There are 222 users in the forums

What is the 49ers plan for the OL and protecting Alex Smith going forward?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Davis is still very young and has elite athleticism. Staley also looks like he hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Iupati is already a great player and Goodwin likely still has a year or two of tread left on his tires.

My take is this.....let these guys have another year in Harbaugh's system and another year with this terrific coaching staff before calling for drastic changes. I do think the team will sign a vet OG for depth at least and will probably draft at least one OLman so although I can understand the proposal, I think it is a little too early for that conversation.

One last thing....I would be shocked if the Niners spent a first round draft pick on an OG...because they have always invested so much money and high draft picks on the OL already. I can see them using a second rounder on a guard though.

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:09 AM ]
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
IMO if we sign Schwartz we don't go after a guard early. Between him and Kilgore (as a backup plan) I think we would be in good shape for this year. Not sure what Schwartz will bring but at 25 he's worth a shot. There has to be a reason a lot of the panthers fans were mad they didn't tender him. Besides, I think he might be a better option than possibly reaching for Zeitler at 30 or taking a guard at 62. Zeitler might be able to come in and do well... other than that not sure anyone could come in from day one (besides glenn and decastro who will be gone). Also frees us up to use that pick on bpa/WR/Fleener...

If we can go into the draft with Schwartz and possibly Ginn (along with alex) I would be pretty happy. It would mean we are basically set except receiver (wr/fleener) and then we can go BPA the rest of the way and get some depth at safety, maybe a center for the future, maybe a 3rd RB upgrade or Gore replacement, maybe another WR, DL/LB depth, etc.
ok. i am sold, thank you
Well there is only one player that I would take early even if this we sign Schwartz. DeCastro. If he falls to the late teens or early twenties, I would be game to move up and grab him. I know we need depth and this would cost us a third but man would we have a young and talented OL. Although this is starting to become a pipe dream since every time I look at OTC's mock he seems to be going in the top 15.
[ Edited by dwett on Mar 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM ]
  • dwett
  • Veteran
I guess OTC should have put it, who will protect Alex Smith going forward. Without Smith in the Title is seems to be falling off the first page when I feel it is one of the more important issues for the Niners next season.
[ Edited by dwett on Mar 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM ]
Originally posted by dwett:
I guess OTC should have put it, who will protect Alex Smith going forward. Without Smith in the Title is seems to be falling off the first page when I feel it is one of the more important issues for the Niners next season.

LOL, no doubt... nobody wants to talk about this important issue when you can argue over Alex Smith. I agree I would take DeCastro even with Schwartz but I don't think he makes it anywhere near close enough for us to consider trading up. If you look at the guards taken in the 1st the past decade or so he's right up there with Hutchinson. Iupati was one of the better ones and I think he is better than him.
  • dwett
  • Veteran

LOL, no doubt... nobody wants to talk about this important issue when you can argue over Alex Smith. I agree I would take DeCastro even with Schwartz but I don't think he makes it anywhere near close enough for us to consider trading up. If you look at the guards taken in the 1st the past decade or so he's right up there with Hutchinson. Iupati was one of the better ones and I think he is better than him.

Oh I'm sure you are right about DeCastro but I didn't feel we had a chance at Crabtree and yet it happened. Got to hope some teams will simply reach for WRs or DL and the best Guard will fall. Now I can't see that happening but one can dream for now. I will be on this horse until some other team destroys my hope. Then I will put may remaining hope in Baalke and see what other OL do fall..

Just believe that with the WR we have brought in, OL is an important issue with our team. Adding Schwartz will help but I would take additional depth at OL vs WR. Just feel it is more important.
Oh I'm sure you are right about DeCastro but I didn't feel we had a chance at Crabtree and yet it happened. Got to hope some teams will simply reach for WRs or DL and the best Guard will fall. Now I can't see that happening but one can dream for now. I will be on this horse until some other team destroys my hope. Then I will put may remaining hope in Baalke and see what other OL do fall..

Just believe that with the WR we have brought in, OL is an important issue with our team. Adding Schwartz will help but I would take additional depth at OL vs WR. Just feel it is more important.

