LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 156 users in the forums

Do you think Manningham is an upgrade over Morgan ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you think Manningham is an upgrade over Morgan ?

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
stats are a little misleading bro. Look at the average yds per catch. About the same. You would need to compare against number of throws, passes per game between teams, etc.

I agree he is an upgrade though, but not as much as most people think. I think Morgan was on his way to being really good before he got injured.

U slow.
Well, they are two very different types of receivers. Manningham has the quickness and speed to create large separation and take the top off of defenses and he adjusts well in the air and goes up and gets it. He also seems to play his best in big games (i.e. clutch). He's also an underrated blocker too. The one thing Morgan had over Manningham was chemistry (trust) with Alex and his toughness to go inside on slant patterns. Overall, Manningham is more proven, has a better overall game and has more potential so this offseason will be important to building trust and chemistry with Alex. Plus Manningham wanted to be a 49er and Morgan didn't. End poll.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:31 AM ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:
stats are a little misleading bro. Look at the average yds per catch. About the same. You would need to compare against number of throws, passes per game between teams, etc.

I agree he is an upgrade though, but not as much as most people think. I think Morgan was on his way to being really good before he got injured.

U slow.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Well, they are two very different type of receivers. Manningham has the quickness and speed to create large separation and take the top off of defenses and he adjusts well in the air and goes up and gets it. He also seems to play his best games in big games. He's also an underrated blocker too. The one thing Morgan had over Manningham was chemistry (trust) with Alex and his toughness to go inside on slant patterns. Overall, Manningham is more proven, has a better overall game and has more potential so this offseason will be important to building trust and chemistry with Alex. Plus Manningham wanted to b a 49er and Morgan didn't.

this....
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
Originally posted by susweel:
I personally think they are about the same so that would mean that we have pretty much the same WR group. With Moss playing the role of Edwards, I also dont expect much from the Moss. I think he will play just hard enough to keep earning a pay check.

Have you ever watched Moss play? He's probably one of the most talented people ever to play football. second best reciever to Jerry Rice, almost an instant TD on a fade in the red zone. Edwards had no TDs last year and dropped a few in the end zone. HUGE upgrade over Edwards. Manningham is faster and better on deeper stuff then Morgan, and Crabtree is entering the same offensive system for the second year in a row. Recieving corps is much better.
I agree with Walsh. Moss is a HUGE upgrade over Braylon, if not for anything other than the fact that Moss is healthy. Then add in the fact that Moss is motivated to get a SB, and has big time ability; he will be our #1 WR this year easily!

Manningham is better than Morgan and it's not even close. In 2010 Manningham broke out at the end of the year posting 3 consecutive games with over 100 yards and 4 TD's. Morgan had 1 game with over 100 yards and 2 TD's for the entire season. In 2011, Manningham was a #3 because both Cruz and Nicks were healthy and getting the majority of the balls. By comparison; in 2011, Morgan had a slightly better 5 weeks of football vs Manningham by approximately 50 yards.

But the OP just likes to be a debbie downer to anything the 49ers do. I wonder if he even got excited when we beat the Saints and Alex was playing like a BOSS! I doubt it. In fact, I think I found a pic of the OP watching the last drive of the Saints vs 49ers playoff game. Yup, that's it!

Voted about the same overall.

Manningham > Morgan in terms of route running/catching ability.

Morgan > Manningham in terms of run blocking ability.

So, it's about even, trade away some run blocking skill for improved pass catching. At least, that's how I see it.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

U slow.

I already did done posted dat stuffs right afore you did, brother.

Pay more attention afore I do sumthin' we both regret!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Well, they are two very different type of receivers. Manningham has the quickness and speed to create large separation and take the top off of defenses and he adjusts well in the air and goes up and gets it. He also seems to play his best games in big games. He's also an underrated blocker too. The one thing Morgan had over Manningham was chemistry (trust) with Alex and his toughness to go inside on slant patterns. Overall, Manningham is more proven, has a better overall game and has more potential so this offseason will be important to building trust and chemistry with Alex. Plus Manningham wanted to b a 49er and Morgan didn't.

this....

I already done did told y'all that, too!

'Ceptin' teh part about wantin' ta be a Niner.

I guess that's good enough ta avoid a paddlin'.
  • gage
  • Veteran
As long as he is 'about the same' as Morgan we'll be in great shape if he plays 16 games. If he is better, then watch out!

this....

LOL. Great minds think alike?

• Jiks

this....

COmmon sense is bliss.

lolz. Oh. I will read previous posts more often to ensure our swords are crossing at the same point
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Except about average OLBs.

You still one upped me... again!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

lolz. Oh. I will read previous posts more often to ensure our swords are crossing at the same point

Man, I'm just full of juvenile sexual innuendo right now.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
COmmon sense is piss.

Fixed.

No such thing.
Share 49ersWebzone