LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 393 users in the forums

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

Please raise your hands if you at one time thought that JTO, Nate Davis or Troy Smith was going to be good. Were you right or wrong?

Look at history and you will see what the chances of success are for any QB drafted in the 2nd round or later. It is not even as high as 10%. (Kap was the 7th QB taken in 2011). Indeed, it is very rare to find a QB that has all of the intangibles that can navigate a team through the pressure of playoff games without choking (Romo comes to mind). Indeed, even in his prime, the great P Manning has played some forgettable playoff games. Sorry, but I am not comforted by the thought of counting on Kap to lead us to glory in '12.
Harbaugh worked wonders with Josh Johnson out of USD and he was surprisingly drafted. Moreover, there is what he did with Andrew Luck as well as attempting to recruit RG3 to Stanford. And we know what he did for Alex Smith in 1 year, why couldn't he do the same for Kaepernick, who we traded up to get? I think Harbaugh knows what he is doing. The odds are in his favor.
Would love for him to learn at least one more year
I said he would be serviceable and pt up decent numbers. I have no concern that Harbaugh could not make him successful.
I really wouldn't want to possibly sacrifice a season but I'd rather have Kap in there than Johnson or Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck can't make it through a whole season and Johnson is pretty much a few play a game wildcat QB.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM ]
Originally posted by excelsior:
Please raise your hands if you at one time thought that JTO, Nate Davis or Troy Smith was going to be good. Were you right or wrong?

Look at history and you will see what the chances of success are for any QB drafted in the 2nd round or later. It is not even as high as 10%. (Kap was the 7th QB taken in 2011). Indeed, it is very rare to find a QB that has all of the intangibles that can navigate a team through the pressure of playoff games without choking (Romo comes to mind). Indeed, even in his prime, the great P Manning has played some forgettable playoff games. Sorry, but I am not comforted by the thought of counting on Kap to lead us to glory in '12.

I am offended that you would compare the success of QBs under Nolan-Singletary to Harbaugh.

If you took a random sampling of quarterbacks in the 1980s and picked one to play under Walsh in the 1980s, they probably would have been a success.

We have a good system now, and we can take a raw product like Kaep and make him a dominant force
Kappernick ? really . we know nothing about him other than the fact that he has a throwing motion more akin to tim lincicum than a winning n.f.l. q.b and seems to throw nothing but picks in the preseason
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by excelsior:

I am offended that you would compare the success of QBs under Nolan-Singletary to Harbaugh.

If you took a random sampling of quarterbacks in the 1980s and picked one to play under Walsh in the 1980s, they probably would have been a success.

We have a good system now, and we can take a raw product like Kaep and make him a dominant force

Amen. If Alex can do it Kaep should have no issues, faster release and stronger, bigger. Knows the system. Will have had a full year and an entire off season which is more opportunity to learn that afforded #11

Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Kappernick ? really . we know nothing about him other than the fact that he has a throwing motion more akin to tim lincicum than a winning n.f.l. q.b and seems to throw nothing but picks in the preseason

Alex Smith proponent wanting another year of mediocre QB play and doesn't think anything can be better than Smith as our current starter. C'mon Man!!

I assume you are basing this off of the New Orleans game where they blitzed us EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

After have 0 playbook knowledge, and 0 Training camp experience... are you surprised?
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Its the Kapernick Conspiracy.

Colin's like:

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

LOL.

And for the record, I don't want Josh Johnson either.
It amazes me how many people dont think Harbaugh can turn Kaep into a good (or better) NFL quarterback. His approach would be similar to his approach with Alex. Call safe plays, protect him, stress not making risky decisions and coach him up at every possible time. Harbaugh was able transform a broken QB with no career success into what we saw in 2011, yet people dont think that he can take a raw QB prospect with a ton of potential and turn him into a star? Comical.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by fly15:
we have a qb guru, we should b ok

yes he stabbed alex in the back by making him his little caddy and errand boy this year. jesus

stabbed alex in the back? what is this a soap opera? it's a f**king business. people need to realize that.
I graduated college at UNR the same year that CK7 was drafted to the 49ers. I saw about 75% of UNR's home games and also was at the Kraft Bowl which UNR won. This kid is a stud!! His raw athletic skills are insane. He is so fast for a QB you wouldn't believe it. Kid has the physical attributes to be a wide receiver and don't get me started on his arm. He has nothing short of a cannon his throws have heat on them and he can throw WAY deep. He reminds me a lot of RG3 in that he is athletic as all hell. His issues are he needs to learn to control that raw throwing power because sometimes he puts so much heat on his deep throws he overthrows his receivers. He needs to get used to reading NFL defenses as well, and get out of that mindset he is in from that UNR pistol offense.

Now... what do I think of him? I think with Harbaugh as his mentor this kid will be in the hall of fame some day. I think he will be top tier NFL star QB. He will be up their alongside all those QB's that are leading the league. He will be spoken in the same breathe as Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, the Mannings, and Brady. I honestly believe this. Add to it that Jim is top notch at spotting QB talent and molding them into something great. He did after all pickup Andrew Luck, and could see RG3's talent enough to go after him as well. There is a reason Jim traded up to get this guy.

This kid will break out like a freight train once Jim has him ready.
Share 49ersWebzone