LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

QB Josh Johnson

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by susweel:
Does this signing mean that Kap is not progressing like they thought he would be ?

IMO, it's more about Alex. As much as JH says he believes in Smith, the truth is, we only guaranteed $9M of his deal....which is nothing! Couple that with our pursuit of Manning and you draw one conclusion: Our head coach and front office believe we still need an upgrade at the QB position. I mean, Harbaugh can say whatever he wants about Alex, but his actions show something totally different.
Im with you on this Freddy

I hear you, but I don't think it has anything to do with that.

I think Harbaugh is all about getting all the good players he can find and making them compete. If the #3 QB is almost as good as the starter (well....lol...then maybe you have issue with your starter), then your team is STRONGER because it's deep.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Does this signing mean that Kap is not progressing like they thought he would be ?

IMO, it's more about Alex. As much as JH says he believes in Smith, the truth is, we only guaranteed $9M of his deal....which is nothing! Couple that with our pursuit of Manning and you draw one conclusion: Our head coach and front office believe we still need an upgrade at the QB position. I mean, Harbaugh can say whatever he wants about Alex, but his actions show something totally different.

Totally agree, this off season revealed how JH truly feels about Alex. Many of the fans here are giving Alex mad props for his play, but the actions by JH and the front office believe that Alex left many plays and many on the field last year. The game versus the Ravens being a perfect example when Walker was wide open deep early in the game and Alex checked it down. We dont know how many more of those plays were left out on the feild and it probably drove the coaches crazy.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
All this Tolzien is better stuff is sarcasm right?

Sadly.....no.

Every time I hear this guys name I think of...

I think of this guy...

I think the opposite is true with the Johnson signing. I think the FO is banking on Alex having a nice year in 2012 while Kap takes off behind the scenes. If not they wouldnt have pushed so hard for Alex to accept a deal they could terminate after year 1. I believe next season Alex will be gone, Kap will be the starter and Johnson will be the solid backup. Two years to sit and learn the system is the perfect situation for Kap. Locking in a nice backup who knows the system and can run the same exact plays as Kap is a move more for next year than this. I think that why they signed Josh for 2 years instead of their standard 1.
^^^
I LIKE THIS!!!!!!!

Im with you on this Freddy

I hear you, but I don't think it has anything to do with that.

I think Harbaugh is all about getting all the good players he can find and making them compete. If the #3 QB is almost as good as the starter (well...them maybe you have issue with your starter), then your team is STRONGER because it's deep.

Nothing at all wrong with being deep. I think it may end up being a mixture of both. They were unwilling to guarantee Alex for year 2 for a reason. They want to have extra QB depth for a reason. I think this is a plan more for next year ( If Scott survives being poached from the practive squaud ). I really believe Kap makes a quantum leap over the next 12 months ( offseason + season + offseason ) and is our starting QB in 2013 with JJ as the #2 and ST as the #3...Alex will not be wearing this uniform come April 1st 2013, in my humble opinion.
The 49ers signed quarterback Josh Johnson to a two-year deal that essentially is worth just under $2 million, according to a league source familiar with the contract. That includes a $350,000 signing bonus.

Johnson could earn as much as $1.5 million more in incentives. To reach that number, however, he would have to be the 49ers' starting quarterback and would have to play very, very well. The second year of the contract includes a per-game roster bonus that would pay Johnson $135,000 if he is on the active roster for every 49ers game.

The bottom line is that Johnson's is a modest deal that is similar to what a lot of NFL backups earn. David Carr, for instance, recently signed a one-year deal with the Giants for about $1 million. The Cowboys just signed Kyle Orton on a three-year deal reportedly worth $10.5 million.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/qb-johnsons-deal-two-years-for-essentially-2-million.html#storylink=cpy
Drus, with a terrific HC/OC/QB coach, I think just the opposite. I believe alex will play so well this yr that they will want to securely lock him up. Plus, we start this season with alex finally having the same HC /OC/QB coach that he had last yr, and that's a first for him. I don't think it accidental that the first yr alex has the proper and stable coaching, plus excellent team around him, that he played so well. His QB rating, for the record was basically within a point of Peyton's last full season, around 91for both...at about half the cost. Not comparing alex to peyton, but valuewise, we would have made an exceptionally bad deal with Peyton. Fortunately, it didn't occur. The other thing is way before season was over, alex had for receivers: Vernon, williams, and craps. That's it. Zippo except for vernon. This season he has Mario, vernon, moss, williams, craps, walker, and probably 3 or 4 WRs thru draft and UDFA. Man there is a lot of stuff around him right now that just wasn't there last season. My guess is for alex to have a helluva season this yr, assuming we can plug in the OG, which was problematic last yr. I bet that is fixed by opening day. Alex's future is all in his own hands. My hunch is he takes it and runs with it. The D will be better, we got ginn back, the OL will be better minus rachal and snyder...jeez, if alex doesn't shine with all this abundance, I would be amazed. Remember, draft hasn't even started yet.

