LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

I can honestly say I think Kaep has all the tools to be one of the elite QBs of this decade. Between the Oline in front of him, the coaching of Harbaugh and his own physical and mental gifts, sky is the limit. I just dont see any way this dude isn't successful. At the very least he'll be a top 10 QB with all the support he has. The only thing I need to see is if Kaep has the discipline to check it down when teams start taking away the deep ball?
Originally posted by cciowa:
forget the numbers,,, we have to see how the kid does in a enviroment which is 100 per cent different than the comforts of home monday. the coaches need to see it and we need to see it. we really do

Yes. I agree with this. I have mixed emotions about Kaep starting this one. Kaepernick played great at Candlestick in front of the home crowd, but playing on the road at N.O. is completely different, and it can be really tough for an inexperienced QB. If Smith is cleared to play, I would start him, because he has played in these environments before. If he isn't doing well, you could always bring Kaep in to relieve him. Smith has played well his last two starts, so I think it sends the wrong message to pull him until he starts to falter.
always had confidence in Kaeps ability
Our scheme will be completley different with a QB who can actually throw the ball down field. Harbaugh ran that type of offense because Alex cannot be trusted. Alex had the a high QB rating and completion % cuz he doesnt throw nearly as much as any of the other top QBs. He doesnt throw many pics cuz he barley throws the ball!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
forget the numbers,,, we have to see how the kid does in a enviroment which is 100 per cent different than the comforts of home monday. the coaches need to see it and we need to see it. we really do

Yes. I agree with this. I have mixed emotions about Kaep starting this one. Kaepernick played great at Candlestick in front of the home crowd, but playing on the road at N.O. is completely different, and it can be really tough for an inexperienced QB. If Smith is cleared to play, I would start him, because he has played in these environments before. If he isn't doing well, you could always bring Kaep in to relieve him. Smith has played well his last two starts, so I think it sends the wrong message to pull him until he starts to falter.
i know,, i am torn to,, it does not seem right he should lose his job because he got hurt,, but it would not be the first time it has occured and you can not ignore monday, actually you can not ignore the rams game were he put us in a spot to win twice... you are spot on,,, we really need to see him on the road in a dome vs a bunch of saints fans who all have head lice. after two home games,, we have to see him play in this enviroment. again as i have said before,,, i am so happy with the way the two guys have handled this situation with style poise and grace. young and montana could learn a couple things from these guys in that regard
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 16to87:
always had confidence in Kaeps ability

i always did to,, i just poked fun at posters who thought he should be the starter cuz of a long pass he threw into triple coverage but yes you can not ignore what he did vs the rams and vs the bears,, you can not, i am staying out of the insane qb thread because i just do not feel like pitting one guy vs the other. i like them both and i think we are ok with whoever plays that spot,,
*In Larry David voice* Pretttyyy, pretttyyy, prettyyy, pretty confident.
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:

You can't bench the 3rd rated Qb in the nfl. But if alex isn't ready from the hit and cleared to play ck will get another chance, and a good test on the road. I doubt alex will be ready to play a concussion isn't something you mess around with and shake off, this isn't a hurt finger this is metal damage something you shouldn't ever play thru you could have permanent damage. I like Alex to start i have confidence he can do the job finally, but not if his health is a serious question, this will give us a look at the possible future and hopefully colin can live up to that.
  • dj43
It's higher now than it was a month ago, but I have to see a lot more of him to conclude he is ready to be the full-time starter on a team that goes deep into the playoffs. Anybody can have a good game against a predictable defense.
He has started one NFL game. And that is my answer.

• dj43
Originally posted by English:
You mean, kinda like Matt Flynn?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

if he starts and wins great, if he starts and struggles, you bring alex in to save the day, we win both ways and pete carroll and the seahawks lose both ways cuz no matter,, we have two good quarterbacks who can get the job done in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
and troy smith,, yes there are many examples of a mirage. i think the kids good play in the last two games has almost forced(wish i could find a better word) them to take another look at ck, but this time is a situation and place which is a thousand times different and tougher than what he has had in the last two games
Originally posted by dj43:
and troy smith,, yes there are many examples of a mirage. i think the kids good play in the last two games has almost forced(wish i could find a better word) them to take another look at ck, but this time is a situation and place which is a thousand times different and tougher than what he has had in the last two games
Harder than coming in mid game unprepared? Harder than playing against the hottest defense in the NFL?

Granted it was the Rams and the Bears played a bit softer than usual but still. The Saints do not scare me and doubt their last in the league defense scares CKWon.
0%

The Niners, up to this week, were doing a WONDERFUL job developing him. Bringing him along slowly (ala Rodgers), and giving him some gametime experience so that the EVENTUAL transition would be smooth. By making him a fulltime starter with only 6 weeks to play, with the team vying for a SB title......this is not only going to bite the team in the ass, but potentially shatter his confidence if the team stumbles.

The Kaep era SHOULD begin in 2013, not midstream 2012.
Share 49ersWebzone