But difference is we were at 10 not 30 plus what hurt Crabtree is his foot injury (turns out it was a legit concern) and not running his 40 time due to it. He couldn't run at combine or for pre draft workouts because of the stress fracture and the news came right before the draft which hurt his status. I think it really has hampered his career... if it would just ago away he would be so much better off. Anyways, let's not make it a Crabtree thread.

Back to the OL I am all for getting a center to replace Goodwin in this draft. Maybe he beats him out this year or maybe next year. Either way I think that is one area of focus unless they think Beeler or even Kilgore is that guy. Kilgore played center in college. I wouldn't mind another RG in the draft but it depends on how comfortable they are with Schwartz (if signed) and Kilgore (if he is RG of future not center) and also Mike Person.
You know how I feel about the interior of this line. Draft someone early and install them right away. Would not be surprised to see the team pick Osemele or Zeitler in the late first, even though I se them as second round value. Goodwin finished 23rd in the NFL in ranking the centers by Pro Football Focus and third to last in pass protection. Upgrades needed at center and right guard
  • dwett
  • Veteran

But difference is we were at 10 not 30 plus what hurt Crabtree is his foot injury (turns out it was a legit concern) and not running his 40 time due to it. He couldn't run at combine or for pre draft workouts because of the stress fracture and the news came right before the draft which hurt his status. I think it really has hampered his career... if it would just ago away he would be so much better off. Anyways, let's not make it a Crabtree thread.

Back to the OL I am all for getting a center to replace Goodwin in this draft. Maybe he beats him out this year or maybe next year. Either way I think that is one area of focus unless they think Beeler or even Kilgore is that guy. Kilgore played center in college. I wouldn't mind another RG in the draft but it depends on how comfortable they are with Schwartz (if signed) and Kilgore (if he is RG of future not center) and also Mike Person.
Sorry didn't mean to. It was more of how I didn't think it would happen vs. it did thing. I agree with everything else. Maybe Konz at thirty is the pick. Just excited for the draft and the OL is what I want to see improved.
One thing about Boone, he is far better as a left tackle than as a right. He completely manhandled Calais Cambell during that Cards game filling in for Staley.

I dont see them shufflling anything though, It would be nice to see where Beeler is at with his NFL training. Dude was an all-American and just needs size to hold up in the NFL.
Sorry didn't mean to. It was more of how I didn't think it would happen vs. it did thing. I agree with everything else. Maybe Konz at thirty is the pick. Just excited for the draft and the OL is what I want to see improved.

No wasn't saying you... I just started talking about Crabtree in my response and was hoping nobody would reply and go on a crabtree stinks rant

Originally posted by 5280High:
One thing about Boone, he is far better as a left tackle than as a right. He completely manhandled Calais Cambell during that Cards game filling in for Staley.

I dont see them shufflling anything though, It would be nice to see where Beeler is at with his NFL training. Dude was an all-American and just needs size to hold up in the NFL.

I'm hoping he puts on some weight/muscle. He was like 290 which is more of a zone blocking scheme size. He should be 300 to 310 ish. As for Boone I think if given a chance he could prove to be better than Anthony and Joe but we have Joe extended through 2017 or whatever and 16+ million tied up into Anthony. might be too early to reshuffle.
  • Jiks
What are our plans with Kilgore? He seemed like he was playing pretty well in pre-season, then we seen nothing else of him. Think he'll be in the mix for playing time?
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
What are our plans with Kilgore? He seemed like he was playing pretty well in pre-season, then we seen nothing else of him. Think he'll be in the mix for playing time?

Yep, if we sign Schwartz he will probably compete with him. Who knows he played center in college so maybe they envision him as the center of the future and we draft a guard to compete with Schwartz (if signed). I think he came in a few times last year on jumbo formations... if he is backup maybe they do that again
So freak'n glad the Manning/Smith fiasco is over. Back to real business. So where's the RG!! And a backup center....
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
You know how I feel about the interior of this line. Draft someone early and install them right away. Would not be surprised to see the team pick Osemele or Zeitler in the late first, even though I se them as second round value. Goodwin finished 23rd in the NFL in ranking the centers by Pro Football Focus and third to last in pass protection. Upgrades needed at center and right guard

you see Zeitler possibly in the first....

dont like that MD
Share 49ersWebzone