LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 125 users in the forums

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

At this point Smith has a slight upper hand but Kaep's has much MORE upside then Smith.........Give him more reps & playing time then he will officially unseat Smith for good
Voted for the 3rd option. He was very impressive last night... was very proud of him. Definitely boosted my level of confidence in him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
From what I've seen, I would be comfortable with Kaepernick starting next season, only if he beats out Alex Smith.
8.5 on a 10 scale.

Would be higher BUT it's only one game.
Honestly he played lights out, some people may disagree, but in my opinion he has to go with Alex at least until the end of the season. u dont bench a qb that had us at 6-2, completely not even bringin up last year. As wiley said on NFL network, Kaep was the backup, he's tired of those saying that there has to be a drop off from starter to back up. So to keep it all in perspective Kaep did better than most of us thought. So i'd say let he and Smith duke it out at the end of the year. But dont mess with progression. One game doesnt cover 6-2, just as kaep said himself. cant have a hot hand after one game. (once again all Kaep's words)
Kaepernick can complete some throws that Alex struggles with. Kaepernick can extend plays when a play doesn't work out. But Alex has the playoff experience, takes care of the ball and is efficient.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Honestly he played lights out, some people may disagree, but in my opinion he has to go with Alex at least until the end of the season. u dont bench a qb that had us at 6-2, completely not even bringin up last year. As wiley said on NFL network, Kaep was the backup, he's tired of those saying that there has to be a drop off from starter to back up. So to keep it all in perspective Kaep did better than most of us thought. So i'd say let he and Smith duke it out at the end of the year. But dont mess with progression. One game doesnt cover 6-2, just as kaep said himself. cant have a hot hand after one game. (once again all Kaep's words)

Thumbs up....zoner.... I completely agree
Originally posted by NinerTeam:
Kaepernick can complete some throws that Alex struggles with. Kaepernick can extend plays when a play doesn't work out. But Alex has the playoff experience, takes care of the ball and is efficient.

You forgot his best trait!

Specializes in field goals!
Even as a guy who hopes Smith is the starter and wins a Superbowl this year, I kind of hope we he fails his test and we get Kaepernick again this week.

He looked so good, but there was a few passes that were off the mark, and he didn't have to deal with much pressure. Would love to see one more game where the Saints get to game plan for him to actually come out passing (I think the Bears were shocked how much we were throwing to start).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i like both and will not take part in any controversy talk. if healthy i think alex does deserve a start. the only thing he has done to justify a job loss is a concussion and i do not think its right he gets replaced that way. but if he starts, i assume he has a short leash and i have no issues there. I do understand starting ck in that nutty enviroment is a challenge but a much needed challenge for him. ok i am not going further and i am staying out of the mine field which is the qb thread but i have confidence in both and am very glad they are both on our team.

This controversy is a very good thing. I've been an Alex supporter from day 1 so this isn't a hate post.

How many teams have a QB on the bench that could start and play excellent? Not many. Just look at the Bears game, the Eagles game and others where the starter goes out and the #2 guy comes in.

If Kap plays vs. Saints and has a similar performance - he should be the starter.

If he really slips Alex is an excellent fall-back situation.

I'm glad I don't have to make that call.
Major Alex Smith fan here. He has been one incredible gutsy Niner, gotta have his back.

That said, Colin simply did stuff Smith doesn't and it was right in our faces.

Gruden was talking 80's Niners just showed up.

Kaep needs to start.
  • BROWN
  • Veteran
I'm all for starting Kaep, as long as Smith is hut. I'd have Smith start for the rest of the season, and even next if Kaep can't beat him out next summer. Alex is playing the best ball of his career, and the 49ers are winning. We'll deviate from how we're supposed to beat teams, we'll end up gun slinging and turning over the ball if Kaep takes over right now.
I don't know, but damn, I gave 7 years of confidence already, might as well give Kaep the confidence in the next game. See how he progresses and yank him if necessary. It's good to have options so utilize your options.

At this point, it's all about coaches philosophy. Based on what I get from Harbs, he will start Alex, which is fine with me, EXCEPT, if Alex continues to start even when he struggles.

If you start Alex, I expect him to beat the Saints since he has done so before. No excuses; he must beat the Saints because it aint gonna get easier.
[ Edited by LionHeartofGold on Nov 21, 2012 at 1:25 PM ]
The reason highly expected QBs fail is because of lack of talent around them. This team is the perfect nurturing environment a young QB needs, and with a coach like Harbaugh... Are you kidding me? I don't know if I would put him up against the Saints in that dome on only his second start, but this kid will be the starter in 2013.
Share 49ersWebzone