His key to success? Learning how to do his sequential reads faster, and more importantly, the OC calling quick slants and outs that move the chains. Quick as in
hike it and sling it. One steppers. That alone would have raised alex's QBR last yr by 10 pts. And that was an OC problem, not alex.
Originally posted by Kam_mamba:
Originally posted by okdkid:
The #49ers have signed QB Josh Johnson to a two-year deal, per a league source.

per Eric Branch via Twitter

Career Numbers for Josh Johnson:

Completions: 96
Attempts: 177
Comp. %: 54.2%
Pass. TD: 5
Int: 10
QB Rate.: 57.7
Rush. Att: 37
Rush Yds: 254
Rush TDs: 0
Fumbles: 8

NFL.com lists him as 6'3", 205 lbs.

His combine results: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=61532&draftyear=2008&genpos=

40 yard dash: 4.53 seconds
actually he ran a 4.44 40

...and I'd rather look at his college #s (You know, the last time he played in Harbaughs offense).

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT RAT
2004-----12----22---135--54.5-----6.14--45-----0---1--97.00
2005----260--371--3256-70.1-----8.78--59---36---8--171.51
2006----246--371--3320-66.3-----8.95--72---34---5--169.03
2007----206--301--2988-68.4-----9.93--80---43---1--198.30

Rushing Stats
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS
2004-----USD---13---39
2005-----USD---86--379
2006-----USD--107-720
2007-----USD--101-726

I LOVE this signing. LOVE IT.

I dunno if he'll ever turn that talent into something, but if I've learned anything it's that I trust Harbaugh when it comes to QBs. He's the QB Whisperer. I've been saying for a LONG time that I'm NOT convinced that Andrew Luck is going to be a great NFL QB. My concern is how much of his "greatness" is attributed to Harbaugh and that system that Stanford still runs under Shaw.

DOn't get me wrong, I still REALLY like Andrew Luck, but I don't think he's anywhere near the "can't miss" prospect that people make him out to be.

Harbaugh was asked in his last year at Stanford who the best Athlete he ever coached was. "Josh Johnson".

Oh, so college stats mean more than what you've put up in the NFL against the players who you will face every week.

Doesn't make any sense to me but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Just remember, there have been tons of talented qb's coming out of college with great numbers that didn't translate or make it in the NFL.

Good backup, nothing more IMO.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
What about Harbaugh gives you the impression he'll play favorites? To me, he's all about competition and just because he's familiar with Johnson, doesn't mean he'll elevate him above a spot he shouldn't be. This signing is all about improving the depth of our QB spot. Now that there's four guys for three spots, the level of competition will pick up. Survival of the fittest.

I am in teh grade four.

I dont get this one either.

He's "familiar" with "johnson", but that won't make him elevate it.

I am in teh fourth grade.

My humor is juvenile.

Also obtuse as f**k.

Sorry.

I laughed

Totally agree, this off season revealed how JH truly feels about Alex. Many of the fans here are giving Alex mad props for his play, but the actions by JH and the front office believe that Alex left many plays and many on the field last year. The game versus the Ravens being a perfect example when Walker was wide open deep early in the game and Alex checked it down. We dont know how many more of those plays were left out on the feild and it probably drove the coaches crazy.

I think most of us have seen examples of this to the extent that we can on a network TV broadcast. I've also heard it repeated by the likes of Eric Davis, Greg Cosell and Dilfer. It has to be corrected. It could be the difference between victory and defeat or even between cruising to victory vs. a tight game. Fewer missed opportunities will mean less pressure on everyone.

