LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 158 users in the forums

Who do you WANT to be QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who do you WANT to be QB

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Same here. I have a hard time believing that he couldn't do better this season. And not just a little better.. but MUCH better.

agree....it would be fun to see Manning throw to Swain and Hastings and see what he could of done...lol

Some here will tell you he would make them Pro Bowlers.
Originally posted by Squidp:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I really don't understand the zone talk here. I agree with anyone saying that Alex did good last year. The 13-3 record was more than anyone expected. But, with all that being said, Out of 31 other teams in the NFL, only 1 team has brought in Alex to make him an offer... and the Dolphins might have been just gameplay. I think the rest of the NFL see's him as a serviceable guy but never going to be anything great. So, there are ALex Haters that just think he sucks and then there are people that just want to move on because Alex is never going to be that good. The rest of the team seems perfect in almost every position. The QB just seems average. I don't want to lose but I would rather roll the dice and see if Kaep or Tolzien can be great...

After we came so close to the Super Bowl you want to "roll the dice" ?????????

We just had our greatest season in almost 20 years. Lets get a full off season under our belts and go get us a ring
Yes! I have seen this zone say terrible things about Joe Flacco as well. The Ravens were a missed FG from going to the Superbowl. I don't see any difference between he and Alex and I think technically Flacco had better stats. Not in INT's though. With those types of QB's it will always be the same. We will come so close or be like the Ravens with Dilfer or the Bucs with Brad Johnson...good enough to maybe win one but with a defense and running game as strong as those teams had for so many years, they should have won multiple SB's. I don't want the 49ers to be like that. All the pieces seem like they are in place to have a dominant team. If we take another year to see what we have in Alex and go the playoffs and lose we will try him out for another year after that. It's just waisting time and the rest of the team might not be as good still. Gore may be gone, other players might sign somewhere else, etc... It's the same thing the Ravens are doing with Flacco. Strong D, great running game with Rice but they keep coming up short.
If you get rid of Alex now, you are shooting yourself in the foot and hurting Alex as well. Remember what coach Meyer said. When Alex knows everything, he's the most dangerous man on the field. He will crush teams with this offense now that he has another year under his belt. He is a smart kid with more brains than maybe he needs, but that will translate to the field.....finally he would have a second year with a good system. He will be scary next year. Mark my words.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:

Hahahahahaha

edit...

I really did lol'd.
[ Edited by ninerfan818 on Mar 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM ]
Originally posted by 11ThrowItNDaDirt:
When the same Ol Alex shows up and produces the Same Ol Numbers will you say, they shouldn't have re-signed him? I can't recall a team sticking with a guy so long with nothing to show for it. I don't think I can support him again. I don't support him because he holds on the ball too long and doesn't give the receivers a chance to make a play. Throw the ball. If Favre held onto the ball like that he wouldn't have lasting 5 years.

14-4 as starting QB and a heartbeat away from the Super Bowl. That is something.

Funny, but it's rather strange that before 2011, Smith's problem was getting to the redzone. In the redzone he was often money in the bank with TDs. In 2011, the opposite happened.
Originally posted by fastforward:

Funny, but it's rather strange that before 2011, Smith's problem was getting to the redzone. In the redzone he was often money in the bank with TDs. In 2011, the opposite happened.

Now the ultimate gamble is paying him $8 mil to see what he can do next?
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

Not quite as big a gamble as putting a Super Bowl contender in the hands of a guy who has thrown three NFL passes.
Originally posted by BHulman:

Not quite as big a gamble as putting a Super Bowl contender in the hands of a guy who has thrown three NFL passes.

How much worse do you actually think Kaep could do? Heck he is 3-5 when given the chance in the regular season and he knows the system as well as Smith or pretty close and the young man is very determined!! Gunnin for that #1!!

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
If not Alex, trade it for Luck or Brees, or somebody...
Originally posted by BHulman:

How much worse do you actually think Kaep could do? Heck he is 3-5 when given the chance in the regular season and he knows the system as well as Smith or pretty close and the young man is very determined!! Gunnin for that #1!!

The thing is, I don't know. Seems kind of a big risk to take with this team poised to make run next year. But if that is what Harbaugh/Balke decide to do who am I to say otherwise.
Originally posted by fropwns:
If not Alex, trade it for Luck or Brees, or somebody...

We'd have to trade willis and like our next 4 #1's for luck
Originally posted by eamjr10:
out of the three options presented.... I would feel more comfortable with Alex Smith.

I understand the interest and wanting to see Kap play, I feel the same way, but I just don't have the confidence that he has the ability to play an entire season and be a number 1 quarterback at this point. I know what we have seen from him has been a sample size to say the least, which is why I am still not sold on him. I would like to see him in training camp and some more preseason action before we start throwing him in there as our starter.

As far as Josh Johnson, I've never really understood the love for Johnson......

Fair assessment, I like how you stated your opinion and based it on legitimate reasons why you feel that way. Not bashing a player that a player that has yet to have a chance to prove himself, because you like another player. If I dislike a player that's my opinion as well as someone elses opinion is their's, but at least have a.reason for bashing a guy. I have my reasons for not preferring Alex not being our qb, reasons that I saw with my own eyes. I would rather take a chance on the unknown, than keep watching what I have (mediocre to average qb play) for the last seven years.
I think we all know this day should come sooner rather than later. Whether you love him or not he's really gotta go.
Share 49ersWebzone