There are 276 users in the forums

Was our defense overrated last year? Interesting Read:

Shop Find 49ers gear online
cc iowa had it right, we beat the saints and NYG, cold, and rottenberger too. Oldschoolninerfan has good summary.
The wall street journal put it best : NOW THERE WAS A DEFENSE.! , something not often seen in a primarily financial newspaper. We are better than people thot, and God help offenses this yr, because they are going to get pounded.
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
how's is this an interesting read

gets us away from the endless alex smith not signing yet chatter

Or you just like starting meaningless threads.

Geez, the thread's not that bad... That being said, all teams play against some bad QBs, so it prob. Evens out,plus most important stats for def. is points allowed and WINS!
I've read a lot of b******t on this site, but this one takes the cake.
If the 49ers would have won a SB last year the D would have went in the history books as one of the best defenses ever! Run D at least. So no the D was not overrated and this thread was not an interesting read!
All those yards but only 14 pts a game.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
when teams cant run against us theyre gonna throw the ball in crazy amounts leading to the high yardage, plus teams these days are going with 3-4 wr sets airing the ball out 40-50 times

Exactly.

Did you ever watch games live? Our defense was and is everything we believe it is.

Stats never get in the way of feelings.

Not saying they didn't do a great job. Just that they are not the super D that some seem to think. But then that would also mean giving credit to the other side of the ball for some of our sucess and some don't want or will ever do that.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

why? and where are the mods now, calling somebodys out like that? Thought we were supposed to be nice to other fans!!

Nobody is saying our D didn't do a great job last year and was the main reason we won most of the games. But they did have a tendency to give up big plays and points to the better teams. Nothing wrong with pointing that out is there?

I still think we need another pass rushing OLB (said it before and I'll say it again - Brooks is average and we overpaid).

We also need another corner in case of 4 wr sets.

If we add those 2 positions, I think we can be even better at stopping the best qb's.
lol, calling your own post "interesting."
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

why? and where are the mods now, calling somebodys out like that? Thought we were supposed to be nice to other fans!!

Nobody is saying our D didn't do a great job last year and was the main reason we won most of the games. But they did have a tendency to give up big plays and points to the better teams. Nothing wrong with pointing that out is there?

I still think we need another pass rushing OLB (said it before and I'll say it again - Brooks is average and we overpaid).

We also need another corner in case of 4 wr sets.

If we add those 2 positions, I think we can be even better at stopping the best qb's.

rogers, brown, cully, brock

we need safety help in case one of ours goes down
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Yards don't matter. Points do.

QFT

• DJD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Yards don't matter. Points do.

This! ^

Niners D was built to not allow the big play, in that they gave up some underneath yardage to lock things down down field, as well as much of any running. In the red zone however they were as good as it gets. They lead the league in fewest points allowed up until the final quarter of the final game of the regular season against the Rams, a little lack of focus as they were winding things down and headed for the post season for the first time in nearly a decade. If not for those couple mistakes at the 11th hour they would have held that title for the history books. They also led the league in takeaways.

Not at all over rated!!
Originally posted by HessianDud:

lol when i read it back to myself i thought it wasnt half bad
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

lol when i read it back to myself i thought it wasnt half bad

there's an old legend about Tolstoy that he was browsing in a bookstore, flipping through a book, and he became very excited that he had just discovered a new, major novel, and when he looked at the cover again he saw that he had written it.
BLASPHEMY. why would you even consider posting something that questions our defense. even if this were 100% fact, i would hide this crap from the world so no one ever saw it.
Yes, the Defense was and is a tier below 85 Bears and 00 Ravens. The claim to fame for the 11 49ers was the Defense and ST, we had the best 1-2 combo last season and possibly historically
Share 49ersWebzone