There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Heard something interesting about Dr. York

That makes sense. Thanks for sharing
It would all make sense.

He never really seemed to want to be there and they took over the team more because they had to than any other reason.

Thankfully it seems Jed has much more of his uncle in him than his father.
Dr. York is an idiot.

He pissed off Walsh.

He fired Mariucci on a whim because we got worked by Tampa bay in the playoffs and Mariucci played it safe at halftime.

Tossed away the great niner tradition.

Didn't work with the City to keep the team in the city.

Made bonehead moves and finally turned the team over to his son which is working out better when Jed finally learned not to make "any football decisions."

It's been a decade of awfulness until the stars aligned and they got Jim Harbaugh.......WE GOT REALLY LUCKY.
The way things have transpired since, this story makes a lot of sense. I'm glad he was willing to hand it off to Jedi York.
So they are s**tty owners?

No way?
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Dr. York is an idiot.

He pissed off Walsh.

He fired Mariucci on a whim because we got worked by Tampa bay in the playoffs and Mariucci played it safe at halftime.

Made bonehead moves and finally turned the team over to his son which is working out better when Jed finally learned not to make "any football decisions."

It's been a decade of awfulness until the stars aligned and they got Jim Harbaugh.......WE GOT REALLY LUCKY.

Wow. I never thought I'd defend John York....but.....

He fired Mariucci because he was advised by the real culprit for the 49ers falling apart, Terry Donahue. Donahue was appointed by Bill Walsh, so York was trusting in Walsh's decision.

He then made some bad decisions, no doubt, but I just think he was in over his head.

While he may not be good at running a football team, the 49ers are leaving SF because of circumstance and the city itself. Eddie D couldn't get stadium built there either.

I give him credit for knowing that and turning over the reigns to Jed.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:41 PM ]
Jed does get a lot of credit but Baalke, Paraag, Harbaugh deserve their fair share of it. When Jed was first the owner he made plenty of mistakes. Hiring Singletary was defiantly one of them. Not to mention Scotty Mc. The best thing Jed could've done was start a top and find people who know the business. No way he was going to do it by himself. Hence Baalke and Paraag, which eventually led to Harbaugh. He kept very close quarters with his uncle and probably learned a tremendous amount from him.

Jed was young, but I see him finding stability in this organization for the first time in many many of years. I give him full credit for that, but again, who knows where this team would be if it weren't for these other guys?
It's just too bad all those years ago they didn't say to themselves... hey we are in over our head. We need to hire one of the top guys in the league as president and let him take over. Let him handle everything and we will just stay behind the curtain and write checks.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Dr. York is an idiot.

He pissed off Walsh.

Wow. I never thought I'd defend John York....but.....

He fired Mariucci because he was advised by the real culprit for the 49ers falling apart, Terry Donahue. Donahue was appointed by Bill Walsh, so York was trusting in Walsh's decision.

He then made some bad decisions, no doubt, but I just think he was in over his head.

While he may not be good at running a football team, the 49ers are leaving SF because of circumstance and the city itself. Eddie D couldn't get stadium built there either.

I give him credit for knowing that and turning over the reigns to Jed.

this
Dr York can go to hell. Because of him I had to watch a decade worth of crappy football.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Jed does get a lot of credit but Baalke, Paraag, Harbaugh deserve their fair share of it. When Jed was first the owner he made plenty of mistakes. Hiring Singletary was defiantly one of them. Not to mention Scotty Mc. The best thing Jed could've done was start a top and find people who know the business. No way he was going to do it by himself. Hence Baalke and Paraag, which eventually led to Harbaugh. He kept very close quarters with his uncle and probably learned a tremendous amount from him.

Jed was young, but I see him finding stability in this organization for the first time in many many of years. I give him full credit for that, but again, who knows where this team would be if it weren't for these other guys?

I can believe it. He was trying to force the Niners into his own financial business model rather than building a model based off the Niners. And the smartest thing they ever did was give the franchise to someone who wanted it in Jed. You could see he was young, and naturally believed in Sing's speeches and what was initially told to him. But that also provided him with an invaluable lesson... get football people to make the football decisions. He went and found Paraag(genius) to handle the numbers. Then looked for a GM with conviction and a plan. I always thought the reason niners kept bringing in gm candidates was to see how legit Baalkes presentation was and how it differed to people who were ex-gms. Baalke won out, recruited Harbs who has a huge coaching network and the rest is history.

Coaching upgrades like Jim Leavitt over Vance Singletary are just one example of the vast difference in the coaching abilities of the staff. Remember how Manusky was considered one of our top coaches just awhile back... hes already on his second job since leaving the niners. The Yorks are slowly but surely earning our respect back, but it will still take a season or two more of winning before they earn all my trust.
Originally posted by susweel:
Dr York can go to hell. Because of him I had to watch a decade worth of crappy football.

This and I actually believe what the OP was saying
Aside from the management bungles in the first 3-5 years, as well as the penny-pinching in the first 2-3 years, I've always heard that John York is a nice man. There was that fan at the Detroit game last year (I think it was Detroit) that he was really nice to before the game, for instance.
Originally posted by 5280High:
I can believe it. He was trying to force the Niners into his own financial business model rather than building a model based off the Niners. And the smartest thing they ever did was give the franchise to someone who wanted it in Jed. You could see he was young, and naturally believed in Sing's speeches and what was initially told to him. But that also provided him with an invaluable lesson... get football people to make the football decisions. He went and found Paraag(genius) to handle the numbers. Then looked for a GM with conviction and a plan. I always thought the reason niners kept bringing in gm candidates was to see how legit Baalkes presentation was and how it differed to people who were ex-gms. Baalke won out, recruited Harbs who has a huge coaching network and the rest is history.

Coaching upgrades like Jim Leavitt over Vance Singletary are just one example of the vast difference in the coaching abilities of the staff. Remember how Manusky was considered one of our top coaches just awhile back... hes already on his second job since leaving the niners. The Yorks are slowly but surely earning our respect back, but it will still take a season or two more of winning before they earn all my trust.

Hey, I tried to alert people...not many listened. LOL
"And he never asked to be in charge of one of the most media exposed team in the most media focused industry in the sports world."

...and he never was...this is a west coast team.

Kidding of course.