Harbaugh is building an army of Quarter Backs.

Pre-season competition is going to be exciting.

I wonder who will get cut before the season starts? Any guesses?
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:
Harbaugh is building an army of Quarter Backs.

Pre-season competition is going to be exciting.

I wonder who will get cut before the season starts? Any guesses?

Well the good news is now the Niners will not have to use a draft pick on a qb. They are stacked at a level 9er fans have not seen in years. I think Tolzien will be the odd man out, and will make the PS without being picked up on waivers.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by Kam_mamba:
Originally posted by okdkid:
The #49ers have signed QB Josh Johnson to a two-year deal, per a league source.

per Eric Branch via Twitter

Career Numbers for Josh Johnson:

Completions: 96
Attempts: 177
Comp. %: 54.2%
Pass. TD: 5
Int: 10
QB Rate.: 57.7
Rush. Att: 37
Rush Yds: 254
Rush TDs: 0
Fumbles: 8

NFL.com lists him as 6'3", 205 lbs.

His combine results: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=61532&draftyear=2008&genpos=

40 yard dash: 4.53 seconds
actually he ran a 4.44 40

...and I'd rather look at his college #s (You know, the last time he played in Harbaughs offense).

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT RAT
2004-----12----22---135--54.5-----6.14--45-----0---1--97.00
2005----260--371--3256-70.1-----8.78--59---36---8--171.51
2006----246--371--3320-66.3-----8.95--72---34---5--169.03
2007----206--301--2988-68.4-----9.93--80---43---1--198.30

Rushing Stats
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS
2004-----USD---13---39
2005-----USD---86--379
2006-----USD--107-720
2007-----USD--101-726

I LOVE this signing. LOVE IT.

I dunno if he'll ever turn that talent into something, but if I've learned anything it's that I trust Harbaugh when it comes to QBs. He's the QB Whisperer. I've been saying for a LONG time that I'm NOT convinced that Andrew Luck is going to be a great NFL QB. My concern is how much of his "greatness" is attributed to Harbaugh and that system that Stanford still runs under Shaw.

DOn't get me wrong, I still REALLY like Andrew Luck, but I don't think he's anywhere near the "can't miss" prospect that people make him out to be.

Harbaugh was asked in his last year at Stanford who the best Athlete he ever coached was. "Josh Johnson".

Oh, so college stats mean more than what you've put up in the NFL against the players who you will face every week.

Doesn't make any sense to me but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Just remember, there have been tons of talented qb's coming out of college with great numbers that didn't translate or make it in the NFL.

Good backup, nothing more IMO.

When he's going back to the collage coach and system that helped him PRODUCE those numbers? HELL FREAKIN' YES!!!

Would Alex Smith have played better as a young player if he had run Urban Meyers Spread Offense? Would Kaepernick be better now if he was still running the Pistol?

Look, I'm not saying he's the next superstar QB of the NFL. I'm sayin' that the guy has some serious tools and the last time he played with Harbaugh he was lights out.

He posted the best QB rating in College Football history. Yeah, lets just write him off because the kingmaker Buccaneers couldn't make him a star. Afterall, the Niners have NEVER had a Buc QB come to SF and become a great player. Simply couldn't happen.

Any other questions?
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM ]
When he's going back to the collage coach and system that helped him PRODUCE those numbers? HELL FREAKIN' YES!!!

Would Alex Smith have played better as a young player if he had run Urban Meyers Spread Offense? Would Kaepernick be better now if he was still running the Pistol?

Look, I'm not saying he's the next superstar QB of the NFL. I'm sayin' that they guy has some serious tools and the last time he played with Harbaugh he was lights out.

Any other questions?
dude he played in UCSD not only have they ever been ranked they are not a competitive football school at all i know i go here for school
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Look, I'm not saying he's the next superstar QB of the NFL. I'm sayin' that they guy has some serious tools and the last time he played with Harbaugh he was lights out.

Any other questions?
dude he played in UCSD not only have they ever been ranked they are not a competitive football school at all i know i go here for school

Point?

...and I think it's USD.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone