseason game against us. It makes me laugh how some people are complaining about this signing like harbaugh is making a mistake by picking him up and cutting tolzien. hilarious Nate Davis and JTO all over again.

100% Agree
If they get rid of Tolzien this team can go to hell.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Really? Are you a Tolzien fan or a 49ers fan? You never cease to amaze me susweel.

Do you really think you know more about QB's than Harbaugh?

THIS!
Share 49ersWebzone