Not a member? Register Now!

49ers sign QB Josh Johnson

he should wear #14 and break the curse of JTO
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Missing the point.

It's not just learning from Harbaugh. It's his SYSTEM.

The same system that had produced Andrew Luck and Alex Smiths best season (by far) as a pro.

The SYSTEM is very QB friendly and Josh is already familiar with it.

An example of what I'm talking about? They don't use hot reads. They use a different strategy to couter blitzes.

Whats the point the kid knows the system...so does Tavita Pritchard. It's QB friendly aaaaaaaand what?

Are you expecting him to push for the starting spot?

Who knows. Probably not this year.

He's a young player with potential to be good and he HAS been good in the sytem before.

I'm not arguing that "we just got our superstar QB". I'm just saying he has POTENTIAL to be more than just a backup and that I think it's a good signing.

He was good against inferior competition, that doesn't give me reason to think he will be good against NFL level competition which so far he hasn't been. You aren't saying it outright but I know what you are thinking and eluding to, you think he will be the starter in 2 years. If this kid was some kind of hidden gem I'm sure Jim would of made Trent trade for him last year, which he dint. He is familiar with the system which makes him a great camp arm but I think you are looking into this way to deep. Every new QB that comes to this team people go crazy for.... JTO, Hill, Troy, Kap, Tolz, JJ and the list will continue later on. I just don't get the excitement for a 3rd string guy.

Yes. It was inferior competiion.

However, no QB has EVER put up those numbers against ANY competition in College Football History. Ever. I won't just ignore that and say "scrub". Sorry.

I'm not eluding to anything. I just like the guy. I have no clue whatsoever how this will play out. I'm not making any predictions whatsoever. I just think the guy has a chance to be good and I like the signing.

I'm well aware of the zones fascination with these 3rd string QBs. I made a Youtube vid all about Nate Davis. I like Johnson FAR more than I ever liked Davis.

I just think that people who look at his NFL statline and make their decision based on that without ever having watched him play are missing the boat.

MARK MY WORDS: I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, I got no prob with that.

A couple weeks into the Preseason, Alex will look to be struggling because they haven't opened up the playbook. The team will look sluggish and vanilla and peeps will be calling for Alex's head. Then the 3rd QB on the roster will be lighting things up and all these peeps who say "not as good as Tolzien" or "scrub" will be saying "Make Johnson the STARTER!!!". Watch. Book it.

I'm not saying that it will be a logical argument. I'm just saying it'll happen.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM ]
Missing the point.

The same system that had produced Andrew Luck and Alex Smiths best season (by far) as a pro.

An example of what I'm talking about? They don't use hot reads. They use a different strategy to couter blitzes.

Whats the point the kid knows the system...so does Tavita Pritchard. It's QB friendly aaaaaaaand what?

He's a young player with potential to be good and he HAS been good in the sytem before.

I'm not arguing that "we just got our superstar QB". I'm just saying he has POTENTIAL to be more than just a backup and that I think it's a good signing.

He was good against inferior competition, that doesn't give me reason to think he will be good against NFL level competition which so far he hasn't been. You aren't saying it outright but I know what you are thinking and eluding to, you think he will be the starter in 2 years. If this kid was some kind of hidden gem I'm sure Jim would of made Trent trade for him last year, which he dint. He is familiar with the system which makes him a great camp arm but I think you are looking into this way to deep. Every new QB that comes to this team people go crazy for.... JTO, Hill, Troy, Kap, Tolz, JJ and the list will continue later on. I just don't get the excitement for a 3rd string guy.

However, no QB has EVER put up those numbers against ANY competition in College Football History. Ever. I won't just ignore that and say "scrub". Sorry.

I'm not eluding to anything. I just like the guy. I have no clue whatsoever how this will play out. I'm not making any predictions whatsoever. I just think the guy has a chance to be good and I like the signing.

I'm well aware of the zones fascination with these 3rd string QBs. I made a Youtube vid all about Nate Davis. I like Johnson FAR more than I ever liked Davis.

I just think that people who look at his NFL statline and make their decision based on that without ever having watched him play are missing the boat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_records#Passing
Missing the point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_records#Passing

OK, in FCS or FBS history. ;-)
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

I'm guessing #1.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

I'm guessing #1.

we shall see
Wonder how Josh is gonna feel about his cousin Marshawn Lynch up in Seattle getting on the pub when we play them twice a year.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Wonder how Josh is gonna feel about his cousin Marshawn Lynch up in Seattle getting on the pub when we play them twice a year.

Didn't know they was cousins.
Originally posted by susweel:

Yes sir, everyone in the football world around the bay knows that these boys are cousins.
They were beast dating back to their pop warner days.

Yes sir, everyone in the football world around the bay knows that these boys are cousins.

thanks for the knowledge.
Look at this;

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/seahawks-lynch-and-buccaneers-johnson-start-youth-foundation/

Damn . . . and I really though I was part of the Bay Area football world.
Look at this;

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/seahawks-lynch-and-buccaneers-johnson-start-youth-foundation/

"We've been able to touch kids at certain times," Lynch says. "Like Thanksgiving, giving away turkeys, and Christmas, giving away toys, and at our summer camp.

Look at this;

"We've been able to touch kids at certain times," Lynch says. "Like Thanksgiving, giving away turkeys, and Christmas, giving away toys, and at our summer camp.

lynch and johnson came to my HS 2 years ago said high to them

theyre relative was on the basketball team
Originally posted by 5280High:
First, Jim aint taking just "anybody" and putting them into his system, he is taking NFL quality talent and putting it in his system. So the thinking is if you give Jim H. a QB with a good arm, good brains, good motivation and work ethic, he can coach that player up to be successful within the system by ironing out mistakes and improving on technique. What happens after the snap all depends on the individual. But what Harbaugh has shown every where he's gone is that he can put a player in the best position to succeed after the snap. That's the fans mantra, and until Jim find a QB he cant coach up... so far it's just the truth.

Correct. He's looking for specific things. It's not just "I can take any QB". He is looking for specific things (and he's not letting on what they are). He's coached JJ and he thinks he at least has enough of them to bring him in and give him a shot.

/debate